Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rubber Covered Electrical Cable/Wiring

Just arrived and as all have said its good,looks like there will be a wiring harness for an ariel on Ebay next week, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi
Just to let you all know, I did go out of stock momentarily but have now had a new batch made here is the link; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Classic-Motorcycle-Rubber-Insulated-Wire-Cable-Rudge-AJS-Norton-/201055532041?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecfd7f409

email (option): duncan.lloyd@lineone.net

It's damn good stuff Duncan, and as you say just like the original........thanks for your efforts in making this product available at last.......

The average WD bike (eg - M20, etc) needs on average about 5 meters of wire, possibly slightly more if you are adding dip-switch and stop-light switch............most of the parts lists however only specify the quantity of wire "as required"...........

I'm interested in re-wiring my bike with this wire. One question I have: for example, the large number of wires coming from the headlight shell, are they bundled in some sort of tape to form a wiring harness or are they just all individual wires somehow secured to the frame at various points?

The wires coming out from the headlamp panel were usually encased within a thin-walled length of black-rubber sleeving........this ran to roughly the point beneath the saddle at the rear of the fuel tank and secured to the frame top-tube with sprung-steel clips (although some very late machines used the "strip, aluminium, pliable" as an alternative)............

Thin-walled rubber tubing may be a tad difficult to get nowadays but maybe try modern black PVC non-shrink tubing "dulled-down" with a "Brillo" or "Scotch-Pad" to resemble rubber..............?

The 'thinnest' bicycle inner tube that you can find works well but you'll need to turn it inside out to hide the mounld lines and that's a bugger of a job.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Steve Madden

Thin-walled rubber tubing may be a tad difficult to get nowadays but maybe try modern black PVC non-shrink tubing "dulled-down" with a "Brillo" or "Scotch-Pad" to resemble rubber..............?

Instead you can use the smallest dia bicycle inner tube (after turning it inside out to avoid mould lines) and make a perfect replacement as some of the forum experts have said!

Thanks guys, I've got a bunch of the inner tubes and will give that a try!

Re- turning the inner tube inside out. Try this- once you cut the tube to length, (ADD A COUPLE INCHES EXTRA) find a piece of cord about a foot longer. Pass it through the tube, leaving a few inches extra. Hole punch the end of the tube, then tie off the cord to the end of the tube. Rub some talc or starch on the outside as a lubricant, Start the end inside itself, then pull it through via the cord. A bit awkward until you get it started, but once you get started it usually pulls through quite easily. Turns that sucker inside-out lickety split!

Great idea, I will do it that way. The heat shrink arrived today, now just waiting on the wire from England.

I've been buying the black braided cable for years from "Electrical Engineering Services" I always buy a bunch of his little coloured cable ID rubbers.
info@classic wiring.co.uk

Ron

photo 16H013_zps0ed6d604.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You'll have to rewire that bike now in rubber cable

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Absolutely. Cloth-covered is for softies. A bit like BD with a lined collar !

Ron, any chance of a picture of the rubber sleeves ? I think that I need some !

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Ron, please, no more misinformation! you're a bit behind the facts now

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@sameagain.net

I'm not misinforming anyone Lex. I'm merely saying that I buy rubber ID tags from the guy that I have been buying cable from. Take it or leave it. Ron

photo 16H234_zpsc9b31664.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Got my wiring today, great stuff! The 1/4" heat shrink tubing I got works great for the color sleeves. Now all I have to do is figure when I want to take the bike off the road for re-wiring, it was 80 degrees and sunny this weekend!

Mark, you don't live in the UK do you, !! I think it got up 14c on sunday Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nope, sunny north Florida. We were supposed to get rain all weekend but the weatherman did the job he normally does and it turned out nice and sunny for most of the weekend.

['but the weatherman did the job he normally does and it turned out nice and sunny for most of the weekend']...

I think he sent it my way...We had so much rain over Sunday/Monday the river near me looked like it was going to burst its banks...for only the second time in the last 35 years!... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1