Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
andy tiernans dad 16h

Just a quick message, i let my m20 go a while back but still have my 3hw, not really a stalker but read the web page most days ,its the best out there for info and current trends, I also watch the prices etc at most dealers and Andy's site is great for the archive photos in his sold section his page today has a 16h with his dad crossing a ford, he is asking for info! sure this site will manage that. Arthur.

Re: andy tiernans dad 16h

That's a good picture, I see the blackout mask has swivelled around with the off road riding

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I'll post the picture here so people can see it easier.

photo WDGregoryPaddyTiernanonhisWDNorton16H-Small_zpse31370e2.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The bike can't be later than 1942 although that doesn't date the photo.

The bar underneath the formation sign indicates 'Army Troops' and the 1941 list that I have suggests '380' (if that's what it is) on Royal Engineers cobalt blue (which looks possible) would indicate 6 Chemical Warfare Group R.E.

They were converted to GHQ Troops Engineers but I have no indication whether they retained the same formation sign. I'd have expected them to use a diagonal bar from then on.

Has the later (42ish) speedometer mounting bracket. What's that writing on the front mudguard?

I think that speedo bracket was introduced earlier than 1942......?

I would date this image around 1942..........fibre "pulp" helmet still worn as steel not introduced until 42..........respirator worn in the "alert" position, and DR boots and breeches that weren't introduced until late-1941 and not widely issued until 42...........hooded blackout mask also a 1941 onward fitting.....script on the tip of the front mudguard looks to be a personal name......?

Hungry hill Methinks, seem to remember the ford and the depth posts, I think it was man made for testing fording ability's worked there for the Forestry commission 1966 and 67 it was an MOD testing site, The tank blocks had gone by then Just my 2p worth ,andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1