Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014...listen carefully...

There are just a few days left until the end of July and currently there are insufficient volunteers for the various jobs I roughly outlined in my last post on the subject..
What is particularly required are people with Normandy and/or convoy/marshalling experience....
I would like to get this matter resolved quickly so please consider the fact that you should be prepared to make a contribution to the event and then turn that into action...
I am completely prepared to withdraw any effort towards this event if there is insufficient response and commitment.. and you should take that statement seriously....
You can spend your lives sat on your arses if you want to...but if you do I will be joining you, not working mine off organising your holiday....Contact me off forum please before August 2nd.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Normandy 2014...listen carefully...

I know you need things set in concrete to move forward with things.I am hoping to be their in 2014 and i will do what i can to help which i did on the 65th e.g convoy control and i had not volunteered .I think on the days you need people they will come out the woodwork. As i said i know you need things set up but will people commit a year in advance when they dont want to let you down.

I'm afraid 'people coming out of the woodwork' to organise a runout for 100 plus bikes 'on the day' won't do...As having volunteers for marshalling who have no prior knowledge of what is required of them will do either...
Whilst a certain number of 'new' people can make a worthwhile contribution during the event another number of more experienced people with a knowledge of 'procedures' and local knowledge of the area are also needed...and you have to know you have them...
You talk about commitment a year in advance...I and others have already committed time and money to this event 2 years in advance....
When did that become our job exactly?
If this event does go ahead I will be committing my time and effort solidly for the next 10 months..(along with a couple of others).
Think about that...
I'm not asking for that..not even half of that....
Why does anybody just assume that 'someone else' will do this for them or that by some odd act of God it will just happen?

That wasn't the way the 65th. came about I can assure you.....

It takes time and it takes commitment...I'm asking that some more people provide some of those things...Ian

Ian, I should have the Matchless sorted by then, you can put me down for anything. The only reason that I haven't volunteered before is that me getting over there is that it is based on everything falling into place to actually get there. I'm sure that once everyone is assembled over there , people will volunteer if asked. I'm sure a lot of people WILL help, but like me they don't want to let you down by not being sure if their bike will be ready in time for the event, or if they can get the time off work to get there etc. I don't want to commit to anything nearly a year ahead as so much in life can change. But once there I will help in any way I can.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd leave this part of the organisation until a lot nearer the event, I'm sure it will all fall into place

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Ian is quite right we do need commitment for this tour to work.

There are hundreds of good reasons for not getting there at the last minute for all of us but we have to stand up and say "I intend to be there for the tour and am willing to spend some of my holiday working for the greater good".

Along with other jobs I have volunteered to lead a some runs whilst in Normandy, I estimate that one convoy of 60 motorcycles will need 5-6 marshalls, but we may have to double or even treble these figures to get every one safely to our destinations and home again. Some of these marshall will be at the back in case someone breaks down and needs assistance, so in this case people with a good mechanical grasp is more important than a knowledge of Normandys roadways.

There will be liason runs checking routes and recovery runs for the lame and brocken, ect ect

Yes it is work but its also fun I'm looking forward to it.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

I can only reiterate what has been said by Ian and Rob. Lots of guys have said they are willing to help at the time if they are there. If you were planning to ride a Harley along Route 66 sometime next year, you would be planning it months ahead not, if or when you get there! This is also hampered by the fact that we are not a club or organisation with a periodical mag or mail shot, so it can only be organised through these forums or word of mouth. I am beginning to have serious misgivings about the event which I have been involved with since the beginning. Not least a 3 acre camping field which I have paid a substantial deposit on. I need to know soon if I have the embarrassing task of cancelling the field and writing my deposit off. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thankyou Rob...At last, someone who has a grasp of what is required here...

'I'm willing to help but don't put me down for anything just yet'..that won't do it I'm afraid...

If the likes of Colin H, Ron Pier, Rob Miller, Myself and others had chosen to take that attitude nothing would have been achieved thus far towards the 70th.....and a lot has already been done..

On the 65th. how do you think the Guiness attempt came about?..the pre booked (and deposit paid) campsite many of you stayed on?.(and the signposts that guided you there)..The written permission from the Mayors office in Arromanches to enter the town on D Day?....Even the pen you used to fill in your form (and the form) for the record run, or the pieces of wood that Arromanches Mayoree supplied (free gratis) to put under the sidestands of the bikes on the beach?....

All of these things and a myriad of other small and large details represented the results of around 18 months of detailed ADVANCED planning, thought and COMMITMENT that went into that event and the efforts of the small team involved on that occasion to 'get it done'....

It was worth the sacrifice, I remember it as one of the great events of my life and something created from nothing...
However, speaking entirely from my own point of view, it was far too much really..On some days, for example I didn't even have time to have a meal until late evening....and this event will be bigger....

As Rob says we are all subject to the vagaries of life...None of us can be absolutely sure we will be there in 2014....but now is the time to 'get off the fence', stop thinking 'it will all work itself out'...(as it won't)...and show some enthusiasm that goes beyond talking and qualified commitment....

The mere fact I am sat here typing this, trying to persuade others to make an effort, is another example of my commitment to try and get this thing organised...Do I need to do it?...No..

I'm doing it because I want there to be a '70th.' commemoration of the service of WW2 motorcyclists...

Do you?....

It's a bloody good job the three years leading up to D Day weren't like that...'Guns?, Ships?..yeah, they'll turn up on the day somehow'...Well, no actually, they wouldn't have....Ian

as I mentioned in a previous post ,I will be there for the 70th and will have a large van on site so am perfectly happy to go and collect any bikes that are unable to be fixed at the roadside providing the rider is prepared to wait for me to return to the site to collect said van and assuming its not my bike that's broken
Nigel

Thanks Nigel...I have you on my list subsequent to your previous posting...
I'll be in touch at some point to discuss the arrangements further when (if) it all works out and I get down to the detailed planning around all these tasks...Ian

"I intend to be there for the tour and am willing to spend some of my holiday working for the greater good".

and PM sent to Ian explaining some of issues.

Rob van Meel

PS see you all there, and do try to get the number of Nortons present up

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Ok Ian, I'm sure everyone that is there on the day is willing to help in some way, so can we have a list of "I'm willing to help if I am there on the day" This allows people to put their name down without feeling that they've let the side down if for some reason they can't make it, which I'm sure at least 98% of them would make it
I understand the issues you have with regards to organising the events down to the last piece of wood on the beach, as I too have organised a big show within a show for one of the Harley Davidson Stars and Stripes weekends and as you say there is an awful lot to organise, liaising with the site owners, organising two marquees and ensuring that the site is ready, organising bar and beer supplies, seven bands fencing round the site and our own internal catering etc. I've found that everyone at the show was willing to help as it made them feel like they were contributing to a bigger thing. I'm sure it's not that there is a shortage of helpers, just people who are concerned that they may not have a job by this time next year, or that they won't have finished their bike on time or even just that they aren't confident about driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't mean in real terms that it is organised literally on the day, but maybe in the last month before it.
As with most clubs there is usually some internal politics which can hinder the organisation, but at least with this not being a club as such ( even though its informality masks the fact that good things can be achieved without club status) I'm sure that there will ultimately be plenty of people helping and volunteering to help nearer the day. It's still a worry though!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Below is an example of the way I like to plan things..and for good or bad I am organising the overall planning for 2014 at this point in time and am also getting involved in the efforts of others with the more detailed planning...

I don't like to leave things to chance, I like to be sure all aspects are covered and I believe it is best to complete all planning well in advance of the actual event and provide plenty of time to consider everyones input and suggestions and to resolve each issue in a considered fashion.
Also to have a flexible basic planning structure that has some capacity to change with changing circumstances should that be required...(and it was last time)

This week it was decided what date (provisionally) one of the runs involving a large number of the bikes will take place...That date is of course conditional on there being no official events either at the destination or any of the other places to be visited along the way which may compromise access/parking etc.

This needs to be checked in advance and monitored for changing circumstances on an on going basis..

It has also been decided that splitting the group into two will make it more manageable on the road...Each 'half' will be led by an individual and these two, whoever they may be will get together to determine the route, places to be visited, duration of stops etc. Also the times (relevant to each other) that the groups leave and arrive....
There will be approx. 5 marshals attached to each group to help with 'junction work', to aid in keeping the group together and to assist with parking as required on arrival....
These marshals must be familiar with the route as at some points they may be detached from the group itself.
There will be two 'Tail End Charlies' per group...This is to ensure that there is always one in place but that if a bike breaks down the other TEC can stop, quickly determine whether a repair can be made and if not, note the location of the breakdown so the bike and rider can be recovered later...This could occur over 50 miles from the campsite so it has to be covered.
Again these TEC need to be able to find their own way if they become separated from the group.
The two run organisers also have to make a map and timetable available (for these major runs) which will be sent to each person booked onto the tour with the other tour information early in 2014 prior to leaving for France...This will allow participants the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the routes etc. before departure.
Any 'drivers meetings' to explain any details or changes will also have to be held on site the day before to take account of any last minute changes/considerations that may arise....

This should mean there are manageable groups of bikes on the road, going to places where access has been pre determined at times and along routes that everyone has been informed about. Those that may be unlucky enough to have mechanical trouble will not just be abandoned miles from the site as that has been planned for...and those 'first timers' there are will not just be lost somewhere in France with no idea of where they are if separated from the group....

This requires 2 organisers, 5 marshals and 2 tail end charlies for EACH group,
a total of 18 people then, most of whom need to have a clear idea of their function and the knowledge and confidence to carry it out as efficiently as possible..Also maps, armbands to allow marshals to be identified as such and flags to attach to the TECs bikes so they can be readily identified as 'the last man'..

This requires forward planning..not some cobbled up arrangement with last minute volunteers who don't know exactly what they are doing, how they are going to do it, how they are going to get there etc. etc.....

to quote another army phrase that I think is very relevant here...the 6 'P's...

Perfect Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.....

The above indicates the degree of thought that has already gone into just one aspect of the tour and I hope, makes clear that leaving organisation to the last minute is not a viable strategy if things are going to have any semblance of order 'on the day'...

I think it also illustrates very clearly the number of competent people that are required to organise and carry this out and therefore, the importance of a good response to my current request.....

I and the others who have, to date, committed themselves to this endeavour have the peculiar privelidge of deciding the best way to run it...
That decision has been made after detailed discussions and only requires a degree of assistance from others, along the lines outlined by the organisers, for it all to come to fruition....

If someone has a better plan, feels that this is the wrong way to do things or that they can take over and deliver a well organised event themselves by some other method, now is the time to shout out...

If not, then 'muck in', volunteer and help to get it done....Ian

Ian as before see previous mail, I am happy to plan a trip around the falaise pocket, Richard my son in law a keen M20 rider will I'm sure want to help as well He has booked time off from the 2nd of June next year, as well as myself ,but he is in Normandy as I type, sorting out this years visit to our House , Put me down for a marshal or whatever you want, I will be there You will not get a response after 5th of Aug.andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi Andrew...As you have suggested this idea on the forum I'd propose that forum contributors give their opinions here initially on whether this is something they would like to do...Perhaps you should start a new thread on this subject and outline your proposals further...

The 'closing' battles of the Normandy campaign took place in this area, culminating in what, for the Germans, was the disastrous and virtually complete elimination of an entire German Panzer Army which had counter attacked in an attempt to 'split' the Allied front....

Falaise and back is a good days riding from Etreham...perhaps you could provide an estimate of the total mileage so that the trip could be better assessed?...

The date for a potential trip will have to be chosen so as to dovetail in with other tour arrangements...but that shouldn't be problematical.
You will be responsible for all other aspects of planning and execution...Ian

no problem Ian but might not be able to start thread till after my return from hols Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

And a good place to have a stop is Fresney-le-Puceux, where Lance Corporal Don Fife stopped on his way to Falaise at that small chapel to show his Norton, and where in 2010 we placed a commemorative plaque....

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Hi Ian
I have no wish to be involved in the organising of the event Very happy for FRL Media Group to cover and film the whole event ,I wish to be very much on the outside to get the right feel for the event , but be very much involved outside to get the right feel for the final footage , my team will consist of Myself , Keith Summers , Alan Shackelton , Roland Hilder , we will all be filming the event
Jamie Wells will be collating the footage in our media outside broad cast unit that will be located on the camp site , My brief,,, to produce a documentary of the whole event ,hope this meets with your approval
John

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

Hi Ian,

2014 will be my first trip to Normandy. I know nothing of the event nor do I have first hand knowledge the areas to be traveled. However, I have been an event producer, and am adept at functioning as a liaison. I also have much experience shepherding and directing large groups of motorcyclists. I am a fair motorbike mechanic, and I can read a map. I would be happy to assist in any way I can, should my help be needed. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for everything you are doing for all of us.

Mark

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

John your filming expertise will be invaluable. The rules for our Guinness World Record run include that the whole 2 mile parade must be filmed start to finish!!
It will be a load of my mind if I can rely on you and your crew to undertake this. Regards Ron

Hi John...I've mailed you direct at 'Field and Rural Life'...Ian

PM sent Ian, regards Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Hans WDM20 58764
And a good place to have a stop is Fresney-le-Puceux, where Lance Corporal Don Fife stopped on his way to Falaise at that small chapel to show his Norton, and where in 2010 we placed a commemorative plaque....

200 bikes up that lane Hans.......Are you mad?

Ron

Well, the few people living there will ALWAYS remember

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Hi Ian

PM sent.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Ron
Ya I will sort the filming of the run , no issue this end , will sort with you later
John

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

Good! Thanks John.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1