Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accessories for early carrier

Metal frames now there's an Idea hands up who can make em, got to be worth a go got to be better than plywood ,andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Perhaps Jan...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

I'll see if my buddy can take some photos of the frames, they were very cleverly made, fold up and everything.

Just spoke to him, he should have photos for me today or tomorrow. He explained a bit more about them, they're made of round stock rod and the ends of each rod are bent into an eye and joined together, so the thing collapses into a very small package of rods. Hard to explain, but the photos will show what I mean.

Gas detection paint: A couple of years ago, I bought a tin of the real stuff, dated 1942, from Hayes Otoupalik here in the US. It took quite a bit of stirring (you can imagine how it settled after sitting so long), but it was soon as good as new. I used it to paint a patch like this on the headlight of both my M20s, and the center of the "invasion star" on the hood of my Dodge WC51. I had to be careful-if any of it touched the white paint of the star, it turned a bright pink! The OD paint had no effect on it, though.

email (option): m20wc51@yahoocom

The Brit paint was initially bright yellow and then a sand/khaki colour...Very thick and hard to apply with a good finish...Though it might not have been like that when new..

I've run out of the small amount of original khaki paint I had...I do,however,
have a nearly full tin of the yellow/green American spec. paint which I would imagine we used as well....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just found this image online. Looks like there are two small packs attached over the DR jacket. Interesting with the rifle fitted, im guessing this wasn't widely done. The rifle bracket looks to be bodged on a bit to be an official thing

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/14941-ww2-motorcycles-only/page-9

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Good Grief...I posted that ! Another MP on Traffic Control. I think that the rifle fitment was far from typical and whenever we portray something that wasn't the norm, we're rather corrupting history. Whether that bothers you or not is a personal thing.

A large pack and a folded groundsheet would be fairly normal and those allocated a motorcycle would have been issued a pistol and later a Sten.

The motorcycle press of the period included a lot of the wilder experiments that never became common practice. Then, as now, the press had to fill column inches. The Norton Model 18 with a Thompson mounted on some sort of pintle is another example.

Rik
Good Grief...I posted that ! Another MP on Traffic Control. I think that the rifle fitment was far from typical and whenever we portray something that wasn't the norm, we're rather corrupting history. Whether that bothers you or not is a personal thing.

A large pack and a folded groundsheet would be fairly normal and those allocated a motorcycle would have been issued a pistol and later a Sten.

The motorcycle press of the period included a lot of the wilder experiments that never became common practice. Then, as now, the press had to fill column inches. The Norton Model 18 with a Thompson mounted on some sort of pintle is another example.

Thanks Rik, Am not going to try and copy rifle mount I was just curious about it.

email (option): martynhillyard@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1