Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Low Temperature Aluminium Welding Rods - bit off topic

Has anyone tried these to repair aluminium casing etc...

I made a right mess of a putting an insert into a aluminium cylinder head and wondered if I could start again by plugging the hole completely, re-drilling and tapping.

Kind regards

Pat

Re: Low Temperature Aluminium Welding Rods - bit off topic

Hi Patrick,

yes, I have used them to fill a knackered hole in an alloy switch gear on my Honda, I then re-tapped it out and it has been fine since.

So long as you can braze, its just the same principle. Alloy can leach heat so a big flame and be patient.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Thanks Darren.

I was going to use it for the spark plug hole on a Stihl chainsaw. Do you think it will be OK for this?

Kind regards

Pat

Just be warned that if it dosen't work you've made a whole load of extra work for the welder that will have to weld it again afterwards, even silicon rods can spatter badly if you try to weld over Lumiweld or similar, usually you'd have to drill it all out or grind it all out.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I tried to repair a Commando ally head with these. I couldnt get the area hot enough even though I insulated it. I think the process is more suitable to small parts

Frost sell stuff called Cold Front, its a sort of putty you build a wall round where you want to weld braze or solder, it contains the heat to stop it spreading and dissipating.
Don't ask me how it works but it does.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1