Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fag End Tail Light

Hi Guys,

I have a Fag End Tail Light on my wm20 but no brake light to make it road legal.
Does anyone know where i might get a twin filament to fit inside the existing lamp please and how do i wire it up?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

email (option): eastwood00@ntlworld.com

Re: Fag End Tail Light

Hi Paul,

The wiring is simple:
If you have a negative earth, the bulb will get the earth from the chassis, as it does now.

Another wire should go from the (+) positive pole of the battery, through a switch- to the 2nd filament of the bulb.
The switch is a “Pull switch”, which usually hangs on the chassis, with a spring to the break pole
(If this is the correct name for it) which is running from the pedal to the rear break lever.
(If you run a positive earth, all is the same, but the polarities are the other way round)

When you step on the break- the pole moves to the front, pulling the switch (Trough a spring) to close the circuit.

As to the rear lamp, you probably need to replace the bracket inside the housing to a double one and then fit a double filament bulb.

Here is a (Very) ugly sketch I just made.
Assume all of the "Earths" are grounded to the chassis, and therefore all
sorted to one another.
Hope it helps..

photo Breaklight2_zpsa95ac9c9.jpgGood luck,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Brake light or not your fag end lamp will always be illegal.
Needs to be a specified size lens.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

And another window to shed some light on the license plate,
If there is no window now...

I've just checked through the Motorcycle MOT manual and it says nothing about the lights being a specific size. My Norton ES2 has an original rear light about the size of a fag end lamp, I've made the brake light and rear light work with one bulb and it's always passed an MOT like this. The diagram shown should have a resistor in the rear light circuit so it isn't as bright as when you put the brake light on.

Just found an old post about it

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1233548&cmd=show

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

somewhere in the specs it lists a light strength in "lumens "
look for that .

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

I've had another look at the MOT manual I've got and I can't see anything in the testers notes about testing for light strength. I have never seen an MOT tester with a meter to test the brightness of lights, especially on a 6v system. My bulb is a 6v/15w which is quite bright when the brake is on. The rear light is about 4w with the resistor.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

"..Typically, bulbs of 21 to 27 watts, producing 280 to 570 lumens (22 to 45 mean spherical candlepower) are used for stop, turn, reversing and rear fog lamps, while bulbs of 4 to 10 W, producing 40 to 130 lm (3 to 10 mscp) are used for tail lamps, parking lamps, side marker lamps and side turn signal repeaters"

From "Wikipedia"/Automotive lighting-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

Noam.

Paul:
Here is what I did (thanks to Horror and Henk) for my Fag taillamp:

I got the wiring diagram from Horror. I went to RadioShack and purchased an Epoxy Rectifier Diode 3 amps 400PV with a 220 Ohm 1/2 watt and a 100 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor pair based loosely on previous forum recommendations.

I wired the diode in-line with the parallel resistors and inserted it in-line in the hot wire to the Fag taillamp, all within the headlamp shell and then T'ed the brake light into the Fag taillamp wire as per Horror's diagram.

I have a stop light switch neatly concealed under the pannier with wiring and switch almost unnoticeable. I purchased the LED taillamp from Henk. It works beautifully, nice and bright as a running light and even brighter as a stop light. I do not know about the legality of it, but it is sure bright at night, just small.
Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

If you can find some older parallel pin twin element 6v bulbs (Peugot used them) you can swap the guts from a later tail light.Or do the fag ended ones have a different diameter bulb?

There was a minimum surface area for rear lamps specified in the early 1950s, I think its around 2 sq inches minimum.
Thats why all those small lamps disappeared to be replaced by the plastic types with integral reflector.

I seem to remember it as being able to inscribe a 1 1/2 inch diameter circle on the light and or reflector.

Something like that.

MOT requirements should not be confused with legal ones.

An Mot cert only means the vehicle conforms to the requiremnts of the test at the time of the test.
It says so on the back of the old certificates.

No guarantee of roadworthiness or of legality.

The removal of the need for an MOT on older vehicles is a rivet counters dream.

[and thats not a critiscism of rivet counting]

Number plate should also be illuminated; WD fag-enders don't have the ability.

I got round it by having a separate stop tail set up on a detachable number plate, secured by wing nuts to a pannier frame.
Then when needing to appear as if I had counted enough rivets just removed the number plate.

If you have a fag end lamp beware that anything over 3 watts, even temporary, will melt the red lens.

Hi Paul,

For simplicity have a look at this link
http://www.beckelektronika.nl/

The third section down, scroll to bottom item, there you go.

They are simplicity itself to wire up and incorporate the white light facing down for the number plate so you just need to drill a small window into the bottom of your housing.

They work brilliantly and the guy is wonderful to deal with, very helpful indeed.

I would highly recommend them, and I am not even on commission
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

To be road legal you will also need one of those 1 1/2" red reflectors. On sixtys bikes the rear lamp lens acted as a reflector but not of course on the fag end ones. Even if you no longer need an MOT the bike must still be road legal.

This LED bulb works much easier and is a straight fit to the tail light, it works on both + and - to earth. With an extra resistor fitted it works pretty good as both brake and tail light. You can find them on the for sale page of the website for 7,50 euro.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

"for the number plate so you just need to drill a small window into the bottom of your housing."

not quite so simple, it must be illuminated so that it can be read at a certain distance and within a certain arc.

All these things I know having been, in my youth, educated in them by rivet counting policemen with time on their hands.

You name it I've been nicked for it.

I used to read the construction and use regs for a hobby, just to be able to argue in court, they are better than a bible for bullets to fire back,

my favourite
"Urinals in motor vehicles" and the regs around where and when to use them caused much consternation when I pointed out that a funnel in the floor was well out of order when used in spy vans.

My solution fit a fag end light ,so when on display or off road and fitted with one of henks very good led bulbs it looks dead right , then fit a number plate full sized, a flat plate 3mm about 10inches by 8 inches nice transfers on black matt black background fixed to the pannier bag wing nuts. with a decent stop tail light and stop switch hidden under pannier bag full size light say 60s Lucas , again with an led light bulb Stop tail reflector etc. full sized numbers etc. ,you can then be seen on the road and be very legal and when removed (about 30secs you look the part it just pops into the pannier bag, dead legal and reversed ever so quickly the wiring is very simple just a double push fit connector just my 2p worth Andrew.h t

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1