Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: magneto loan

Roger, I have a spare re,coned M20 Mag I could lend you,But loan only, Its not for sale or swap, Pm me about pick up,andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

I've only had one dud magneto in 45 years! You guys surely are unlucky.

I personally I've not had a duff mag myself, but I work on British bikes all the time and so with working with them all the time you tend to come across all kinds of problems. My mag rebuilder is supplied by someone else who supplies quite a lot of other well known rebuilders as well, so there may well be more duff ones put there.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I have brought one of the britespark electronic condensers the instructions are not very informative 2 things that puzzle me you take the points off and the rear plate you can see a bearing and a brass cup which the carbon brush earth runs on I understanding that the condenser is under this brass cup I assume you need to pull the bearing off but will the brass cup just come off easily or are there wires connected to it I don't want to break anything your knowledge will help me thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Most of the time condensers go open circuit so fitting a Brightspark unit would mean no stripping of the magneto. On the rare occasions that you get a short circuit then you would need to strip down the magneto.

email (option): iandot clare1at virgindotnet

I'm still using standard spec Lucas magnetos..
Over the years there have been a few cases of defective/incorrectly specified components in the market but on the whole the Lucas units still give good, reliable service after an overhaul...

I have had over 500 units overhauled in the last 20 years or so and have had failures at very low percentages...Also, some of these failures have been mechanical, not electrical...

There are alternative electronic units and things like the Brightspark condenser to consider but I would caution against assuming that a standard magneto is no longer a viable option...

That certainly isn't my experience ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

my magneto had a good spark I could stretch it to just under an inch and still have a good blue spark but it wouldn't start the bike it would only give 2 firing stroke the first time you tried to start it then any further kicking would produce nothing come back the next day and the same would happen again for the price of the britespark I thought I would give it a try

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Just bought an old maggy yesterday for 50 bucks at a swap meet. cleaned the points fitted a pickup and a monster spark came out. I'll stick to old used ones any day!!

Roger - Feb 22, 2014
I have brought one of the britespark electronic condensers the instructions are not very informative ...

Sorry to hear, Roger, that you didn't find the instructions very informative. Our email acknowledging your order, the packet containing the EasyCap, and the accompanying schematic drawing, all refer customers to the very detailed instructions on our web site at http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/condensectomy. I suggest you have a look there.

All the best,

Ken
http://brightsparkmagnetos.com

Ian Clare
Most of the time condensers go open circuit so fitting a Brightspark unit would mean no stripping of the magneto. On the rare occasions that you get a short circuit then you would need to strip down the magneto.
Afraid I have to disagree with you Ian. Of the two hundred or so duff magneto condensers that I've replaced in the last year, only one as far as I recall had gone open circuit. The vast majority go very leaky when exposed to the voltage pulse of a few hundred volts when the points open, i.e. they're verging on a closed circuit. It is therefore necessary to disconnect the old condenser, otherwise adding another condenser in parallel with it simply results in a combined effect of a leaky condenser of the wrong capacitance, which will make matters even worse.

Cheers,

Ken.

Nieuwe pagina 1