Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spam on the forum

Yep a verification code will sort it out, DO IT HENK Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I have just added the image verification to the forum. My problem is that for some reason I have difficulties reading them and I often have to try and retry quite a few time.

We'll see what happens, I might remove it after a while.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Do they do them in braille for you blind blokes

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes we have to figure out a way to enter the forum for the blind bikers

Can you not use a sound aided version?

email (option): deadsheds [ at ] yahoo.com

Would it be possible to allow a 'preview' of a post without the verification, with the number just necessary for posting, or is it a take-it-or-leave-it package ?

I'd actually prefer registration but I know that goes against the grain with the old hippies on this site...

Somebody better tell me what 'image verification' is...I haven't a clue...

Cancel that...I've just realised it's those irritating fucking code letters...

As one of the old hippies myself I resent all forms of logging on and passwords....I try to avoid this most of the time to the extent that I don't partake of forums that require it generally....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Must say that the current SPAM is a real pain in the arse, and even more so for Henk who has to adminster this crap...........

Not so long ago that Ian joined the "IT" world !!! But this Forum is a better place with his lordship on here in my humble opinion........Ian's experience and mechanical know-how is hugely valuable to many, so thanks me old mate for your time......hugely appreciated Still not up-graded to a telly though, although with a computer you don't really need one anymore, nor a licence !!! - lol

What spam? Everything normal here for the last year??

Hi Henk,

As we know,
The verification is there in order to make it impossible
For spasm to be added automatically, and the characters are deformed
In such a way a computer cannot identify it and insert the code automatically.

If it is a must, as annoying as it is, then it must be done in order to avoid the spam,
But there is another thing that we can try before:

You can advertize inside a message on the top of the forum messages that the current code is,
Say :”BSA2”, and this "permanent" code, (which can be changed from time to time if needed)
Will be the key for publishing anything on the forum.

Yes, the code will basically be accessible for all,
But a computerized spammer will not be able to enter this thread, read the code,
And then insert it in order to publish a message.
We can try and see if for a month, or another period of time the spam will stop,
And we will get by without identifying the codes for every message.

Just a thought..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

That's a good idea, if it's possible to do

Some of the other forums I attend require quite a lengthy registration process. Obviously to eliminate the spam problem.

I'm quite sure it's a human person doing it here. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think its a computer doing all this spam. Its pretty obvious when you read it that its total random garbage, what is the point. Anyway I'm happy with the letters thing if it stops all that crap.

Just noticed some new spam on the forum, which means that the verification code "doesn't work". In other words, it must be a human person, not a computer, who's posting this rubbish...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I've been quite sure of that all along. I'm also sure some of us can guess his name and location. Obviously he has a problem in his head and his posts are best ignored and deleted. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Jan,

It does help quite a bit, I have removed a few hundred in the last 10 days. In the last 2 days I only had to remove 4.

I remove them as soon as I see them and hopefully I wear him out.

Henk

Hi Henk,

Good idea! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi henk, thanks for trying to keep the spam off, andrew

email (option): warbikes@geemale.com

Well done Henk and thanks for your time to keep this forum running

No troubles except your filter keeps on rejecting my posts saying it has detected spam

televison will rot your ceribal tissue

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Hi Trevor,

I see that you managed to get this one posted, what did you do different this time?

I can't change any settings, just add or remove the verification code to the forum. I am planning to remove it after a while and see if they stay away again with their spam.

I have posed quite a few things and had no problems myself.

Henk

The first 1/2 of the quote was "too much cheap"

Not that it worries me too much.
Spam is not a problem as I use a mac running deb linux and brows all forums & lists rather than doing individual emails.

This was obviously the reply to the thread about rubbish time wasting machines in your lounge room and agreeing with Ian

Keeping the forum clean is a good idea just the same & I appreciate the effort .
It was more a case of interest as to what the s filters were objecting to.

Some rubbish from microsloth tosses out every thing that does not originate from a windows pc I have found out over the years and some microsloth email applications flag all mac emails as mal wear or containing a virus.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Henk, just post the spam persons IP address here, that will scare him off!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@wel***.net

Nieuwe pagina 1