Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DR Patch

Sven, you are nearly correct in your assumption that DRs royal sigs didn't, wear formation signs when operating as stand alone units.Ie HQ sigs or sigs based at Bletchley for example, however when attached to a unit for sigs It was generally considered, bad form not to wear the formation sign of that attachment. Commanders made the rules up regarding attached personal For reasons of camaraderie etc, Also units such as Guards armoured( their divisions) or Commando carried huge street cred,but not pioneers or the catering corp. So maybe the sigs commander posted to that attachment made that decision The Royal sigs were considered very Elitist Regarding the foam around the goggles,I understood from a DR although often supplied late war, the foam separated Easily and soaked up water like the sponge they were made of and were often discarded/taken off, leaving only the goggle part,just like ones we see today, I have only ever seen US goggles with the foam still attached, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Early in WW2 not every man in the Canadian army had a Unit title, in this photo the Canada title and formation sign only are visible. The DR Patch was an unofficial insignia. It is probably different from the British military.
Re the foam on the goggles- I've never come across any either, and it seemed that most period pics of Canadian riders had that type of goggle,while other pics of British riders do not. I have seen pics of the foam type goggles with the Canadian broad arrow stamp (arrow inside an upper-case C )
I've contemplated making a chamois/foam type replica for my gggles.

Have found a pair of these goggles, see picture, foam is a bit moth eaten, and no glass, but hey, they were free!

Make is "Resistal" and US made, so they may be found, none on ebay now, just checked.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1