Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: terry

refreshing to see honesty in advertising,may he prosper, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

'To fit frame about 13" wide'....

Is about 13 nearly 12 1/2 or nearly 13 1/2?... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i can't complain about him.... he sold me my original early norton carrier

I'm not complaining about him either. I meet George regularly at Jumbles and Goodwood. He's quite a nice bloke in a strange sort of way Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What a di££erence a Terry's badge makes, even an anodised post-war version !

The cover looks to me to be identical to the Brooks WD versions discussed on an earlier thread.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1239080&cmd=show

However, it's had a Terry's badge applied, rather oddly too as the rivets along the edge have been used rather than two separate. There is no knowing when the badge was applied.

As with the Brooks covers, it lacks the rear panel which seems to have been characteristic of original equipment (ignore the Norton oil feed on this picture):-

photo Saddlewithoilpipe_zps0d9f0b0b.jpg

I too have fixed a Terry's badge on a Brooks (This one's not for sale though):-

photo PatternTerryBadge_zps4441f631.jpg

There is no accounting for the prices some people will pay, and this one is used (you can see the spring impressions in the horsehair underside, and the bent up holding tabs!!

There seem to be some variations in the brass Terry emblems, are there differences from the Bicycle ones or Motorcycle variations?
Here's a used on on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TERRY-BICYCLE-BRASS-SADDLE-LOGO-BADGE-/121219768715?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c3942e18b

A repro one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Badge-for-Terry-Seat-Triumph-Ariel-Norton-BSA-NEW-399B-/221305376144?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3386d40d90

And my ancient BSA bicycle with a Terry saddle.... this one has to be genuine!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLhuU_iQfk

There were certainly variations over the years. As far as I can tell from observation though, the screen printed alloy type always seem to be post-war (but of course people are looking for those too).

I suspect that the link you've given to a 'patented' Terry label is probably earlier and would include the frame with a patented support under.

The example that I posted above on the pattern cover is a £5 modern copy.

This is the original from my 1939 saddle. It looks as if it was originally silvered or nickled :-

photo Terryplate_zps7d5f459f.jpg

These saddles and covers have become too expensive but they are a part which deteriorates and cannot be refurbished. Once you start to notice them, all the vinyl replicas look so wrong that they let the whole bike down, when it's not being ridden at least.

At such inflated prices these covers can only really be fitted to an 'exhibit' bike in a collection...

Start to use them and you'll just get a few years (at best) from your £200 'investment'...and a lot less if the Rexine is a bit brittle..not to mention the integrity of the stitching cotton which also deteriorates.. ...

I wouldn't consider for a second paying that much for a 'consumable' part with such a potentially short lifespan when used for its intended purpose. I would rather go with the best vinyl I could find..Plus, you'd never find the matching pillion cover anyway so how will that problem be resolved?....Ian

The BEF didn't have pillion perches ! Not a problem for me !

The truth is that if you hunt around the UK jumbles, you can find the odd decent cover or seat at a lot less than these international ebay prices.

I suspect you're right though and most of these will end up on static exhibits. I can't help thinking that many are bought by professional restorers building money-no-object cheque book restorations who simply pass the total cost on at the end.

It seems at the moment that a £5 Terry badge is making this one worth £100 more than an identical un-named cover.

You'll not catch Dr Cohen on a static exhibit. This could be the actual seat in action!

photo ginger_zps319c0a67.jpg

I was thinking less of where it might have been and more of where it's likely to end up.... ....Ian

Rik
(ignore the Norton oil feed on this picture)

Rik, never mind the saddle covers, have enough of those, I want the Oil feed pipe!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at same.net

It's at £317 now, getting to the stage where I'd be looking for a Feridax dual seat and sod originality !

...Bearing in mind that it looks just like the Brooks covers which have sold for +/- £100 lately, this has turned into a £200 Terry label

My B33 is currently sporting a replica cover that I bought for £20..Not a bad fit and looks OK...Not Rexine I'll admit but a damn sight more sensible... ...Ian

Thats more than I would pay for a three piece suit for my house which I would sit on every day. But each to his own I suppose

Nieuwe pagina 1