Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil lines?

Aloha,

Does anyone have any ideas as to how these can be fixed? http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohuslan/11762836266/in/set-72157631976176428

I have seen new ones sold by several dealers but it seems a bit of a waste to throw the whole thing away just because someone cut the rubber part in half!
I'm thinking this ought to be mendable with a bit of oil line and the proper connections.
Anyone with experience of fixing this?

regards,

Simon

Re: Oil lines?

Hi Simon,

I don't think that it should be a hard fix:

You got all of the parts,
So you just need to get an oil-resistant tube of the same measurements,
Move the brass end cups to the new rubber tubes, and you are done.

Noam.

Oil line1 photo Oil1_zpsf2bbb1bc.jpg

Oil line2 photo Oil2_zps83fb58eb.jpg

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I think I have replaced the rubber oil tubes on all my bikes. Sometimes with new and sometimes with original ferules. It's important to find the correct imperial hose that is a tight fit on the copper pipe. Probably a search of the internet is best. Ron
 photo 3SW035_zps9ff1d9a7.jpg
 photo 3HW047_zpse35b6ef8.jpg
 photo M20242_zpsed9399eb.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have imperial size rubber now but metric rubber will do the job also as the size is close enough to the imperial size rubber. I have used metric size rubber for years.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I have found that sometimes even if the hose is a good fit on the pipe. The ferules can be too loose or to tight over the rubber. Not always that straight forward Ron

Hello all,
Is there a sleeve inside the rubber for the ferrule to crimp to or is it just crimped to the rubber?
Fuel line would be suitable as a rubber hose?
Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright at yahoo dot com dot au

There is no sleeve and the ferules are not really crimped. The ferules should be a tight fit on the rubber tube before it is fitted to the copper pipe. It squeezes up the bore of the rubber to make it a tight fit on the copper pipe......Supposedly Ron

That's great!

I wasn't sure if it was just a slip-on fit or if there where some other things holding the ferules in place in some way or the other.
Fuel hoses are one of the few things that is quite easiely available in imperial sizes here in metric land.

/s

I use a small pipe cutter with the cutting wheel replaced by a similar sized washer and run it around the ferrule a few times for a factory looking job. I'll send in some pictures showing how later.

I did that also and this makes them just as the originals.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Sorry to hijack the post but as it is related, does anyone have a photo of the fitting where the rubber attaches to the oil tank
Thanks Darren

That's a good idea with the pipe cutter! I'll give that a go next time.
Darren do you mean M20? There are pictures on this thread already. Ron

Here you go!  photo 004_zps41c7f53e.jpg

Ron Pier
That's a good idea with the pipe cutter! I'll give that a go next time.
Darren do you mean M20? There are pictures on this thread already. Ron

Sorry Ron yes WM20, I mean the olive that screws into the bottom of the tank, are the the same length as the ones at the other end of the oil lines; or are they longer. As the only stick out past the nut about 5/16.
Darren

"Fuel line would be suitable as a rubber hose?"
Hi Darren, generally no is the answer to your question as fuel hose does not have the correct heat rating that oil requires. Give me a shout if you need any hose.

email (option): njgreen@bigpond.net.au

great skills with the pipe cutter come crimper douglas, I like that.

Darren there are 1/4" BSP nuts on each ends of the oil lines. with nipples (not olives) soldered on the ends of the pipes. the ends at the oil tank are short lengths of pipe which are pushed into the hose up to about the nipple. Ron
 photo Scan-140209-0001_zps6a9e7f1c.jpg

Thank you so much for explaining that for me, sorry I meant nipples not olives.
I have been trying to work that out for over two years.
I greatly appreciate that.
Darren

Hi All,

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

I am trying to make some new oil lines, and was interested in the way that Douglas did his. As we all know, Photobucket no longer works, and many threads are useless without photos Douglas, if you are still out there, is there anyway you could post on how you did your ferrals? Thanks.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

I have a hydraulic hose crimper at work which has capacity from 75mm down to 10mm diameter crimp. If anyone needs a hose crimping, drop me an email and I will gladly do it for free.
I do have aluminium and stainless steel ferrules along with some fuel line in plain and cotton braided, so will certainly help anyone if I can.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone dot net

Hi Darren,

I've still got your number, will give you a call, if that's OK?

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

be nice to hear from you Dave

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Good evening The other day while rummaging in my shed I found some pipe repairers called c greens these are lengths of rubber pipe oil resistant .On either end they have a nut in which is a taper thread inside when the nut is tightened the pipe is crimped onto the inner pipe, had some on my Norton for years and looked the part was available from 1/4 up to1/2 inch if memory serves just wondered if there is anything like them still about

Hi Charle
Goodrich makes system like that for brakes and hydraulic lines too. But they are a little bulky and used with proper hydraulic hose. They make some fancy ally ferrules which have a hidden jubilee clip too, but pink or blue fittings might look out of place on an M20.

I would be interested in a photo of the old fittings you have found and I will look into it further
Cheers.
Darren

dwrudd at lineone dot net

Good evening I have taken photos but have not a clue how to put them on here

Hi Charlie,
You could email them to me if that's possible
Many thanks
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1