Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: U.K. 'Tax' Discs

I was a bit like horror, always kept my tax disc with me, not on the bike till the free ones came along,At present have facsimile 1940 to
1944 discs on my bikes nobody's ever checked them , Andrew .h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Horror
I ........ The only document you need on you now is a driving licence.

Not me, I've never carried my licence or any other documents of any kind & don't ever intend to. maybe it's a habit people that have wallets do but I've never carried a wallet either. I carry cash & an emergency debit card only & have done that for decades.
Obviously when driving abroad I carry the required stuff as in some countries It's an offence not to.
Obviously I've been asked several times over the years to produce it at my local station but never bother as I tried once but our local station used to keep the door locked & not answer it even though you could see them in there... the police in our town are either hiding in there or round someone's drinking tea.

My immediate thought when I saw that story on the news was to still carry a tax disc but a print of one about 2 months out of date so it gives nosey people something to worry about : D

saying how to prove the vehicle is taxed wouldn't you have a print off of the email but what is going to happen to people who go to the post office to get their tax would they just get a piece of paper and the tax is well out of date on this web site

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

The whole thing is just a nasty rumour spread by people who are fed up paying £30 plus for a vintage tax disc holder!!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I agree Fred that you shouldn't have to carry ID, I was arrested once because I couldn't prove who I was on a routine stop and stayed down the cells until they were happy I was who I said I was. I was stopped in my old Morris Minor van and the 2 coppers started doing what was basically a roadside MOT. The only thing wrong was the hand brake didn't hold the van when they pushed it. My name didn't check out to my address because I never filled out the census. They said they had to prove who I was so a summons could be sent, if they weren't happy I was who I said I was, I would appear in court in the morning. They still couldn't prove who I was, so they phoned my house and my lodger at the time had to describe me over the phone to them Half a day later I was released, but not until they had to cook me pie chips and beans for tea
Their words to me as I left were this would have been avoided if I had ID, I said is it law now to carry ID then? They impounded my van until I could prove I had a licence and insurance etc and I had to walk home from the station. They'd searched my van and broke the Bakelite horn centre in the steering wheel.

It's a lot less hassle to just give them my licence these days

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Horror, that pie chips & beans sounds rather nice.. :D
the phones we all (well most of us) carry now & plastic money fairly easily identify us, the police can access so much info on us now electronically & ask us for correct answers. id cards would almost be overkill.

how long before they inject us with a micro chip

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Horror's experience was entirely illegal. The police had no right under law to have detained him. You are under no obilgtion to give your name or other details to anyone including the police. If you are stopped by the police they have to tell you why including which law your "offence" is covered by and if requested they must write it down for you. Your right to privacy is enshired by the European Court of Human Rights ( 8.7 & 8.8 I believe).
For entertainment there are some lovely video's on Youtube where some bulling police pick on innocent but clued up people and come off with egg on their faces!

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the wartime 'On Government Business' disc?...

I wouldn't mind putting one of those into my 'soon to be redundant' brass disc holder....Ian

Hi Ian, do you mean a "Defence of the Realm" certificate? there are a couple of people reproducing them but there are several different types. This one on Ebay was only used on RAF vehicles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131062165669?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Are you sure these were only RAF used Rob? I know a chap who's got one on his British Army used Jeep and he says it's original to the vehicle.

The one on Ebay is signed by Group Captain Montgomery-Moore and the original it was based on says at the bottom "DDO (MT) Air Ministry, but I'm wondering if he has removed that bit along with the "G" in front of "CAPT", all the Army versions I have seen have a different layout, I will try to find an image.

Rob

I'll see if I can get a photo of the one on the Jeep sometime soon.

This is the style usually seen with Army Vehicle's including a late war BSA M20 example, this particular Bedford may be an impressed civy vehicle judging by the registration number.

Rob

Army Defence of he Realm cerificate photo Image2-3.jpg

This is a civilian version, don't know if it was a standard national design or a local council design.

Couny council Defence oif the Realm certificate photo Image3-1.jpg

And this is an original RAF version.

Rob

RAF Defence of the Realm certificate photo Image1-1.jpg

I never knew about that Rob, the first disc you show says not for WD vehicles so it must be only for civvy vehicles.

Thanks for the info about my arrest by the Police Richard, I don't think anyone had hear of human rights in the 80's, especially the Police

I could mean there was a special rubber stamp used when it wasn't a military vehicle?

Rob

Oh yes, I see now what it's saying It must be a WD bedford or the box would be stamped?

Nieuwe pagina 1