Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FORM QUERY

I don't want to piss on anyone's firework as Ron says, but it was the same as the 50th 60th and no doubt the 70th,but as far as can see this form is for access into an exclusion zone, where the veterans and nobs are,IE,parking for a huge number of coaches and cars,there will be sit down areas, raised viewing seating, refreshments, first aid, toilets ect,and it is all designed to keep the general public out, however it will not hurt to remind the MOD, there will be lots of us types about, another bit of paper will always help , so best apply and swamp the MOD so they are reminded to pull their fingers out and address the issues of massed enthusiasts as well as deserving veterans, jockeying for space, As before the French will do as they please, it is after all their country last 60th we two bikes slipped out the IMPS campsite . and made our way out through the sand dunes , and were waved by the gendarmes into a convoy going to sword beach we met and spoke to THE Piper bill mallins, who was in a wheelchair, he was impressed that we were there at all and had a drink with us. coffee and calvados,, as the rest of the convoy were in American marked vehicles, and French at that, he remarked only the brits and Canadians landed on gold beach my grandson was five and kept falling asleep on the back of the bike, had to tie him on ,later on we collected ransom money to cross the pegauss bridge collected over £600 euros for the british legion just by waving a bucket about, what a day, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

btb
Sent mine last night, had a reply from the same chap this morning. I did put on my form that I was part of a large group(200+), I.e. 'The Normandy WD Bike Tour 2014'. The personalised reply commented on this and raised the point

Personally I would avoid this issue. We are not an organised group or registered club. We are merely a load of individuals arranging to meet up at the same camp site. As such you should just book individually. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Not sure how this effects us non-British European citizens, but I have filled in the form anyway and sent it off, but I saw the following on the web site.

"Cllr Adrian Scott Cox says:
04/04/2014 at 2:50 pm
Hello, I am the Town Councilor in Arromanches who is organizing the NVA Brit parade and all the Brit based Events here in Arromanches.
I am inpretty much daily contact with MOD, the Embassies (I’m also part of the organizing team for the Dutch Parade 500 strong with a few royals and PM’s sprinkled in amongst them as well).
I am really enjoying getting emails and unofficial website links daily, that tell me what the arrangements are here in Arromanches and what bits of paper people will need to get into the village, because none of these aspects are yet clarified.
Having spoken to the Dept Mil Attaché in Paris who is “lead” for the Arromanches Commemorations just 5 minutes (04/04/14) ago, and having met and talked regularly over the last 6 months with the Paris Mil Attaché and other members of his staff…it was interesting to find that the Embassy “Lead” had no knowledge of any of this “Accreditation” procedure, or “exclusion Zones”.
Similarly, the Regional and Local Police Reps in the Dutch Parade planning meeting here Wednesday were also unaware of any confirmed or clarified arrangements.
I Note that this form has been “obtained” in advance of the MOD site going live.
Having sat in MOD HQ HorseGuards and had a cup of tea with the Under Secretary of State for Defense in this House of Lords Office discussing the event planning, both within the last 3 weeks, I have to say I am somewhat surprised.

Sure thing is that the several thousand local French people who will flood into Arromanches for the events to meet the Veterans and certainly to watch the Fireworks on both the 5th and 6th….they will certainly not be filling out any forms !

The INTERNATIONAL EVENT with 19 heads of state is a very restricted event, but as of 04/04/14, being responsible for the British Event organisation for the Mayor and Mairie of Arromanches, I am unaware of any special requirements being necessary to visit our little Village.

This may change, but I wouldn’t panic about things just yet."

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Where did you find this comment, Mick ? Any chance of a link ?

I've just filled in the form anyway. I hope that it's not a giant piece of intelligence gathering by Big Brother or worse still, a fraudulent 'phishing' operation.

I asked for two vehicle passes and very much enjoyed filling in 'Khaki Green No.3', just to let 'em know what sort of person they're dealing with

As reason for visiting, I gave 'Independent tourist with interest in military history'. Nosey b*s*t*rds

Hi Rik, it was on this, under "5 thoughts on MOD DDay accreditation forms", schroll down the page.

http://dday70.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/mod-dday70-accreditation-form-available/

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Not wishing to stir any nests, I did however, reply to my confirmation with a comment....

Thanks
You are probably very busy but can you tell me who has decided to introduce this acreditation system with only 8 weeks to go?, when many thousands of private individuals and organisations have been planning their trips to Normandy for over 2 years. I expect your organisation to be very busy with thousands of applications from irate individuals!
I know none of this lies at your door, but it all seems a little late to me.
Richard

and reply.............

Dear Mr Purkiss,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are acting on the request of the French authorities, through the Defence Attache’s Office in Paris, to provide accreditation for all British individuals and vehicles entering the Normandy area during the anniversary period. Indeed, it is a large admin burden, but necessary if we are to ensure that our veterans are able to attend events for DDay70.

Yours faithfully,

Dominic Rotherham | Lieutenant Royal Navy

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Ron Pier
btb
Sent mine last night, had a reply from the same chap this morning. I did put on my form that I was part of a large group(200+), I.e. 'The Normandy WD Bike Tour 2014'. The personalised reply commented on this and raised the point

Personally I would avoid this issue. We are not an organised group or registered club. We are merely a load of individuals arranging to meet up at the same camp site. As such you should just book individually. Ron

I recognise where you are coming from Ron and realise why you may be saying it, but I seem to recall some good people on this site doing a lot of organising to get the WD Bike event together - so it is an 'organised event' in that sense.

One slant on it could be that if this 'pass' thing turns out to be genuine - and enforced, then the chap issuing the passes may look more favourably on those who declare they are part of an organised event, despite the 'first come first served' statement, as implicit in that there is a prior commitment on the part of the applicant to be at XYZ place on ABC day, yes? So that the system cannot be accused of scuppering the success of it.

I accept there are loads of different 'takes' on the situation, this is just one. I am always an optimist

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

As committee member of one of the British veterans associations and organiser for one of the events in Normandy which is to take place on 7 June, I can say that information such as this can cause some upset.

I have visited Normandy early Feb. to meet the Mayor of Port-en-Bessin, and he was not able to tell anything about restrictions in this period. The only thing known, is that the 'lock down' will start on 5 June, but will most likely only concern the restricted designated areas as stated in the form; the Bayeux Cathedral, the Bayeux cemetery, Ouistreham and Arromanches on 6 June. And as the Mayor of Arromanches wrote there should be no restrictions to go to his town, I doubt the restrictions apply to the whole of Normandy.

From my own experience going to Normandy annually, I can say there were no problems then, other than any attempt to get to the designated restricted areas. At the 60th I have been travelling freely between St. Mère Eglise and Port-en-Bessin without having to face any roadblocks or showing passes. I see no reason why this year would be any different.

The only problem which will occur, is attempting to go to the restrcited areas on the 6th. The 'lock down' starts on 5 June because of the arrival of the delegations and heads of state. Anyone who wants to get near these VIP's will therefor need security passes. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem, simply avoid going near these designated places.
It can be expected that most if not all of these delegations and VIP's will have left Normandy on the 7th!

email (option): m.de.bolster@xs4all.nl

I couldn't agree more Marc. It seems very odd to me that the French authorities have instigated this for the British only (as far as I know).

Perhaps they're still smarting about Waterloo Ron

Ron, perhaps they have done it deliberately because they know that the Brits are the only people who will rigorously enforce stupid rules that emanate from Europe. Give us some regulations to enforce and we spend months tying ourselves in knots leaving them free to organise the event and drink red wine. If you are not intending to go to any of these events then do not bother filling in the form. JT

Ok just sent off the form but think that this is more to do with veterans attending official events than us lot I'll play the game just in case but according to Richard Farrant and the MVT this form has nothing to with us !!

Not so Jeremy. I am in constant contact with Preston Isaac who is running the MVT tour. He tells me that they, and the IMPS are very worried about it and are advising all their members to apply. As I have done with our DR's

As the reply that Richard received,states "All Brit individuals and vehicles for the Normandy Area" Not just the events on the 6th. But as we already guess, it will probably come to nothing. Ron

Dear Mr Purkiss,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are acting on the request of the French authorities, through the Defence Attache’s Office in Paris, to provide accreditation for all British individuals and vehicles entering the Normandy area during the anniversary period. Indeed, it is a large admin burden, but necessary if we are to ensure that our veterans are able to attend events for DDay70.

Yours faithfully,

Dominic Rotherham | Lieutenant Royal Navy

What about the Dutch, and other allies...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

They obviously don't consider you as much of a threat Hans.

We are rôti de bœuf football hooligans Ron

I'm not sure what answers to give for some of these questions.

TOUR GROUP/ ASSOC/ ORGANISER? What are we calling our "Group" or "Tour", I'm assuming we are saying we're part of a tour as we've signed up to one and we're part of various parades etc? Or are we calling ourselves the WD Motorcycle Forum..? Or do we put the person ie Ron Pier/Ian Wright?
For the Bayeux parade we are travelling with the MVT

WHAT ARE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS? I have no idea, I'll be following everyone else..!!

WHICH EVENT(S) DO YOU PLAN TO ATTEND BETWEEN 5 - 8 JUNE? I was going to tick them all as I have no idea where we're going with out tour.

Would it be an idea to state some of these answers here so we are all admitted to the same events and have the same passes?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I have already stated. "WE ARE NOT AN OFFICIAL ORGANISED GROUP OR CLUB" You should book on as an individual. Here is the form that I scribbled out which anyone can use as a guide if they so wish.
I have received information that indicates that the French authorities have asked the MOD to sift for any terrorist sources. Ron
 photo Scan-140405-0002_zpsc04af140.jpg
 photo Scan-140403-0001_zpsa74d50c9.jpg

Ok, Thanks Ron, I thought we might need to write down the parades we're attemding to be allowed in that area? Port en Bessin Commando Parade, Bayeux parade, etc? But if you haven't stated that I won't either. Cheers

I've pretty well filled in the form the same as Ron

My completed form also looks similar to Ron's with Arrowmanche being my only 'choice' for the 6th, it was a bit of a guess and I'm pleased that someone has done the same as me!
I haven't had an email from the MOD confirming reciept though - has everyone else?

Re: Normandy disruption..

As I don't always get the time to look at the forum, Ron kidly emailed me the link to this thread. Having been to Normandy many times, I know what the cheese eating surrender monkeys are like.

On the 60th, we were stopped from getting to the beach by the Gendarmes whilst in a Jeep, even in uniform. We didn't let them piss on our chips though, as we still got to the beach anyway with some good old British inginuity :-) On the 65th all was fine on the beach, until Gordon Brown arrived. Not only did it start raining as soon as he arrived but the Gendarmes wouldn't even allow us out of Arromarche to get back to the campsite. So, as they had blocked all road junctions, I ended up off going off road on my Ariel to bypass all the road blocks to get back to the camp site throughly soaked. Therefore, I think it's a good idea to just fill in the form. You never know it might save you some hassle.....

jeremy tobin
Ok just sent off the form but think that this is more to do with veterans attending official events than us lot I'll play the game just in case but according to Richard Farrant and the MVT this form has nothing to with us !!

Just had email from Richard to confirm that the MVT are now taking this seriously !! so its not a late April fools joke appologies for any confusion on my part, order, counter order = disorder

It could be worse, the Germans could be shooting at you!

Today I was telling an ex-squaddy pal about this situation, he grinned and said 'funny, when my old fella was there back in '44, none of the Brits needed an MOD pass then'

By all means get this pass as a form of insurance...However, this is obviously something thought up by some bright spark in Whitehall or the MOD that can't possibly work in practice...

Firstly many UK based vehicle owners won't even get to hear about it at this late stage and no other military vehicle owners from any other country will have such a pass...including the French themselves...Does this mean they will all be excluded from these areas...?

There are thousands of tourists from many countries who also don't have this pass...will they be excluded too?

The Gendarmerie simply don't have the men on the ground to check everyone that comes along (particularly members of large groups)to see if they have any paperwork...

This has happened before (on the 60th. for example) to little effect...I rode for the whole day around Normandy on D Day that year (after being told movement would be impossible) and was only held up twice for two short periods...Once when the Canadian presidents motorcade passed by and once for a civic ceremony in a small town on the road to Pegasus Bridge...

Obviously if you head for a particular area on the day Presidents/Royalty are in attendance, there may be some restrictions...However, unless those people want to sit there by themselves all day people will be given access...

Probably the best plan if you want a quiet and unrestricted time is to go, on any given day, to areas where there aren't any dignitaries...

I had a Royal British Legion pass on the 60th. and it wouldn't get you into anywhere...I don't think the Gendarmerie even knew what it was....

I suspect this MOD pass will perform much the same function.. ...Could come in handy if you get caught short and have to pop behind a hedge though.. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Are the MOD still using Word 97? And the logos are just (badly) cut and pasted - is this form REALLY kosher??? Has anyone tried the telephone number shown?

I'm not totally convinced of the form's legitimacy (especially as the MOD doesn't even have a website running for this) but conversely can't see any benefit to scammers/thieves/skullduggerers from the info gained......

Who knows? It would be a crying shame to go all the effort of rebuilding a wreck and riding there only to find that we're locked into our campsite for 4 days {:(

Rick

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk

If you really think about it the frence want us there. We are just on one campsite with into hundreds of peaple paying .Just think of all the other sites.Then there is all the none military peaple from england all staying and eating somewhere in normandy do you really think they want this crap putting peaple of from coming i think not. As churchill nearly said why have so few spoilt it for so many.

This was my thinking but then I googled the "Lieutenant Dominic Rotherham" in Ron's reply and he is legit ...

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2013/March/21/130321-Culdrose-Shelterbox

Morning everyone, I phoned one of the numbers on the form just now and spoke to a gent who identified himself as being at the MOD. Unless it is a very well set up and elaborate hoax I am satisfied it is legit. He said the MOD are administering it at the request of the French Authorities. No, he does not know how they are going to administer or enforce it at the French end and he laughed and agreed that it was probably going to be an impossible task. He was however certain that in some geographic areas around the key commemorative events 'you will not get in if you do not have a pass'. I questioned if he knew if 'tourists' would be stopped coming off the boat as they made their way to their hotels; he answered he did not know the answer to that but thought that if someone's hotel was inside the restricted area then they may have a significant problem getting there if they did not have a pass and that is why (quote)'we are trying to get all these out and that people should apply for one'. I said I would be staying 'near Port En Bessin', and he was not sure if that was in a restricted area. But Arromanches certainly was. Whatever the pro's and con's I reckon getting a pass has to be a 'must' just to avoid the potential of being inconvenienced.

From previous experience I'd bet these 'restricted areas' will only be restricted when there is a dignitary of sufficient importance present to cause a security concern ...

I also think in reality the effect will be 'patchy' at best...

The system that they are attempting to put into place is too little, too late and very poorly organised...Most of the tourists in France won't even have heard of it...It's a miracle the contributors to this forum have heard of it....

To achieve anything more than a minimal level of 'take up' the pass system should have been made public months ago and 'special interest' groups such as Military Vehicle owners made aware of it through their own clubs/subject related publications etc. etc....

It is entirely typical of French bureaucracy, which in my experience, grinds along at a snails (escargots) pace and suffers from multiple divisions of responsibility, that they have come up too late with a half baked plan...

Merde...they couldn't organise an escape if the door was open... ...Ian

I've just let some friends know about this, they are travelling to Normandy on modern bikes and are nothing to do with any WD vehicle club. There is no way they would have found out about this. This is ridiculous and far too late to set up now.

For what it is worth I have asked a pal of mine for his steer on all this. He is a town councillor at Arromanches and so might be in the know.

Dunney

email (option): s.m.dunneatbtinternet.com

Had a response from my chum on the council at Arromanches. He says that this is 100% legit. He says the idea is that you will get a stcikcer for your vehicle which should make moving about a bit easier.

He adds that Arromanches will be a no go area from before 8.00 am. If you get in before thn you will have to stay all day although there is lots going on. Dutch Royal Family and Prime Minister scheduled to attend. Chris Evans is also broadcasting his show from there in the morning.

Dunney

email (option): s.m.dunneatbtinternet.com

Some of us are already in contact with Adrian. Ron

Someone on that council has no idea whats going on if our do was planned a year ago how come all this has come to light in the last week .And if its shut down at eight in the morning the dutch royal family and the prime minister are going to be lonely but then they can always talk to chris evans .

That dickhead Chris Evans isn't really going to be there is he?...Ian

Ian Wright
That dickhead Chris Evans isn't really going to be there is he?...Ian
Yes he is representing the royal family

I heard he is parachuting on to the beach before he starts his broadcast.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller
I heard he is parachuting on to the beach before he starts his broadcast.

Rob

There could be snipers I'll bring a catapult and a bag of ball bearings. Metric size, wouldn't waste Imperial on him

What a palaver this event seems to be becoming.

Just don't come back via Calais in a truck, or you might pick up some unwanted PoW's at the terminal.

If that self agrandising prat Evans really is pulling a stunt on the beaches it seems to me to be very disrespectful, what with the politicos and otherr hangers on is it not becoming some kind of circus?

Don't waste ball bearings onthe prat just quiz him on his actual knowledge of the days events in 1944.That'll sort him out.

Good luck to you all.

I think we should forget this thread for a month because nobody knows whats happening even the frence .But we do know we are doing the run somewhere near the campsite so we should put our efforts into making this work as ron has put so much time into this for us yes for us. Instead of worrying where we cannot go .As we may not be going there anyway.

Ian,

If it's the 'actor' he will attract a lot of beautiful girls for sure...
and I can see no disadvantage in that for us...

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Sven, it's the gobby idiot Chris Evans from BBC, no actor for sure.

I've applied for a pass for my van as well as the bike, you never know I may get a puncture and have to pick it up.

Shush Horror! Do you want to become the camp site recovery man?

Ron

Why don't we invade Arromanches on 6th via the beach. We can access it at the next village along and I bet there will not be anyone standing on the beach asking for our passes. After all this is how they arrived on Gold beach 70 years ago and it would be a great tribute to the vets? Low tide is 11.30 am. JT

Man with a van with a pass... Special D-Day rates

John Tinley
Why don't we invade Arromanches on 6th via the beach. We can access it at the next village along and I bet there will not be anyone standing on the beach asking for our passes. After all this is how they arrived on Gold beach 70 years ago and it would be a great tribute to the vets? Low tide is 11.30 am. JT
We did that at the 60th and got right up to the queen.

It's what Preston usually does with his MVT convoy. They enter the beach at Asnelles and travel the mile or so to Arromanches. They should have enough beach by 7 am after their wreath ceremony. Ron

Below is what a friend got as an answer from the Bayeux Office of Tourism, hope this helps, Lex

Bonjour,

We are pleased to reply to your request.

We do not have any information about restrictions or passes as for now.
You may check or contact the official website: www.the70th-normandy.com

We also invite you to visit the website of the tourist office of Bayeux
: www.bayeux-bessin-tourisme.com , where you will especially find the
manifestations, the main events and news of the territory.

Looking forward to seeing you !

Sincerely,

L'équipe du Service Accueil
OFFICE DE TOURISME DE BAYEUX
Commission Pôle touristique du Bessin
D-Day Normandy - Bessin Cotentin
Pont Saint-Jean - 14400 Bayeux
Ligne directe : 02 31 51 28 28
Fax : 02 31 51 28 29
info@bayeux-tourism.com
www.bayeux-bessin-tourisme.com/en

email (option): welbike@wel***.net

Lex,
This makes sense! Thanks.
Keep us informed.
In the name of all loving two-wheeled(*) British vehicle owners!

(* = three included)

email (option): p.pauwels@hetnet.nl

The MoD website is now up and running and additionally they have now stated that they are only accepting new 'accreditation' applications from Normandy veterans and their families.

More realistically, the travel advice now only seems to apply to 6th June itself and to certain locations / roads....which is of course what everbody expected anyway.

There is a link from the MoD site to one containing general travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Ofice including a much more specific map.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accreditation-and-funding-for-d-day-70-commemorations-in-france

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/travel-advice-for-the-70th-anniversary-of-the-normandy-landings

In the meantime, Her Majesty's Government now has more detailed personal information about a number of her citizens than any democratic government has a right to ask for or indeed to obtain without a warrant...I just hope that their computer system is secure or else the UK arm of 'Eastern European Burglaries International' will have a field day while everyone's away (and their cousins will be doing exactly the same in France as they know when your tent will be empty...)

Well thanks for that Rik. What a bloody waste of time f*ck up that was! I imagine the sudden rush of applications has made someone have a re-think.

Ron

Now reading through that MOD website. What about this part?

All applications that have been submitted to date will be processed, however the D-Day 70 team wish to ensure that all veterans, their families and those who are accompanying them are accredited as a priority. Other members of the public wishing to travel to Normandy will need to accredit via the French authorities and contact details will be added to this website shortly.

Ron

I've just had this from MOD. Ron

From: Pers Trg-DS Sec-CECT Mailbox (MULTIUSER) [mailto:PersTrg-DSSec-CECTMailbox@mod.uk]
Sent: 11 April 2014 09:40
To: Ron Pier
Subject: Events pass application

Dear Mr Pier,

A little more up-to-date information for you which we have only just received ourselves:

• Firstly, the MOD is no longer accepting accreditation forms from those who are not Normandy veterans, their direct families or their travelling companions. All applications from the general public must be sent to the French authorities.

• At the moment we do not have contact details for the department in France responsible for general accreditation, but we will release these as soon as we know. This will doubtless be frustrating news, but please understand our priority must be to the Normandy Veterans.

• The cordon will only be in effect, covering the area previously notified, on 6 June. Therefore, if you are not crossing into the cordoned area on the 6 June, accreditation will not be required.

• If you are already within the cordon before it is put in place (0600 on the 6 June) and you are not attending formal events; only the vehicle and driver need be accredited to allow free movement within the cordon.

• Normandy Veterans and their party (and the vehicles transporting them) wishing to enter from outside the cordon boundary once it is in operation will need to submit accreditation forms (please note, if you are not a Normandy Veteran and party, this application must be made to the French Authorities direct).

I understand that these facts are a change to what was previously notified, for which I can only apologise. We are working as hard as we can to obtain up to date information on where accreditation is needed from the French authorities. When we know we are passing this information on.

The link www.gov.uk/mod/dday70 will be shortly activated but for now this website will give you all the information you need: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accreditation-and-funding-for-d-day-70-commemorations-in-france. Alternatively, visit www.the70th-normandy.com.

Therefore, I have attached the form to this email, however it should not be returned to us, but to the appropriate French authority, whose contact details will be published as soon as we know them. (All applications we have received up to this point will still be processed, and we will pass the information onto the French for you.)

Yours aye,

Stuart Lowe
Stuart Lowe | Lieutenant Royal Navy | MOD Ceremonial Events & Commemorations Team | MOD Main Building, London, SW1A 2HB | Civ: 0207 218 7917 | Mil: 9621 87917 | Email: PersTrg-DSSec-CECTMailbox@mod.uk |

Interesting... a fuck up on a monumental scale with full sloping shoulders and one side having no idea at all what the other is doing... ...

I'm sure Lieutenant Lowe (RN) would be familiar with the term 'Cake and Ass Party'....Ian

Its definitely a F.U.B.A.R

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Just looking at the letter Ron, they say from 0600 on the 6th but no end time. Just wondering if cordon/restriction may be lifted in time for the GWR run, the Royals may have to get back for their tea

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

I'm hoping that my proposed location for the run will be unaffected by it.

Ron

As this is an open forum (read by anyone) it may be best not to publish it here?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Quite right Rob.

Ron

French Gov.(?) page now up and running.

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/commemorations_normandy_2014_useful_info.htm

Ian Wright
'Cake and Ass Party'

What's....a....cake and ass party?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi Matt..it's a derogatory term used by lower ranks in the Royal Navy to describe a gathering of Officers, either for a party or to organise something...The general idea is they are not going to achieve much....

They have the cake first.. ...Ian

Rob Miller
As this is an open forum (read by anyone) it may be best not to publish it here?

Rob

Hi to all, There are 2 of us with M20's travelling to Normandy from NE UK & would like to meet up with you at some point, will it be possible to e mail details of your intended runs & meeting points so we can join in. Our camp site is Le Brevedent 14130 Pont-L'Evêque to the east of Pegasus Bridge.

Many Thanks

Paul

email (option): pbrowning@talktalk.net

Question to all Dutch guys and gals

Who is doing what with respect to all this administrative bull shit?

Wat mot ik ermee??

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Rob,

I just read the form which was put up at the official site. If I read it correctly if we stay clear of any of the forma international or binational events, we don't need the permission and they can stuff this where the sun doesn't shine.

regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Hi Guys,
just received this email, no doubt many of you have as well-
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Defence (MoD) regarding accreditation to be in Normandy and/ or attend DDay 70 commemorations and events on 6 June.
The MoD is only assisting Normandy Veterans (+ their families and travel companions) to obtain accreditation from the French authorities.

However, as we received your submission/ application prior to 10 April, we have forwarded your application to the French Authorities on your behalf at the National Office for Veterans and Victims of War of Calvados / sec.sd14@onacvg.fr Any applications received after the 10 April will not be processed by the MoD and must be sent to the French Authorities direct. Information regarding the process can be found at http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/practical-information/f-a-q/?lang=en
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued travel advice for British Citizens wishing to make the journey to Normandy here.
Also, do keep up to date by checking for latest news on www.gov.uk/mod/dday70 or www.the70th-normandy.com.

Yours faithfully,

Dominic Rotherham
Looking at the cordon map it looks like people coming off the ferry at Caen my be stopped in their tracks!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

ive had the same reply and am still none the wiser!!!!!!!!

email (option): adriancrossan@tiscali.co.uk

so now i am totally confused !

do we need a pass or not ?

and who do we ask as mine's been bounced by the mod ?

chris B

email (option): chris.astinbarker at btinternet.com

Chris the MOD have stated that they will process all applications submitted up to 10th April. But it sounds like the restrictions will only apply on 6th June and for certain areas that we can keep away from. I'm not going to worry about it any more at this stage. If you've followed this thread, you will see the the English right, doesn't know what the French left is doing. Ron

A Normandy local over on WW2t forum has been trying unsuccessfully to get a reply from l'Office National des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre, or ONACVG

I hope they won't mind me copying and pasting here :-

"No reply from ONACVG , nor the70th Anniversary website

Yesterday I asked in the Tourist office in Bayeux, they have had no notification of an Exclusion Zone ( yet) and were amazed when I said my information is from the 'British Embassy' in Paris. All they could do was to advise me to keep looking on the 70th Anniversary website, to e-mail the Mairie in Creully where we have attended the ceremony every year, apart from the 60th and 65th when the roads were blocked. Will keep you all informed when/if I receive a reply"

Whilst I think that we can expect the usual measures, the more that I read of this, the more I suspect that a clerk at the MoD got his knickers in a twist and overstretched his schoolboy French after receiving a mail referring to accreditation for events and possible road closures for the region. The two things don't really seem to be linked and only the MoD have ever seemed to think that they are.

If you ask me, it all went tits-up when they changed from being the War Department.

It went 'tits up' when they embarked for France and Belgium in 1939... ...Ian

Ian Wright
It went 'tits up' when they embarked for France and Belgium in 1939... ...Ian

it didn't go too well in 1914 either....

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Or 2014.. ..Maybe we should stop doing it....Ian

I've seen mention that there is to be a feature about the accreditation problems on ITV news at ten tonight (I won't be able to see it though).

It'll probably be about the 'Veteran' / Ceremonies access problem rather than the area vehicle passes. The publicity can't hurt though.

The closer it gets without action, the less I can see the Normandy tourist industry putting up with a week long exclusion zone.

This just keeps getting better. There is now information circulating in France that locals can apply for a traffic pass but that those temporarily staying in hotels or campsites must request it from the accomodation operator who will apply with a copy of the guest registration card on arrival....They're just going to love that extra admin...

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/52725-latest-d-day70-news-from-mod/page-6

So it seems that as residents on the day, we should be able to get a pass...but it will depend on the efficiency of the campsite...Get in early, Chaps !

I can't be bothered now Rik, I'll go to the campsite bar and get drunk

Me too.......Mrs M has decided that I can go off to Normandy (probably glad to be rid of me for a while !!!).........so will bung the ML in the back of the 4 x 4 and use it as a tent with the bike outside...........I will play it by ear when there, I will remain uninterested in politics over the period (as I am now)....if I can't go into a particular area or down a particular road it won't bother me....I'll just turn around and go elsewhere..........past caring now.......

Steve Madden
Me too.......Mrs M has decided that I can go off to Normandy (probably glad to be rid of me for a while !!!).........so will bung the ML in the back of the 4 x 4 and use it as a tent with the bike outside...........I will play it by ear when there, I will remain uninterested in politics over the period (as I am now)....if I can't go into a particular area or down a particular road it won't bother me....I'll just turn around and go elsewhere..........past caring now.......

Steve, if you're riding a stinkwheel, you'll do what you're told and that means staying at the back of the group !

I will play it by ear when there, I will remain uninterested in politics over the period (as I am now)....if I can't go into a particular area or down a particular road it won't bother me....I'll just turn around and go elsewhere..........past caring now.......[8-)

My sentiments entirely Ron

Rik
This just keeps getting better. There is now information circulating in France that locals can apply for a traffic pass but that those temporarily staying in hotels or campsites must request it from the accomodation operator who will apply with a copy of the guest registration card on arrival....They're just going to love that extra admin...

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/52725-latest-d-day70-news-from-mod/page-6

So it seems that as residents on the day, we should be able to get a pass...but it will depend on the efficiency of the campsite...Get in early, Chaps !

Yep...it just so happens that yesterday I received an email from our campsite in Luc-sur-Mer asking that if we want to go anywhere on the 6th then we will each need to have a pass and sticker. They (the campsite owners) will apply to the Mairie on our behalf if I furnish vehicle and personal details of our six strong party by the 25th May.

Personally I think we'll have a maintenance day.

Rick

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Sounds like a viable option Rick, but I have to get from our camp site at Etreham to Creully to by 0830 on the 6th to take part in the 4/7th Dragoon Guards commemorations.

Can anyone let me have a link to a map of the exclusion zone?

TTFN
Ian

I think that I'll have a day off the black stuff. Let's Off Road, Mate !

The current zone map is so vague and huge as to be meaningless. However, tomorrow (30th April) is supposed to be the day that the French reveal all !

We can only hope that we soon have something more definite to go on.

OK Chaps, the Prefet de Calvados gave a conference this morning and has issued a press release.

There will indeed be stickers but they will only be needed on 6th June. Outside of this, there are no restrictions. The zone reduces in size at 14.30 hours on 6th June. It looks as if those without stickers might be stuck on the campsite on the morning of 6th June but after 2.30, Etreham is no longer restricted.

Stickers will be available at the town halls, on production of the registration document and proof of (temporary) residence. If I'm reading it correctly, the request needs to be justified such as on the grounds of 'economic activity'...Does that include shopping ?

http://www.calvados.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/DP_final_30avril.pdf

So the good news is that the record run in the evening should be OK...

This means the morning can be used for maintenance and kit inspection.

...and now in English

http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/dedicated-areas/traffic/?lang=en

Looks like we're confined to barracks then and I'm assuming we can only get a pass with a good reason to have one. Happy 6th June

H., No, as I read it, those with proof of (temporary) residence are eligible for the vehicle pass...We live there ! This is really the ideal situation as we can apply due to the morning closure round Etreham but it'll keep most of the casual tourists away !

If it's too busy at the town hall to get a pass beforehand then worst case is that we're caged until half-past-two. A few beers Thusrday night, a lie-in and a leisurely cooked breakfast will take me round to then anyway !

It's really a disgrace that these heads of state result in a shut-down like this, they should helicopter them in and out in a small area. This is for 'us' not them.

FUBAR big time and honoured to use that phrase as they did 70 years ago, same now as it was then. I'm really tempted to join John and go the beach way, but ultimately is it disrespectful to the veterans who will enjoy the formal remembrance. If its like it was at the 65th, we should get stopped and let through and understandably restricted from those who call themselves more important than the rest of us.

http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/dedicated-areas/traffic/?lang=en

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

So if you go out for a ride a.m. on the 6th without a pass, whats the worst that can happen? The rozzers tell you to turn around and then you try another route. It might be a bit of fun. I doubt they will be standing at the campsite gate stopping us from leaving.
Cheers, Mick.

personally I quite fancy a trip to the beach for 6am,I know the tide will be in but I would like to pay my respects at the time the landings started so as long as I am away from the campsite and out of the exclusion zone by 5.30 that will be problem solved and a good incentive not to drink too much the night before
Nigel

email (option): ford369@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1