Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HRH Queen Elizabeth II on a WD Motorcycle

Can anybody identify the bike that Her Royal Highness is riding? Looks like it has extended footpegs (anti-tipover precautions?) Maybe a C10?

Re: HRH Queen Elizabeth II on a WD Motorcycle

It's a Royal Enfield Model D. But it's not her Royal Highness. Just someone who looks similar. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Come on Ron, it might just be that our HRH was a closet Greaser in her youth :-)

Absolutely! Lilibet might have been a biker! But this picture was taken around 1940 when she was only about 14. I don't think her stint in the ATS started till around 1945 when she was 18. Ron

Keep this under your hat, but there is another story to be told here.

truth is she bought this secretly from Pride and Clarke much later than is here assumed, did a load of work on it and then got a younger stunt double to ride it. Photo was actually taken much later when she discovered that if you went down stockwell you could get frames for £2 10 shillings and complete recon engines for little more. It was an early rebuild she attempted. Part of her efforts to show her independence from Phil while also trying to encourage Charles (then a teenager) to get a serious skill for later life (she was right to question his interest in architecture and polo - where have they got him).

She actually did win a couple of awards for conkers later but always entered under another name.

This is just one more reason why i so admire her Maj. long may you live Ma'am and lets keep your lovely M20 that has pride of place in the sitting room strictly between ourselves.

http://www.motoress.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=801&c=motoressence

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

The pictures of HM working on the Tilly and K2 Ambulance are well known from 1945. But I don't agree about the motorcycling. The article even states the wrong make of bike
It's a Royal Enfield Model D from about 1939.
 photo Scan-140330-0003_zps0622de12.jpg
Here is the 1939 WD version (WD/D)

photo collection052_zps6da00cf9.jpg

Ron

Ah Hah! I've found the thread where we discussed this before. The picture was published in a motorcycle mag in 1942. Ron

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1220276&cmd=show

As A young Rocker I used to visit Brighton for 'Fun & Games' and I'm sure she was there throwing mods and their 3 speed hairdryers off the pier.....
For some reason the coppers never arrested her, possibly due to the armed, close protection team she had.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

now you mention it, I think I saw her too. mind you she did say she had a soft spot for BSA Sunbeam scooter!!!

I'll ask her later when she comes to tea.
At least then we'll talk about something other that that halfwit toff Cambo and the Claggeron as she calls them.

She don't half go on. If she bring Phil it'l keep him off the EU subject bloody frogs and krauts, you should hear him.

Must dash got to get some crumpets in,

Nieuwe pagina 1