Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best paint for the cylinder head please ?

I sell wood stoves and the best over the last forty years and is easily availble is Senotherm ,(german) and sold under various qualitys and brand names, you need one that stands up to 800 centigrade , Jotul package one in Europe, we sell a tin of Jotul paint 400 ml rattle can This stuff is really heat proof and matt black when painted on virgin cast , so you have blast it first or you take a chance that what was on there before may lift off and takes the new paint with it and its not waterproof as most of these heat proof paints are not ,posted in uk mainland and not Ireland north or south, £11.00 plus postage at cost but if you buy more than one, postage the same remember its paint and difficult to send we have to use a courier andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

['its not waterproof as most of these heat proof paints are not']...

That pretty much says it all....I've tried all sorts of paint on my M20 but none of them last too long after a few runs in the rain... ...

Ceramic coating is the most likely to be successful as Douglas mentioned...but it's a very dear process in the UK at least....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Pot Belly Black is what I use, always over bare and preferably slightly rusted cast iron.
As said above, not waterproof but a quick squirt of penatrine or innox when you put it to bed for the season will work wonders.
It will burn off when the motor heats up but does not seem to lift the paint.
Usually lasts about 2 years

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Whatever they used on old Jaguar header pipes should do the trick!

Or.....paint liberally with old sump oil and go for a run. Stopping at traffic lights makes people stare!

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Ceramic works, no doubts. It is expensive but worth it. Why go to the trouble of rebuilding the engine only to have it look rusty after a year?
Wade

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Hi Wade...Something to think about in the UK...I got quoted £500 (838 U.S.D) to ceramic coat the two downpipes (headers) on my Sportster...and they are only about 20" long!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That bites, Ian. My last bill for two barrels, two heads, a muffler and a header was $400.00, here in Vancouver.
Looks like a good business for an enterprising WD chap who will keep the costs down. A bead blaster, a powder gun, an oven and some skill is required.

http://koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: Best paint for the cylinder head please/ ceramic coating

My WM20 is a few days away from completion and has not yet started, so I can't comment on the durability of the CERAKOTE products I used. See http://www.cerakotehightemp.com For the cylinder and head I used heat-dissipating black, the piston crown and combustion chamber, ex port and ex valve got Piston Coat. The piston skirt got the dry lube product. I have plans to spray the inside of the header pipe with TURBO COAT and the outside of the exhaust system with heat-dissipating black (or silver, can't decide.)

The products cost me about $250, with enough left for several more cylinders and pipes. Parts must be sand blasted, and most of the Cerakote products require curing in an oven. I have a blasting cabinet and old domestic electric oven in the shop. The ceramic coating was very straightforward to apply using a small detail gun. Not any more trouble than using powder or stove enamel.

The biggest negative is the intense chemical odor of the spray, so best to apply outdoors.

I posted some photos and descriptions last year that will come up if you search under my name.

Jeff Bandola

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

get your self some BBQ paint from B&Q i used that 15 years ago on a 1946 M20 and it still looks good beats the hell out of manifold paint !!

email (option): garypitt@talktalk.net

Nieuwe pagina 1