Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless metal eMs

Hi I wonder if anyone knows when matchless stopped using metal ms on the side of the petrol tank The g3 had them, pre-war and from photos early war, and when did they stop using them,, were the metal ms used post war, did the G3L ever have them, ? Andrew .h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Matchless metal eMs

wd g3l used transfers.

probably last use was WO G3.

they were used on a lot of models after the war but seemingly spasmodically depending on the year/model.

Marlon Brando had a G9 twin with them on upside down , but you'd expect that of him.

with wings from about 1937 on, before that just the M

Andrew, yes Metal M's were used on G3L's..... At least on some and at least till 1942. Ron

photo Scan-130803-0001_zpsff9ef2e8.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The G3L parts list of contract C12632 and C12633 dated 26/11/41 still mentions the separate metal wing and metal M.
The parts list of the next contract C14499 dated 01/05/42 does not mention the metal M's any more so tranfers were used.
The changeover between metal badges and tranfers must have been somewhere between these dates.

Regards,
Peter

Correct Peter. I have that same parts list for C12632/3. and the illustration shows the two holes for the badge screws. My own G3L is from an earlier contract in 1941 and I have never noticed evidence of the holes. Unless of course they have been filled in or a later tank fitted Ron

photo G3L086_zpse300bef0.jpg

Where do you get the correct decal/transfers ?

email (option): ggoodwin68@gmail.com

From www.classictransfers.co.uk Mine are number 6822 military 1939-45

Ron

Sorry guys, but after extensive research, we have found no evidence of transfers being used on the sides of the tank during the war! Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

What about WO amendment B/78942 paragraph 17 sub section 23/A on the 16 July 1943?
Anyway Bob and Marcia make them, so it must be true

Ron

Ron Pier
What about WO amendment B/78942 paragraph 17 sub section 23/A on the 16 July 1943?
Anyway Bob and Marcia make them, so it must be true

Ron

Ron, you must have a whole book with amendments, this is the second one you give me, can't wait till it gets published!!!

Bob and Marcia are however producing the tanktop Matchless transfer, used on both G3 and G3L's, should be ready before the end of the year.

Also the proper G3L front fork transfer is now being made, different again from what John T had made, this is the first pattern transfer.

Anyone who can send me a wartime picture of a G3L with winged "M" transfers on the tank, I will buy a beer, next time I see him!

There is however an exeption, have a couple of pictures, with stencilled white winged "M"s on the tank, so that would justify the use of a transfer I guess.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

This is the transfer that Bob and Marcia quote as WW2 military stencil style.... Their words, not mine!

http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/pages/gallery/matchless-6822lc-155x78mm-pound3.001285.php

I'll be interested to see these new tank top transfers. What are they about? Did they fit them to a panel tank?

Ron

Is this a stencil, Lex or is it simply that the transfers now available are a little too art-deco and should have a solid form ?

photo Cyrilnfriendonmatchless_zps4d47bd63.jpg

From S.2604, Scheduled for delivery at 1600 per month commencing November 1943

Too difficult to see Rik, the M transfers are just not in any parts lists, and the other transfers, including the tanktop are!

Ron, all G3 and G3L's had them, panel tank included, see pictures:

Cheers,

Lex

Well done Rik. Just like mine! Lex owes you a beer. Or is that actually a wartime picture? Did they paint white wheel nuts on a Bedford MW water bowser during the war? And well done on those other transfers Lex. Look forward to getting them. Nothing like dressing up and old drab green bike Ron

Lex, Do you have a part number for the Norton tank logo ? I don't think that the Norton books list any transfers (and would be surprised if the MoS were prepared to pay for manufacturer's advertising to be replaced).

It doesn't mean of course that they weren't fitted in the factory, as we know from surviving tanks that they were.

Ron, I don't know if it's a wartime image. Certainly late if it is with tailored BD. However, it has the blackout mask still fitted (with flap raised ?) which makes me think that it can't be long after. Probably the summer of 1945 rather than 1944..

This picture is post-war as it shows a G3L in the hands of the Italian police in occupied Italy. However, the fittings and census number all look original and it doesn't appear to be a bike that's been rebuilt.

photo Italianmatchless_zpsf0c3c5ed.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that it's a transfer and not a stencil and would be surprised if they rushed boxes of 'Winged M' transfers to Italy in 1945...or would they have made them locally and why ?

Machine is also from S.2604

sorry Lex, I respect your knowledge and I do not want to ressurect an old discussion but this modern idea that parts lists are holy writ, or that workshops worried themselves about matching numbers to frames or to contract numbers is just misguided.

Parts list are not 100% accurate,never have been.Just becuase a parts lists shows screw holes in a tank in not proof, do you think they bothered in wartime to make a new printing block? The AMC books are notoriously reused for several years wth addenda slips even after the war ended.

such a trivial point as a tank badge/transfer would never have been an issue in wartime on what was essentially disposable kit. Not the sort of thing to be worried about under falling bombs in Woolwich.

I have also seen tanks with the long Matchless name such as used on the rear mudguard on the tank.

one reason why a lot of in-service photo do not show a transfer is that they were over painted or simply worn away, they are quite fragile, I have a few original gold size fix ones , very thin indeed. plus the rear end of the tank alway had the paint got worn away by battledress trousers or riders macs.

Its much like the dogma around unit markings, allegedly never on the front mudguard yet I have several period photos of such used by my fathers Middlesex regt 1942-47.

PS for the younger members or colonial ones who think there was time enough to fret about minor details should look at this site.

this is less than a year, and just London, chances are if you sent your revised parts list to a printer it wouldnt be there tomorrow to print it.
site doesnt even cover the V1/V2 period.

http://www.bombsight.org/#11/51.4465/0.0106

Lex, were these AMC tank top transfers just put on their WD products or civilian bikes too? and from what year and until when? Who's making the replicas and when will they be available? What a lot of questions!

Bloody hell Rik. I think that's two beers from Lex

Ken. I wouldn't dispute irregularities in parts lists, but the lists were adjusted for each contract so must have been fairly accurate, otherwise what was the point of printing them. I don't think it's prudent to make rash statements like "this or that did or didn't happen". In my 30 years in this hobby I have found that nothing is ever cast in stone and part of the hobby is unravelling some of the truth. Ron

you are right Ron, on the whole we seem to agree? but I doubt if minutia such as screw holes in tanks were allowed for.

On christains archives http://archives.jampot.dk/ you can find all parts lists, have look through those to spot the anomolies.

Before I started off loading much of my junk I had late 40's parts lists
with addenda slips in to the effect of use this list for such and such year.

you are right about not being cast in stone, but for instance AMC were notorious for airbrushing publicity pic to the extent the photo became paintings, look carefully at catalogue pics and try to spot things like cable runs.

I can also claim working at the Matchless factory at the end and some of the tales I heard from the older hands,gave me a whole new outlook on past events.

In wartime and in austerity 40's small things didnt matter.

I'm really cheesed off now as I shall have to go through a pile of mouse gnawed, mouldy, spider webby back numbers of the wartime mags to find something to back me up.

And if I do that before the poor sod gets his g3 engine he'll be even more unhappy with me

That's strange....I responded earlier to a post by Fred and they've both disappeared ?

Ken, if yer " 'avin' a rummage", would there be any chance of looking out the pictures of your Dad on the bikes ? Both Formation ('Divisional') and Arm of Service serials were displayed on mudguards at various times but there was an Army Council Instruction during 1941 which stated that Formation Signs should no longer be displayed on motorcycles which is odd as it must have been a Traffic Control nightmare.

It's clear that parts books were printed prior to commencement of the contracts and as changes were introduced, the books lagged behind. However, if an item such as the metal badges were left out then it's fair to assume that they were discontinued.

One of the things that we're doing by going back to primary sources is deconstructing the post-war details that have often been accepted as 'original' by the WD bike scene.

My personal feeling is that a WD bike should be 'in period' to the best of our abilities...but the best transfers in the world are more than negated by pre-insulated coloured wiring connectors...

AMC weren't the only 'improvers' of catalogue photos and in fact most printed images were retouched to add shadow, definition and shine to the chrome (plus as Ken says, hide the untidy cable runs !)

I'll dig out some pics, not of the old man but some of his unit.

need to transfer to photobucket and then here, which task seems more tricky than other sites for some reason.

I quite agree about "in period" although my G3l is "dead right but all wrong" as I like to say, Lt Col "Tiny" Ayres who used to run Verralls in Tooting always said mine was the only one he'd seen that looked as if it had seen real service.

It did have the mud of Arnhem and bits of France under its guards.

But I find a good coat of WD40 followed by a run over the dusty bits of Salisbury Plain is a good substitute.

Hi all, by winding you all up a bit, I get much more interesting answers then asking a normal question!!

Ken please post some pictures, personally I use this site:

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/index.php

No adds, no cost, just pictures, make an account, and you're good to go.

Rick can Always have some beers! no probs, but by extensive research I do not mean looking at just a parts list! many other sources have been followed.

Don't know if any of you Matchless afficinado's is aware of this website:

http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/db/views/search.php

This is the work of Simon Warner, and eventually all part numbers should have a picture of the part attached, but that could take many years.

Best Regards,

Lex Schmidt

Thanks folks, So am now changing my tanks about, All tanks taken off to get the Autocycle muck out, so A Bloody BIG task, The G3 has a bigger and different tank It would have been nice to fit the metal'Ms to that tank but there are no holes,Lex has said many different tanks were fitted to the G3L so I will fit the Tank with metal Ms to my early G3L Andrew,h.

Ken, some of the wording of your last post is ringing some bells. Have we nearly met once over some wooden ammo box's?
I often find myself talking to guys on some forums whom I have know for some time, but am not aware of it at first because they use pseudonyms

Ron

Whilst Matchless tanks are being mentioned, I am on the look out for a large G3 one if anyone has one to sell? Holes or no holes!!

email (option): alistair@jimpeet.co.uk

yes Ron off that other forum.

you were concerned about my being concealed in bushiness.

I also bought a bent tail end silencer off you at Netley last year.

I hope you do not want a tank panel one, they get around 500 quid on ebay even rusty

IWM photo archive, image BM35554 taken on 22/06/45 shows two G3L's C5255476 and C5259304 with transfers on the tanks......taken in Egypt.......

Worth also noting that there are different versions of G3 and G3L tanks.....

With the G3 you got the panel and non-panel version, both having screw holes for the metal "M"s and a pair of holes either side for the knee grip plates.....

The first G3L's seem to have had a tank that lost the knee grip plate holes but retained the badge screw holes.......

At some point during the war a second pattern of tank was introduced that still had the badge screw holes but now had a single "knee grip plate" hole re-introduced either side.......these were for attaching the Vokes air cleaner straps rather than knee grip plates........

Then a third type appeared late in the war that lacked the badge screw holes when the transfers were introduced, but retained the single screw hole either side to attach the Vokes straps to.......

But the story doesn't quite end there.......a few years ago now I had a few G3L tanks in store, all a late type lacking the badge screw holes but retaining the single filter strap holes either side.....but on comparing tanks there were two distinct variations.....one type being a slightly different profile to the other and with a variation in the cutaway design beneath.........this puzzled me.......

But when I checked out a late-war G3L workshop manual and parts list, it noted that there were two different tanks in use that had a variation in the top profile, requiring the use of different wooden support blocks to mount the rear of the filter on the tank top..........

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Thanks for that Steve. I hate it when Lex tells me my bike is wrong
I have that information on the two types of tanks in my maintenance manual. But never seen the 6150 spares list to which they refer. Also I'd like to see a description of how the filter hose connects to the carb. I gather you have to space the oil tank off....But it's all very tight for room. Ron

photo Scan-130811-0001_zps5f55a46b.jpg

Well there's the evidence Ron ! Thanks, saves me digging my manual out.....

I too haven't got that late spares list, but the workshop manual confirms two tank types (at least)........

The photo quoted earlier is a wartime shot and shows two G3L's from the right-front with (British) riders close-up.......both G3L's have had the headlights removed for competition work, one G3L having an early W/NG rubber-mounted handlebar lug welded atop the teledraulics in an almost upright position ! Both tanks are identical, bearing stencilled "C" numbers and "M" transfers below, NOT metal badges.........the "C" numbers should indicate the relevant G3L contract.......(photo mid-1945 in Egypt).......

All in all, the transfers may be deemed late-war production, the earlier metal "M"s predominating for most of the war.......

In my experience, the G3L parts list all use the drawings from the original 1941 contract, continuing to show (late war) among other things the early rear frame with "plates" at the rear, the peculiar speedo bracket, the odd fork lug, etc..........not to be relied on methinks.......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

For what It's worth, my '48 G80 has metal winged "M"s but I have seen G3Ls and G80s with both transfers and metal "M"s on postwar bikes.

Rick

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Hi All,

Is someone also making the separated wins and M ?
If so can you leth me know??
regards,

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Bram just cut the wings off the later winged "M"s and you have one piece already!

May have one lose wing emblem, will look next week.

Cheers,

Lex

Where can I get some metal eMs?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the info about METAL eMS,thats cleared the air a bit,andrew.h

Nieuwe pagina 1