Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ariel WNG found sleeping

Yes It was me baza, the bike is with a friend in Scotland painted desert sand now,we talked at W/P about a 1936 BSA 250 OHV B21/B22 I had just picked up, any way am on phone will drop you a mail,with my number, looks to me like it was a dockyard bike Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Just done some rubbing down and degreasing, eng/frame no correct also olive drab paint on girders, here are some pics of the wreck

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

%%bbCodeItem_3%%

Burman gearbox looks like it needs another outer cover, now do I get new forks from curryland or get Jake Robbins to fix, is any of that stuf fron India any good?

%%bbCodeItem_4%%

this will be my biggest job yet, is it gonna be a money pit...Course it is

email (option): barryrapley@sky.com

Hi Baza
Good buy, looks nice! Forks don't seem too bad, a decent restorer should be able to fix them. I've heard Jake Robbins can take rather a long time for repairs but there are others out there. Don't have anything to do with forks from India, they will kill you, maybe not this week this month but definately one day.
Regards

Has the frame number been altered? that could be other numbers underneath and is that file marks all round the number?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Ron, I have both editions here and I can't find XG29001 either. It also doesn't appear on the Chilwell cards so it's almost certainly from another service or a spare frame. It's not clear whether all manufacturers applied the same policy when dealing with spare frames and engines but Ariel could have supplied the usual 10% spares with each contract using numbered frames.

It would require someone really up to speed on Ariels to say whether the number has been altered or if the file marks are the normal fettling of the cast lug. It does look though as if there has been some extra hammer marking around the numbers.

Baza lad, now THAT looks just right for you, and don't give me "It'll take 2yrs" knowing you, like I DO. You'll have that thumping away in 6 months..

Can't wait to see it in the flesh (Tomorrow) and when its done, Gis a go Mister..?

Rob Miller
Has the frame number been altered? that could be other numbers underneath and is that file marks all round the number?

Rob

No Rob the no hasn't been altered its all original, all the history I have is around Chatham and as we didn't have a RAF base there, we did have a Naval dockyard! and those two arms of the service did not keep records like the army, so unless anyone can prove otherwise it,ll be either battleship grey or dark navy blue.........cause I got a drab olive one!

p.s file marks are mine, ran out of glasspaper!

Government policy in general was not to sell equipment off at the barracks / airfield / dock gates. They were sold off by the Ministry of Supply at large auctions in suitably large batches to ensure that they attracted only trade and not tiresome private buyers.

Finding a bike at Biggin Hill or Kenley wouldn't mean that it was ex-RAF, simply that the buyer had been up to Pride & Clarke's. "GOH" was a Birmingham series issued from July 1946 on.

The lack of any surviving records for this number might well suggest that the frame number, if original, started life other than with the War Department (army) but the engine number BH9912 was supplied under army contract C9387 so unless it has had a post-war engine change, the chances are that it has been through an army workshop at some stage. Does the old green log book show a post-war engine change or have they been together since 1946 ?

There is no suggestion that Air Ministry or Admiralty record keeping was less thorough than that of the War Office, simply that the lottery of what survived has been less kind to them. However, there remain archives to research so we haven't given up yet.

Rik, no engine change, its the same from 1946, and seven owners, all from around Chatham.

Make sure you get the right Grey..Northern Hemisphere was darker than Southern Hemisphere...(though Grey would probably only have been applied to bikes taken on board, which some were)..
My understanding of the Naval colours is that like the other services the use of 'Admiralty Blue' ended with the outbreak of war...so it would still have been 'khaki' if 'shore based'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian lad,you don't know Chatham dockyard, over the years I have brought stuff from Chatham ,tools,lathes,WW2 motorbike lifting bench(weighed 6cwt!) all painted battleship grey..

Yes Barry...but none of those are vehicles...(I'm more familiar with Plymouth dockyard)
A quick look at a couple of sites indicates 'Naval' colours were retained until 1941 when a government directive called for a change to drab colours...Does anyone know the date of this directive?..

I always thought it was far earlier than that..Ian

baza57
Rik, no engine change, its the same from 1946, and seven owners, all from around Chatham.

Probably bought by post and sent by train from one of the big Birmingham dealers then. It could be that the dealer re-engined it before sale....or it could indicate an army rebuild. We'll probably never know. It's your bike to mark up however you like.

A good look at the nooks and cranies of the frame might show the original colour but it was almost certainly the current service colour, even if it was Admiralty or Air Ministry.

It don't matter too much Ian, cause at the end of the day its gonner be a tribute to all the guys and gals that never made it, and whatever colour I,ve got up on the shelf in the fettling shed! I don't think I can see myself dressing up as "Hallo Sailor" though!

Baz. I don't think anyone hear is trying to piss on your firework. But since you asked the question about your frame and engine number, it becomes a bit of a mission for some of us. I think maybe you glanced too quickly into the number sequence in O&M to come up with it being one of the 27 from that RN contract.
Also according to WO instructions, all vehicles were to be painted in camo colours at the outbreak of war and all subsequent vehicles would be supplied in the same paint colour as the army. Although nothing can be cast in stone!
But as you rightly say, you can paint it as you like as a mark of respect.....Artistic licence prevails Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

yea Ron, my early copy of O and M must be a misprint as numbers don't tally, but it,ll be another bike in the fold whatever the colour,it,ll be a long job though..cant retire yet!

I'm still hanging on to that bunny Baz. Which bit do you think is a misprint?

Ron

Ron, my 95 book says 29090-29012 must be a misprint.

if the first no is wrong and should be 29000-29012 then the amount of bikes would still be 27 but if second nos wrong then its 29090- 29102 but this would make 36 bikes in that group?

OK Baz, I get that. The later edition has it printed correctly 29090-29102. But your number is still not in that sequence! Ron

There is something odd going on with the forum tonight. It has dropped some posts off the end of this thread.

My last post is accessible via the last post menu but not here, so I'm trying again. It might end up as a double post.

The odd miscalculation is not uncommon in the official records. Steve Madden has a lot of Ariel info which is not available anywhere else. It may be worth mailing him.

I've just noticed looking again that although your engine number should fall within the block BH6150 - 9999 of WD contract C9387, that was only for 3500 machines and BH 9912 is specifically listed as part of the RAF contract of 625 machines from August 1941 (see page 158 of 1st ed. Orchard & Madden)...So I think we can be pretty sure that your engine started life in an RAF machine.

These Ariel numbers really are all over the place.

I'm still not letting go Baz. I'm calculating the numbers listed as follows:-
29059 = 1 bike
29075-29077 = 3 bikes
29079-29088 = 10 bikes
29090-29102 = 13 bikes
Total = 27 bikes
Notice how the number go forward in this sequence not backwards. In the normal course of events 29001 would fall somewhere between contracts C11103 and C12450.
But as Rik states "these Ariel numbers are all over the place". I wish Steve would join in! Ron.

Hi Baza. I have a set of heavyweight Ariel with check springs in very fine condition that look like the ones in your photos. Send me email if you want more info. Only thing is that I am in the USA.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Rik..If someone deletes their post after others have replied to it the replies go along with the deleted post...That may explain the missing posts...Ian

Ron Pier
I'm still not letting go Baz. I'm calculating the numbers listed as follows:-
29059 = 1 bike
29075-29077 = 3 bikes
29079-29088 = 10 bikes
29090-29102 = 13 bikes
Total = 27 bikes
Notice how the number go forward in this sequence not backwards. In the normal course of events 29001 would fall somewhere between contracts C11103 and C12450.
But as Rik states "these Ariel numbers are all over the place". I wish Steve would join in! Ron.

Ron, the Ministry of Supply ledgers show two contracts between C11103 and C12450, namely C11464 (750 machines) and C12427 (300 machines). Oddly, neither of these were issued a 'Catalogue Reference Number' and none appear in the Chilwell contract receipt details..they could have been RASC contracts or another service.

Unfortunately, the MoS records never detail frame or engine numbers although occasionally there are little gems of information. Did you know about the chain retainers on the oil filler caps ? Presumably new for 1942 !

C11464 :-

photo 5d49448f-4687-415c-9af5-4cfa0a0bf88c_zps1d44ac7c.jpg

yup mine has got the chain retainer and that's the first item I have restored!

baza57
yup mine has got the chain retainer and that's the first item I have restored!

Take good care of it, Baza. It cost His Majesty's Government fourpence hapenny

Baza lad, I've done some hard work researching your bike, and it seems it was sent on a ship called... HMS Troutbridge... Chief Petty Officer Pertwee had it, but then Lt. Murray was a tad bemused, cos Chief Petty Officer Pertwee was trying to dodge Capt "Thunderguts" Povey..!

BLIMEY, now that's a grand yarn if ever there was one, get it sorted and back on the road, one day it'll be a right old 'Navy Lark'

Did someone call Uncle Ron ???!

Frame XG 29001..........

Two small contracts may help explain this.........

The first is Contract C/S 12427 with a demand date of around 20.01.42......this is a RAF contract for 300 machines with Ariel allocating 300 "tab" (works) numbers, although the engine number "BH" series allocated shows the range of BH 13020 to 13885, frames XG 28750 to 29050.............
Notes in the records mention that these 300 bikes were as those made under Contract C 11464 to include 26 engines and gearboxes (spares). Delivery at 75 per week. Michelin tyres fitted. Built in small quantities during Contract C 10477...........

The second is an unknown contract from 1942 for the RN for 100 machines with Ariel allocating 100 "tab" numbers......but again the engine number "BH" series shows a broad range from BH 13550 to 14823, frames XG 29000 to 29150.....Notes in the records state that these 100 machines were built in small batches during the same contract (C 10477) as the 300 RAF machines noted above...............

Unfortunately, apart from the broad range of engine and frame numbers available, exactly which ones were used for these two small RAF & RN contracts is unknown............

Worth mentioning that some (not all) RAF W/NG's had the engine "BH" number prefixed by a "R" (for RAF) and RN W/NG's the letter "N" (for Naval).......

The MoS contract ledgers are useful as mentioned in detailing some modifications and additional equipment introduced, such as the chain retainers for the fuel and oil tank caps, pillion and pannier equipment, etc.........but they also detail the discrepancies that can creep in when attempting to compile engine and frame number series, as many contracts show several hundred spare frames, engines, etc, supplied along with quantities of complete machines........and whether these were numbered or not remains unanswered........

Steve thanks for that, so half of it was in the RAF and tother in the Navy

Fleet Air Arm then... ...Ian

Ian Wright
Fleet Air Arm then... ...Ian

Well done Ian

Does that mean he's got to paint it white and dangle a torpedo under it ?

And then catapult it off the 'A' Turret of a Battleship... ..Ian

Ian, PLEASE don't give him ideas, I've got to ride about with him..

Thanks Steve. I'm looking forward to your 2nd revision Ron

Thanks Steve. I'm looking forward to your 2nd revision Ron

Something decidedly strange with this site sometimes? It posted my reply twice and without the EDIT/DELETE tit??
Ron

Baz.
I may have a outer cover for the gearbox, I'll check tomorrow if I get the chance.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hi Ron..If you click 'post message' and then click it again while it is doing that it will post twice..Ian

OK Ian, I'll remember that for the future. Ron

Ian Wright
And then catapult it off the 'A' Turret of a Battleship... ..Ian

Ian, I,ve just spilt a large glass of scotch after reading this!

baza57
p.s file marks are mine, ran out of glasspaper!

I would have agreed with Rob about the numbers being altered looking at the picture. The file marks would make anyone suspicious. Why don't people use paint stripper..? The bloke I bought my Manx off had a collection of OHC Norton's, all of them he'd used an electric sander to take the paint off the frames. He'd half worn away some of the numbers making them faint and made all the bikes look dodgy.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Barry,
I have just checked the despatch books, here's whats in there-
Engine BH9912 originally fitted to frame XG27523. Tab No.(internal works no.)43, fitted with Goodyear tyres. Despached to the RAF 21/8/41.
Frame XG29001 originally fitted with engine BH13551. Tab No. 10, fitted with Dunlop tyres.Despatched to the Navy 24/1/42.
Alas no contract info mentioned for either.
Cheers, Mick.

People don't use paint stripper any more Horror because it doesn't seem to work any more!! Is it just me or is Nitromors about as much good as smearing tomato sauce on your paint work and expecting it to take the paint off?

Nice one, Mick. Someone with the time and inclination could make a nice spreadsheet using the despatch books info and probably pin most of them down to the odd RAF and RN contracts. The MoS books give totals delivered but no indication of frame / engine numbers (nor census numbers, unfortunately).

Do the books state colour ?

Hi Rik,
Alas most of the W/NG info in the despatch books is rather scant. Perhaps they didn't have a lot of time to fill them in. However some of the late war Navy bike entries do have alot, some of the bikes even the name of the man who assembled them. We also have copies of the W/NG records held at Kew which gives a lot if info about what spares were supplied with each contract, where panniers were retro fitted to earlier machines etc. According to these a lot of the bikes sent to the far east were "tropicalised" and shipped without tyres etc.
As yet I have found no mention about colours.
Cheers. Mick.

Hi Rik,
Alas most of the W/NG info in the despatch books is rather scant. Perhaps they didn't have a lot of time to fill them in. However some of the late war Navy bike entries do have alot, some of the bikes even the name of the man who assembled them. We also have copies of the W/NG records held at Kew which gives a lot if info about what spares were supplied with each contract, where panniers were retro fitted to earlier machines etc. According to these a lot of the bikes sent to the far east were "tropicalised" and shipped without tyres etc.
As yet I have found no mention about colours.
Cheers. Mick.

Thanks Mick for all that research work to tell me that what I,ve got is a mongrel but what the heck, whatever it turns out like will be presentable....at the moment, engine and gearbox are out,and started removing every nut and bolt from the frame using heat and penetrating oil and so far they have all snapped off

baza57
Thanks Mick for all that research work to tell me that what I,ve got is a mongrel but what the heck, whatever it turns out like will be presentable....at the moment, engine and gearbox are out,and started removing every nut and bolt from the frame using heat and penetrating oil and so far they have all snapped off

No worries with the colour scheme and you'll be able to fly the White Ensign !

Damn that torpedo looks good....

photo 800px-Swordfish_Mk2_LS326_1988_zps73dc8f73.jpeg

Hey Barry, if truth be told about 90% of the bikes featured here are mongrels!
Cheers, Mick.

Nieuwe pagina 1