Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: US Ebay M20s deal ongoing request for emergency help

Ken, one of the reasons that so many M20s are in the USA, was a large consignment of reserve stocks stored in Germany (in case the ruskies invaded )in the late sixty's and were bought up from auction in Antwerp and delivered to Florida by enterprising dealers, all were in ready to go order, and had been through a rebuild and had bi annual checks, marking the checks by stencil on to the tank , mine has 1950 51 53 56 58 60 62 ect I imported mine from the USA two years ago , in an as found condition but new tyres and other minor repairs, A brand new engine and gear box ( unstamped)was fitted during a rebuild in Germany, there is now only a few hundred miles on the speedo,I assume it was fitted with a rebuilt one,The bike was at WAR AND PEACE this year on the NOBS display Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hello Rob
I am happy to help, but I'm in Australia. I can paypal you the money if you need
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Hi Darren,

This is so cool! You guys on Forum are the best.

I'll PM you for details. At this point, it's "Backup" money
just in case.

Thank you very much!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nice job Rob. They are off ebay and I suspect you are waiting for a successful transaction.

cheers, Scott

sounds good, those recon M20's would have scared those ruskies sh!t witless.
Blimey the damage they'd infilct if one got dropped on a russian foot.
beats shooting them in the guts.

Typical that the army were tipping them out the back of lorries into a council tip near Windsor around 1967/8.

Here's an ad from Cycle World, circa 1964.....

photo WMsaleadvert.jpg

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

I paid $250 for mine, still in the crate in 1970. It was one of 6 in Grand Rapids, MI.

There was a battery (worked), panniers (complete) decent tires, and a complete tool kit.

I sold the bike when I went into service (Navy), and bought it back (did not know it was mine at the time) for $25.00 with most sheet metal missing, no panniers, tool kit, battery, and painted purple.

I still have my bike, named her the "Survivor" as she made it through the war, a divorce, my Navy tour, and another divorce.

I pick bikes beter that I do women.

Cheers all, and thanks for the background info.

I'm always amazed at what got sent over the pond.
In the 1970's/early 80's when the pound was at rock bottom all sorts of choice and not so choice machinery went out the UK. By the container load.

I even had a hand in it myself.

I had no idea that M20's were so desirable over there back then.

Painted purple?
thats so 1970.........
not being judgemental, he who is without sin etc etc.

As I have said in another thread, I used to refuse them as gifts, last year I sold a really nice and correct WD M20, on behalf of my neighbour who had inherited it, for 3.5k.
Beats me

This is getting to be a huge hoot!!!

Steve, I'm almost finished with a 41 G3L that started with a motor from OB, and a set of triple trees. All I need now is a correct battery carrier and a real rear stand! Less than a year, and build from spares lurking under benches.

Ken, It was also "Metal Flake" Purple. LOL!!!

Anybody there need a front fork? I still need some money to complete this deal. You say it's worth a thousand quid? I'd pay the postage for that.

PM me if you are interested. Really!

At my age I need no more bike parts, time i was thinking about getting shot instead, but when you consider the price asked for an iffy, possibly lethal set of Indian made girder forks; 650£ plus for a rebuild thats not making the owner happy, near £1000 for a good set of genuine forks begins to look as if its worth considering.Especially if the owner of the unhappy rebuild goes to law.
One has to factor in time and stress element.

I have seen several sets of girders here sell for 5-600 quid.

For some parts prices are going bonkers, at leats in the eyes of old fart like myself, but if you have 3/4 of a bike thats worth money, it starts to look almost sensible to complete it.
I know a guy that had Matchless Silver Hawk forks made and on sale at £1000.
They will not be Indian crap, probably Czech manufacture where some quality repros are being turned out.

Maybe you should save a set for a pattern and turn out some repros of quality?

Bloody hell,you can send a go cart to Mars, M20 forks should be a doddle?

Why not stick a set on ebay as a taster at say, £700 and see what happens
Indian forks are just short of 400 quid delivery inc to uk.
I know what I'd risk my neck on.

Hey Ken,

I'm an old fart myself! I started collecting Social Security in March, and look what I'm doing with it.

Cheers all,

Robb

they collect social security here at 16..................

Nieuwe pagina 1