Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off topic query..

Ian, i have a bridgestone 350 that has them but it striped at the minute, so cant tell you how they go, i think stan stevens in the uk does it. also the suzuki gt550 had it on one of the years, just a bit of info, not much help. curt.

Hi Curt...Many new bikes use this method of plating the cylinders these days..BMW, Guzzi and Triumph are just three examples..The first two have used it for decades....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian I have a modern BMW F800S which took about 10K Km to run in – not sure if its plated cylinder but they replace the block if they need a rebore. At about 10000 Km it started giving much better mileage. Changed oil when new and at 1000 Km both looked ok and nothing much on sump plug magnet. Always change oil at 5K Km. It is a dry sump motor by Rotax which has the oil tank underneath in the crankcase with 2 oil pumps 1 for engine and valve gear and the other feeds the gearbox with wet clutch - doesnt have a scavenge pump. The bike had lots of performance when new (compared to my R60s 25 Hp) and the performance doesnt seem to have changed as the engine ran in (must have improved as it burns less fuel!) It runs noticeably better on 95 or 98 octane compared to our regular 91 (RON). I just ran it for the first few thousand Km as you would run in an ordinary motor - I think it is very important to go real easy vary the revs and light load when starting run in. Cheers Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

I believe my BM has these and I don't recall any different instructions regarding running in. Certainly I didn't give it any different treatment and it has no issues 13 years down the line. But that is just my personal experience, I make no claims for all bikes. :-)

Thanks for the replies...The opinion from these replies and other enquiries I have made indicates 'running in' procedures are pretty much the same...
I imagine that although the plated and ground bore might not need quite as much 'running in', the pistons are basically the same as those in linered engines and require similar treatment....along with the rest of the engines components....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,there is a guy near me Drew Robinson (snr)who makes billet barells for
Velocettes and i think big bore or something like for Norton commandos.He is into
nikosil coatings for the race engine stuff.Maybe someone on here can throw up a
number for him.I can if you like try and find out more so you can have a natter.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Ian there is a bit of info on the link below on running in plated cylinders their website has other interesting stuff on it too. Cheers Doug W http://nzcylinders.com/Assembly%20tips.html

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Nieuwe pagina 1