Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone want any DR boots?

Dave I can lend you a brand new pair if that helps. Pm me off line if you want to share risk am off to france tues or wensday a bit later than I thought but hey ho , well get there, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I've got a firm quote for the manufacture of them and it will work out at £180 a pair. I will go over on Monday and give them my pair to make the first prototype pair which I will post pictures of when I get them. I was hoping to sell them for £150 a pair but the manufacturer has looked them and is asking a little bit more than expected as he hadn't factored in things like the buckles and kick start plate. I've seen originals go for a lot more than this, especially in the larger sizes, so I guess this isn't too bad a price if they are a good as they say they will be and at least you can wear them without worrying about wearing out an original pair.
If anyone wants to opt out at this price just so I can vary the quantity accordingly please let me know, and if anyone new wants a pair please add yourself to the list.
I will not be asking for any money until you have seen the prototype pair, so do not feel obliged to have a pair if you have put your name down. I will only be doing this as a "one off" project and won't be repeating it unless there is a SUBSTANTIAL extra demand as it is taking quite a lot of my time and money.
The timescale will probably be at least a month before production starts, so even if you are only thinking about a pair at the moment let me know as you have a short while to start saving your pennies!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave
I am still in for a set, but, do you take PayPal? This would make it easier for me to pay from this side of the pond.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Hi, yes I will be taking paypal as a payment option.

Im still keen Dave .
Im not sure if 10 or 11 yet but will let You know during the week .
Please let Me know if You wish a deposit ?

Steve ..

(lost Your mobile number) .

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi, it's 07770 876479

Thanks Dave ..have the WM20 now & am enjoying it !
Need to sort out a speedo though ?

Steve ...

Thanks Dave ..have the WM20 now & am enjoying it !
Need to sort out a speedo though ?

Steve ...

HI Dave

Any more news on the boots

Regards

Carl

email (option): carl.chezz@cwgsy.net

I've got to ring next week to see how the prototype pair are getting on.

Hi dave ill have a pair of 10's please let me know when ready regards Gary

email (option): garypitt@talktalk.net

Has anyone got a knackered pair that they can donate for a very healthy discount on a new pair, they wanted to be able to lay them out as a pattern which they can't do if they are already assembled because of things like localised stretching for example on the heel which if they cut from an assembled pair would give an erroneous template as they would now have the stretch built into the template!
I only have a pair of near perfect original size 10s which for obvious reasons would be reluctant to take to bits. It dosen't matter if your pair have broken straps or odd faults, they only need them for the template, they can copy the straps etc from my own pair.
Dave

Dave, a very brave undertaking !

We make little in this country today, and good repro's of, for example WW1 ankle boots, will set you back about £180 if you insist on UK manufacture.............most original MoD footwear manufacturers were in Northampton, Bristol, etc, and many of these, often firms going back years, have folded in recent years due to MoD outsourcing to Europe and beyond.........

Both Soldier of Fortune (North Wales) and What Price Glory (USA based but ship from Dubai faster than most UK post) source much of their stock from India and Pakistan........MOST in my experience is bloody good quality and good value for money and the only real issue is their sizing can be a tad off sometimes.............but reading the customer reviews on WPG's web-site on their footwear, despite being made in India, it seems to be good quality and reliable.............

I might suggest approaching Jerry Lee, the proprietor of WPG, about DR boots...........he doesn't necessarily use the same suppliers as SoF and personally I have found his goods to be a better quality...............I have had a RAF BD and shirt from him and to be honest, it was top-notch and couldn't be faulted on quality, size, detail and price....shipping too (from Dubai) was excellent and faster and competetive with the UK............

Much of the commercial footwear and clothing we all wear every day is nowadays made in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Banja-Luka, etc...........and we don't generally complain about quality nor wearability..............sure, you need to keep a close-eye on manufacture and detail, but to obtain any order at anywhere near a competitive manufacturing and selling price today you will not find it in the UK..........

Speak to Jerry Lee at WPG mate I suggest.......he's a nice bloke......

The sad thing about this country is there's little determination on the part of the Government or anyone else to support British companies...It's no wonder most of them have 'gone west'....

Obviously prices are, and have to be an issue sometimes, but personally I try to buy home produced products where I can..I also try to use local businesses where possible....

Regarding replica boots I know two people who have bought Indian/Pakistani replicas of DR boots and they left quite a bit to be desired once put to use......

I haven't had any myself and I don't know at this point in time from which company they were sourced....

As is often the case with products from this part of the world the specification can be variable...I've seen some Indian made leather jerkins that weren't too good as well...

Nevertheless, I also have some replica uniform items which are pretty good...

I'm interested to see where this particular project goes, what sort of money the final product will cost...and what the quality is like...

Personally, within reason, I'd be prepared to pay more for a top quality, UK manufactured boot....

The above is an observation on what I have seen and an outline of my personal views...

In expressing those views I'm not looking to get into another discussion like the 'bearings thread'....

They are just my views and are offered in the interests of a balanced discussion...Ian.

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The quality will be as per the originals, when I have the prototype pair I will post pictures. The project was started early on this year and is still due to continue, it's just I haven't come across a pair that can be turned into kit form yet. The sizing of the pair that we can dismantle is irrelevant as they can size up or down from them.
The cost was to be finally announced after the prototype pair, they weren't cheap, but they were priced to compete with an original pair of size 10s in good condition. I stated to them that price was not the issue but quality and originality.

Don't rule-out overseas manufacture Dave, but you need to maintain an eye on quality..........Jerry Lee of WPG may be able to advise and help on reliable sources.........?

Just remember that most of the clothing we all wear day-to-day is made overseas........T-shirts, sweat-shirts, jeans, trainers, etc............never had an issue with any of it.................

I'm sure that a similar pair of civvy UK-made boots to the same size as DR boots would be around £150-upwards today if not far more...........but I agree with Ian and if you want a reliable, good quality item that will last for years then it's worth spending the money on a UK product.................but how many times will you realistically wear them ? If half a dozen times a year then that's not value for money spent so a cheaper but good overseas option may be preferable......?

DR boots were still made well into the 1970's.......they were used by MoD Police and the few service motorcyclist's still serving then..............my own DR boots are British made, dated 1974, Size 10L and were new when found at Netley about 6 years ago now for a very reasonable £20......... They are identical to the wartime-version.......and, since acquiring, I've worn them perhaps no more than 3 - 4 times....BD trousers and ankle boots being far more practical and comfortable...........DR boots were also made in metric sizes post-war for the Dutch and Belgian armies and apart from minor variations are also near-identical to the wartime examples................

I used to wear my first pair of DR boots a lot...I found them quite comfortable...A 2500 mile touring holiday round Scotland finally finished them off unfortunately....

I also have a post war pair that I got as replacements, which must be of very late manufacture...

I bought them in unissued condition for £10 from a chap I used to work with who did a lot of car boot sales....The uppers are identical to the wartime pattern but they have a rubber sole...

A lot safer to move about in but I had to add toe and heel plates to get the proper sound... ...

These I haven't worn so much, as it is so much harder to find good examples these days...I generally wear them in Normandy for D Day or other similar special occasions or events when I like to have 'DR' kit on....

I would certainly consider an additional pair if they become available....Ian

My 1974 WD-made examples Ian still have a leather sole on them.......they have heel irons but not toe irons nor hob-nails...................

Rubber soles may have been an "after-market" addition or fitted to later pairs....? I believe that these boots were still in production and listed until the late-1970s but I haven't got the relevant NSN lists to confirm..............

The one thing they always used to claim about DR boots.........."guaranteed to start anything"...........Lol....

Hi Steve...The boots were new (unused) when I got them and there's no doubt the soles were the original ones, not a later addition...

Possibly the same pattern boot was commissioned from the manufacturer by someone else, with the slightly different spec. (AA, RAC, Home Office, Fire Brigade, Forestry Commission, Milk Marketing Board etc. etc. or any of the other bodies who had motorcycle mounted staff...)...Ian

Hi Dave,
If you are still pressing ahead with this project, I have a pair of these that I am prepared to sacrifice to the cause.
Cheers Trev

email (option): knuckplucker31@internode.on.net

dave I have a brand new pair that have been soaking in neatsfoot oil for two years or more but alas they are impossible to get on as the leather will not flex, you can have these , as I buggererd up my riding pair whilst in Dunkirk this May, and now haven't any thing to wear unless I chop my toes off to get into a pair of NOS size nine that I have been saving , was hoping to give to my Grandson to wear but he's not sixteen yet and takes a size ten, give us a pm if you want andrew

email (option): warbikesat geee male dot comm (you will need to think about this)

Hi Dave
I would certainly still want a pair. Size ten as previously stated so I will keep an eye out for updates.
Thank you for taking so much time on this for the benefit of others. I really do appreciate your efforts.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone dot net

I would like a pair of size nine but after delivery if they are ok i would like another pair because if it is a one of thing i would then have a new pair on stock. Because where will we find them now and what would the cost of the fuel be chasing around finding them .

I would also be interested in a pair. Depending on how much $$ are we talking. There is a gentleman here in the US that manufactures them, but they are over $500.

email (option): mike.kaczorowski@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1