Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy WD Bike Tour 2014

Hi All

Apologies you have not seen any posts of late, it's been busy in the real work with work & manflu !!

Ok, purpose of this post is to clarify some matters on the tour which some of you I know have brought up.

2014 Tour summary
1/ Campsite bookings are now closed - we have significant numbers staying on site - no more can be accommodated at this time.
2/ We are however, still taking bookings for the tour only - this will remain open until further notice.
3/ although most of you have registered & paid tour registration fees & for souvenir tour hats, some fees are still outstanding - can you please ensure this is done as soon as possible as this creates considerable admin & cross referencing - we are after all fellow enthusiasts & not full time wd bike tour organisers - and we also need to fettle our bikes too in preparation :-)

Over the next few weeks, we will provide you all with your entry numbers - these should be used in any correspondence with SHAEF - it simplifies things greatly at our side - at the event, you will be provided with a tag to place on your machine, this will be primarily for the big run on 6 June & can be kept as a "souvenir" of a kind - similar to the little mudguard sticker as used on the 65 for 65.

Although we will provide more detailed information later in the week, there are some details you might like to know,
Total number of registered Riders - 158
Most common motorcycle - BSA
Least common motorcycle - James

As you can see, especially those who were there in 2009 for the 65 for 65, we are already over the 144 machines which entered Arromanches on 6 June, with this we can be very happy.
On 6 June, plans are also being made to meet with other WD bike groups also in Normandy at the same time, with this in mind, a 200 + bike convoy is now a very strong possibility.

If you have any entry questions, please ensure you direct these to SHAEF at the address listed below & not via the forum

shaef2014@gmail.com

In the meantime, please standby for updates via email & via the forum

With Best Regards

Canvas Grip

:-)

email (option): Shaef2014@gmail.com

Re: Normandy WD Bike Tour 2014

photo 2897253_orig_zpsbf2c34d7.jpg
 photo 1006122_10151650151919769_686009485_nlazyveenorton_zps38d11626.jpg

Hope we can make Normandy for the 70th....was there for the 50th and 60th.......not booked yet....depended on my retirement date, only just through........but if we do go, maybe we'll take the 16H (shown with Mrs M aboard) ? Or the W/NG ? I don't know..........like to go this year to honour my grandfather.........photo shown shows his unit (6th Beach Group) after the landings.........he went ashore with 6th Beach Group (as Bucks Battalion OX & Bucks LI) with the assault formations of 3rd Inf Div on "Queen Red" near Ouistreham early in the morning of June 6th 1944........

photo 001_zpsa9f98236.jpg

Here's his BD.....issued at the end of the war in Germany in '45.......he was transferred from 6th Beach group to 5th Batt Seaforths, 51st HD Div between July-August '44...........

Steve, I know that I keep harping on (and Ariels are fine machines) but us Norton chaps would really appreciate you being there for the record attempt on a Norton !

Nice BD by the way. Very smart !

We will do our best Rik ! I retired yesterday so a bit more clarity now.....

May well bring the 16H.......reliable and better for carting the two of us around........:o)

Thanks for the comment about the BD.....it's a prized family heirloom......

Steve that BD of your dads must have been walking out dress, as whitening has been used on his stripes, Or his unit was tight on barrack dress, nice BD and looks Mint, I will post pics of my Dad in the USA, in 43,He was there to teach the yanks to shoot down planes, came back in april 44, held in reserve for D day but never deployed to Europe, still got a BEM though, buts that's a long story, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

It's me granddad's Andy ! In possession of Dad !!! It is in really good nick still, Canadian made and issued to him in Germany in 1945.......obviously his "best" BD...........after fighting his way from the D-Day assault, through France, Holland and the battle of the Reichswald (Op Veritable) in 44-45 when he
crossed the Rhine I doubt if his "other" BD was in any decent condition to survive.......:o)
We've also got his headdress, medals and various insignia (including German) from his "travels" throughout Europe..........:o)

Nieuwe pagina 1