Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum picture

Kevin, I assume you are in the USA,down in Florida your M20 I believe is from a large batch exported from Germany/belgium in the 70s, am told the Horn on the bike is off a KETTENRAND Fitted during the rebuilds in the late forty's early 50s perhaps,I imported one back to the Uk three years ago, Andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Looking at that horn, I at first thought it was off an Indian, but it isn't. The Indian one looks different like e-Bay item # 310739301723 . I have one in my garage but not at that price!!

Blimey! I'd better up the insurance value of my 741 by another grand Ron

photo 741B046_zps43bb62d2.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kevin, Yours also looking very nice !

I sometimes regret that I have cleaned some parts too much in my rush to perfection, only to discover later that this was a nice candidate for the 'oilrag' finish.

Yours has also a nice example of a front stand which has been bent by the brakelever pivot by pulling it to hard on the frontstand.

Think this is exactly the reason why BSA make these stand thicker on this side.

Hope you have solved your clutch problems! regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga [ at ] hotmail.com

Vincent V
Looking at that horn, I at first thought it was off an Indian, but it isn't. The Indian one looks different like e-Bay item # 310739301723 . I have one in my garage but not at that price!!

Vincent, the 741 Indian Horn is different to the 640 Indian horn, but am still looking for a 640 Horn, am willing to pay a good price for it, but not $1250.00 although the guy on Ebay who's selling it is a friend (Robin Markey, from PA)

Let me know about your horn, maybe it's the right type for my Indian??

Grtz,

Alex

ps, may have parts to trade!

email (option): welbike(a)welbike.net

andrew hemsley
Kevin, I assume you are in the USA,down in Florida your M20 I believe is from a large batch exported from Germany/belgium in the 70s, am told the Horn on the bike is off a KETTENRAND Fitted during the rebuilds in the late forty's early 50s perhaps,I imported one back to the Uk three years ago, Andrew.h

Yes, I'm in Los Angeles. I've been posting my history on this bike here for about 3 years. I bought my bike locally from a guy who had it for 10 years and didn't do much with it. It was pretty complete, except for what appears to be some bodger's afternoon of taking various covers off and throwing away all the fasteners.

I had heard about the kettekrand horn. I think it's a cool time capsule to have on my bike. It still works great and is LOUD. I tried to keep my bike is as cosmetically the same shape as the REME left it when they fitted a rebuilt engine in 1951.

Oh, and Michiel... I believe I did solve my clutch issues, but I won't have a chance until Sunday to know for sure.

Kevin

Michiel W
It is my ´bitsa´ from Bordeaux, I have posted before during rebuilt on this bike and it is now almost finished.

It is a 1940 khaki green one with the frame, forks, saddle, toolbox, and sumpplate from a brown coloured 1943 one.

This is how the other side looks

photo SAM_6145_zps770aff2b.jpg
Regards , Michiel - NL

Hi Michiel,

I was curious about your placement of the sidestand. Is that correct for an early model? Does that allow the bike to be fairly upright? My sidestand won't allow the bike to be anywhere near upright unless you use the footrest to prop it up.

photo 28sept2013006_zpsed10c938.jpg

I wonder if I should try placing the sidestand the same way as yours.

Kevin

Michiel's stand is in the correct position for an early bike. After which it was moved up to the under saddle position and made a few inches longer to accommodate the panniers.
The early position will normaly have a lug brazed to the frame, which you already have, The later position is clamped on. The stowing position for the early stand is horizontal and therfore can't be used with panniers. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great information, Ron.

Should my stand allow the bike to be fairly upright without resting it against the footrest? If I don't lean mine against the footrest, it the end of the footrest is about 2 inches from the ground.

I think I might build up the bracket with weld to allow it to sit more upright.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you need the long field stand in combination with the panniers. In 1942 the panniers in combination with the long stand were fitted but the frame still had the (unused) brazed one lug, probably to use up the already made rearframes:

Here a factory picture from Henks disc:

photo C4562287-1.jpg

I don't think the stand is designed to touch the footrest. The angular travel should be limited in the swivel which turns against the clamp. Probably the clamp around the frame is a bit scored which makes the greater travel possible. A bit of welding could correct that. The swivel itself is hardened and unlikely to be damaged.

I am looking for a swivel to make a fieldstand complete, already have the leg. So if anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga [ at ] hotmail.com

Just a quick question whilst we are talking about horns and hooters. My hooter has always been a bit lacking in the noise department and I suddenly had a bit of a brainwave and rigged it up to a 12 volt supply instead of the 6 volt it usually gets. What a racket! Much more like the noise you'd expect. I can't find any voltage rating marked on it anywhere, but I assume I've got a 12 volt horn instead of 6 volt? I don't suppose there is any way of converting a hooter from a 12 to a 6 volt is there? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

taff the horn answers all problems

http://taffthehorns.com/

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Of course, what am I thinking, Taff's the man, I'll give him a call Ken.

Nieuwe pagina 1