Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New battery needed

As Ron said,Cyclone are the ones to use,had them on bikes years now, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

If you have an old expired Exide battery, remove the innards and drop in a 6v security system battery, available at hardware stores for less than EUR 10. I have also seen dummy Exide battery casings moulded specially for the 6V security system battery.
If your generator does not work and you intend to only ride during during the day, you can also fit LED lamps.

email (option): pvlietstra

I don't think you can run a Cyclone battery with a Lucas electro/mechanicale regulator/cut out unit which I have, so I went for a a Yuasa wet battery inside one of Ian's replica battery boxes. Don't even bother with a cheap wet battery, they only cost a few quid less and don't last 5 minutes.
On my Norton single I have an electronic regulator/ cut out unit with a Cyclone battery.
Both systems are pretty trouble free, with the advantage that the wet battery with mechanical unit can be charged from flat by the dynamo whereas the electronic unit needs to see 6V in the Cyclon battery before it can charge.

I have Cyclons on all my bikes whether they have electronic or mechanical regulators. Never had a problem. I think a battery is a battery! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It sounds like a Cyclone battery is the way to go. Any idea what battery/part number I should be looking for?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

I've bought all mine off the same guy at the jumbles. He's the cheapest and a real nice bloke. From memory 5amp @ £17 (you can fit two for 10amp) or 8amp @ £22. I expect he will post them. Mick Ash, email arielfeetup@aol.com or tel 07811 203996.

Ron

Thanks Ron. How many amps would you recommend? I know precious little about electrical stuff!

Lee I have 5 amp on all my magneto bikes as they are only for lights and I don't ride much in the dark. I've never had a problem riding with lights on though. Dynamo copes fine. I have 10amps on my Indian's being coil ignition so more draw from the battery. Two 5 amps will fit into one of Ian's boxes or one 8amp.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I've emailed Mick and had a reply already! It'll be nice to escape from a few family xmas do's on the BSA.

Ron
The reason I used a wet battery with my mechanical Lucas reg/cut out unit is that on the Paul Goff Electrical web site he says Cyclon batteries must be used with solid state units. I thought it was maybe because the Cyclone batteries were sensitive to the on off nature of the wave from the mechanicale Lucas units contacts.
But if yours are working ok it can't be that critical, so when my wet battery dies I will probably go for a Cyclone as well.

Peter I don't know the technicalities. But it has worked perfectly for me for years and lots of other guys that I know of. I will never use a messy acid battery on any of my bikes again.
Noam is one of our resident electrical experts, maybe he can enlighten. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1