Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton spark plug

Does anyone have the current Champion 18mm and NGK 18mm plug numbers for the Norton 16H?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Norton spark plug

Green Spark Plug sold me a Champion D9 as equivalent to a KLG M80. There seems to be a range that's OK these days. Err on the cold side. Certainly colder than an M20

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

How is it with the lenght of the thread? when fitting a "normal" 18mm plug, it only goes halfway in the hole, there is an KLG ML50, that goes down deeper, it says 3/4" but think it's more.

Original Mica plugs do pop up from time to time, and they work well.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@sameagain.net

I run the 16H on a NGK A6 or A8...(can't remember exactly which one atm) but it starts and goes fantastically and never had a plug failure with NGK.....I have a KLG M80 still in the box...not tried it out yet..............

Fitting too short a plug that results in it being 'shrouded' by the remainder of the plug hole tends to slow down combustion and can effectively 'retard' the ignition timing...

The effect of this in my experience with M20s is quite pronounced, to the extent that it has a detrimental effect on engine performance and results in noticably higher running temperatures...

If that situation is unavoidable, experimenting with 'advancing' the spark beyond the normal setting might well pay some dividends...Ian

I think that we've mentioned before on the forum that there seem to be several depths of Norton head, around the plug area.

I've not used anything apart from M80s, but only the later one-piece versions. The detachables and the mica KS5s are still on the shelf.

photo PC231029_zps184bb430.jpg

photo PC231030_zpse5b38047.jpg

You showoff!!! but I have secret inside information, that some plugs are made in France!!!

Cheers,

Lex

It's not where they are made these days...it's how well they are made...Ian

Lex Schmidt
You showoff!!! but I have secret inside information, that some plugs are made in France!!!

Cheers,

Lex

You can't see from here though Lex. There are no french letters visible in the photos !

The French though do have a name for the hobby of spark plug collecting - scintillaphilie !

'Anorakaphilia'...I know... I have my own collection...

Hopefully though, now my ankle is getting better I can get out more.. ...Ian

Haha, some people collect french letters!! with or without contens!!

Cheers, see you saturday,

Lex

Original Equipment plugs for Nortons

A well-known dealer on the scene is selling a KLG KA4 mica sparking plug with the recommendation " 18mm plug...Looks good in Norton Toolkit..."

http://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk/parts/other-ww2-bike-spares/klg-spark-plug-tin-with-nos-18mm-plug-ka4/

It may 'look good in the toolkit', that's a matter of opinion...but it certainly won't fit the engine...The KA4 is a 13/16" reach American A.L.A.M. ("Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers") plug !

KLG-1933-7a-2

Not really visually the same thing at all as the correct KS5 specified for late 1930s 18mm threaded Nortons.

KLG-1933-7-2

Re: Original Equipment plugs for Nortons

I running a champion D16 plug on my current project and it seems to be ok, Les at Russell’s said it’s should be ok to use. hope this helps.

Barry

Nieuwe pagina 1