The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ammeter Restoration

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hi guys,

A couple questions. Does this ammeter from my M20 appear original?

Also, how do I get the little bugger torn apart to restore it? The fitted metal band around the glass seems to be on there and I'd rather not break it. What's the best way to get these off?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Ammeter Restoration

looks like a later ammeter,
the top metal ring is held on by 4 little metal tabs in a channel that can be carefully prised outwards to remove it from the unit if it is an earlier type, if it is the later plastic moulded body then they dont come apart, some careful action with a bit of fine wire wool should clean up the ring.

I think your ammeter should look like this

photo ammeter01_zpsdbf91233.jpg

My 16H was fitted with a post war MU42, although it was a genuine WD headlight. I took the ammeter from it to go in my DU42 until I get the correct one. As you can see, it says LUCAS, made in England, I don't know if they all said Lucas on them or not but yours may be a repro? Does it say anything on the back?

photo DSC_0481_zps3badae0f.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The correct ammeter is Horror's first picture A Lucas CZ27 (CZ= Centre Zero).
It might not be worth the effort to tidy yours up. You can buy the post war repro ones for a few quid. The originals can fetch up to £100 now. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The first picture posted by Horror is the correct one for the M20..A Lucas CZ27...They do still turn up but tend to be getting expensive now...anything between £75 and £140 on ebay. They still turn up more reasonably priced at the jumbles though...

I wouldn't bother to repair the one you have...There are some replicas that have a face that look more like the original type and would do the job until you find a correct one (assuming you want one)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think Ron and I might be sharing the same brain... .. ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the input guys. This one is pretty tired.

Can someone link me to a good replica option?

While we're on a similar subject: My M20 didn't come with a speedo. I realize originals can be quite expensive and difficult to find. Anyone have a decent option for something that would at least make do for the time being?

Try Hans Beck at http://www.beckelektronika.nl/ and email beckelektronika@planet.nl
He makes a nice speedo. Site is in Dutch but you can mail in English

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

If someone can supply me with a case I have a complete war model one without trip meter.The face is a little faded and a new needle is needed.I repair them as a hobby but slowly running out of spares.The only case i have is a car one with a push and turn bezel and windows on the side for illumination.The case would be alright for nacelle mounting.But really you could use any round chrono and just swap the face. But I haven't noticed any replacement faces without the trip meter cutaway.

Hi Douglas,there is a guy who makes the case,bezzle and ring.Unfortunately he
will not give his phone number or e-mail.He does the shows,Stafford and Founders
day at Stanford hall are two I have seen him at.I will be at Stafford,I can pick up what you need ,if he is there.Let me know
Cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Rick. There is a place over there that sells new cases but wont answer my emails. frustrating. http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/Chronometric_Instrument_Spares/chronometric_instrument_spares.html

Hi all,has any one got a pic of what the ammeter in the panel of the petrol tank on the 39 m21, i have read it should have a domed glass?. i do have a small CZ one for px.
Curt.

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1