Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My other M20 Project

Hello Ian.The rear frame on your bike started out with rear pillion footrests.You can see where the top 2 ears have been ground off.The early rear frames without pillion footrests had no lugs at all on the bottom l/h side and a lug on the R/H side for the stand spring and exhaust pipe.Cheers,Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

I agree with the comments and observations so far. The rear stand looks a bit shiny black and also reminds me of a product from the far east, along with the rear carrier. Without wanting to piss on your firework.....The whole thing looks like a build up of parts. Quite a few look wrong or knackered, which is fine if you paid the right price. Again I would worry most about those forks.
I want to say I think I know who supplied the parts. But not yet!
Here is my early rear frame with field stand lug and no pillion pegs as standard. These are the correct "add ons" by BSA. I doubt you could fit these with those old peg lugs still in place. Ron

photo M20079_zpsb6473aba.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The forks look like originals to me after a closer look at an enlargement...

The rear stand should definitely not be used and looking at the angle of it I wouldn't be surprised if the stand stops on the frame have been removed/reduced...

The remains of the footrest lugs could easily be removed to allow clamp on footrests to fit correctly....

It does indeed look like it may have had a number of parts added to a partially complete bike to make a project...but half of the bikes on the road started out like that.. ...It's a job for an enthusiastic restorer who's prepared to spend some money but it can be done.....Ian

Little more info on the "Under the Saddle" Switch here;

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1225583&cmd=show

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike at welbike.net

Ok.. Points noted guy's.. Firstly this bike a 1942 frame. My other frame is a 1940. Not sure yet which I'm going to marry up!! Front forks are definately BSA ( I have another set of gen one's and the Indian made ones I've seen in the metal so to speak, are not a patch on these) Red primer because they've been overhauled.
Rear stand a pattern one fitted by P.O. I am aware of it lacking the correct position. This will be addressed during restoration.
I don't want rear pegs on the bike.. Just thinking what actually happened at manufacture back in the day..
This will be an intensive project, but I've tackled worse than this before. Your continued help and support will be much appreciated..

P.S. Lex, Thanks for the information.. I am aware of this switch being fitted to later bikes. I won't be using it for this restoration, as I have an 'Off, T, L, H one I'm going to use..

email (option): ian@integsci.com

Just a quick update on how this is going.. I made the stand stops and spring bullet (thanks for dimensions again Ron)then welded them onto the frame which then went to powder coaters.. The front frame in these pictures is my 1940 one as I wanted to use it with the earlier backframe.

photo DSCF2334_zps3b628672.jpg

photo DSCF2339_zps5e930630.jpg

Hi Frank...It's looking a lot better!...Note the rear brake torque arm also has to be fitted along with the gearbox plates and the three spacers in your first photo....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Torque arm will be fitted soon Ian. I just loosely assembled frame so I can estimate how long to make new frame studs. I have to allow for bash plate tabs on the 1/2" stud.. On latter subject, I'm after the 'U' clamp for the plate (can anyone help?) plus also, does the head steady fit outboard of the top backstay mount?

Hi Frank...The head steady is outboard of the top backstay mount on the oil tank side....

Can you measure the distance between the centres of the holes for the 'U' clamp?...I think I may have one...

If you don't already have them you will also need the 1/2" shouldered nuts that fit the 'keyhole' slots in the sump guard....Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll have to measure up tomorrow as bike is down at work.. I haven't got nuts to suit bashplate/frame stud yet (I assume 1/2" x 20 TPI)as same as my 52 M33?

('I assume 1/2" x 20 TPI)as same as my 52 M33?')....

Yes, that's right....Ian

Many thanks again Ian..

Well slow progress, but got forks fitted yesterday...

photo DSCF2359_zpse13ea4f7.jpg

Looking good Frank lad..

Should have it all done and dusted for the John Bull then eh..? You can buy me beer while you admire my Canadian tribute bike..

Can't blame you for trying Shaun..

Looking good, but why is everyone's workshop bigger, better, lighter and a damned sight tidier than mine!!!

Lincoln Bill
Looking good, but why is everyone's workshop bigger, better, lighter and a damned sight tidier than mine!!!

Thanks Bill, but it's not my workshop.. My Boss lets me use the place out of hours to do my resto's..

Hang on Frank. Have you forgot the spring Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Hang on Frank. Have you forgot the spring Ron

I've got an issue with the top bearing race Ron, so I'm holding off fitting spring until it's sorted.. Seems to be binding on LH lock.. Needs top race shimming altering as housing slightly too big..

Nieuwe pagina 1