Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014.....Important Notice

For the 2014 event to take place input will be required from a greater number of people than on the 65th...To that end this is a call for volunteers to perform various tasks prior to and during the event..
Initially this covers 3 areas of the organisation...

1)Commemorative wreath.
2)Marshalls
3)Road Runs

1)Wreath...One person is required to organise the acquisition, preparation and transportation of the commemorative wreath to Normandy...
You will liase with the tour organisers over the specification of the wreath, venue, time and date for the placement and details of those attending (ie wreath laying party) and then it will be down to you...
Ideally someone with connections to the British Legion would be well placed for this task, but anyone can approach a local Legion Branch for assistance in obtaining a suitable wreath.

2)Marshalls...Approx. 10 Marshalls will be required to assist in vehicle movement and general organisation during the tour...
Typical tasks..On D Day the junctions in Arromanches will need to be marshalled..also at various times marshalls will be required to assist with vehicle movement/placement etc. and to also do some 'junction work' on runs out....
This is not a planning/organisational role in as much as it will involve the carrying out of tasks detailed by the tour organisers, but obviously as a group you may need to 'get together' to organise the details and execution of those tasks in advance.
Therefore, one marshall will need to take on the role of liason between the organisers and the other marshalls. If you are prepared to take on this additional function please make that fact known...

3)There will be three main runs during the period of the tour which will probably involve large numbers...They are...

a)The D Day Events...
b)A run to the 'American end' (St. Mere Eglise via other places of interest.)
c)A run to the 'British end' (Pegasus Bridge etc.)

The D Day arrangements will come directly under the umberella of the tour organisation.
The other runs will each be divided into two groups to ease movement on the road...
Each run ('b' and 'c' above)will require...
4 volunteers (2 for each part of the run)to organise the routes, oversee all aspects of the particular run, liase with the marshalls as required etc. etc. Also you will need to produce a map detailing the route to be taken etc. and make this available for inclusion in the tour information that is being sent to participants (via the tour organisers) in the early part of 2014...Obviously you will need to liase closely with your fellow organisers, and at an early stage the dates, times and arrangements for the runs will need to be discussed with the tour organisers...
Once the basics are defined, the detail organisation will be your responsibility from there on and you will need to liase with your fellow organisers to define details/the division of tasks etc.. 'On the day' two run organisers will lead each group that makes up their selected run....
'Tail End Charlies'...4 TECs will be needed for each major run out (2 for each part of the run) and for additional TEC duties.(so 8 in total for the two runs)..The 'job description' will be outlined by the organisers but you will also have to liase with the run organisers and marshalls as required...

Right...Stop shuffling about at the back....I won't waste my time 'beating about the bush' over this, that's not my style....
All these tasks will require some effort and in some cases that will be considerable..It will also require some input of time and resources...
It is best suited to people who are intending to do most or all of the tour, or at least the 2nd to the 7th. of June inclusive (Tour dates 1st.-10th. of June).
For the run organisers people with some knowledge of the Normandy area would be best..or a determination to acquire that as you go along and upon arrival in Normandy prior to 'your' run taking place...
Once committed to any of these tasks you must produce a result and be prepared to overcome any difficulties in achieving that.

Finally..I would hope there won't be a shortage of volunteers...but I'm only making this request ONCE......'If you want to take part you have to do your part'...
The event is now too big for everyone to sit back and expect 'someone else' to do it..So,let's be absolutely clear, the future of the event is in ALL your hands...

Please contact me in the first instance if you want to 'step up' and/or for further information about your chosen task..Also let me know what you want to do....
Give this careful consideration, but please get in touch before the end of July if you can help....there's a lot to do....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Normandy 2014.....Important Notice

Ian. Apart from my involvement at the camp-site. Put me down for marshalling and road run duties. As you know, my knowledge of the area is reasonable and I coped well this year as tour guide to some newbies.(only a dozen or so)
You may remember that on the 65th I was the marshal at the last junction in Arrowmanches. Which I'm happy to undertake again. To that end I will be looking at the tide table with view to using the beach as well as our normal hard standing. Regards Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ian, as one of the chosen few on the 2009 tour, I will put myself forward for the same duties on the 2014 tour, also I can sort out and deal with the Poppy wreath and anything in that line you might need,

To Colin et al...Please mail me directly 'off forum' regarding this post..thanks....Ian

I have sent you an off forum email, and have just spoken to Shane, can you add him to the list as a Marshal

Hello Ian , you can cont me in to take a group to some of the wd bike tours visits as last year I took Ron and some friend on thaw and this year was nominated as pathfinder for some of are runs and translator on the camp site for the bookings for the wd bike tour and the MVT bookings on the camp site.

Just think you have a Nr 10 interallied commando on board.

Guy

email (option): guy66@skynet.be

No need to volunteer Guy. We already commandeered your services before you came on line Ron

Hi Ian

I would like to help out with these tasks. Probably assisting with the Road Runs as I have joined you on such runs in Normandy in the past. Call me to discuss further if you like.

Regards - Jon

Ian, I would love to assist.....Mrs M and I are planning to come over next year for the 70th after a long absence but we may only be there for 4 - 5 days in all.......as a Founder member of the original small group of "NOBS" from 2000-2001 I have a great knowledge of the area and well used to marshaling from my days as a plod traffic/motorcyclist........but our time over next year may be limited...however, the offer of some help, possibly as a stand-in, is there......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Thanks to everyone so far....At this point I am noting who has expressed an interest and will be in touch at some point in the near future..For now the list remains open and more volunteers are needed!....Ian

although not in a position to help with the tasks listed I will be coming from England with a lwb transit carrying 2 bikes and would be willing to carry any spares people wish to take but cant carry and wonder if it may be useful to perhaps have a centralised spares back up perhaps with people boxing and labelling parts and supplying phone number so that in the event of any breakdowns riders can make contact with parts owners and negotiate use either purchase or on a replacement basis.Hopefully no parts would be needed during the trip but at least this way there would be a good chance of dealing with most problems whist in France rather than participants being stuck at the campsite for want of parts
Nigel

I have used this system myself when I have been on extended tours..I packed various parts into boxes along with the tools needed to fit them..I then numbered each box, recorded the numbers and laid them out in the workshop....In the event of problems I then just had to contact 'her indoors', give her the right box number and address and the parts and tools would have arrived in due course..
It wasn't all big stuff like mags for example..some were the smaller parts that would have caused real frustration if they had failed, been unobtainable and buggered up my holiday..
It took a fair bit of preparation and due to the remarkable reliability of the BSA (and a dose of good luck!) I never actually had to use the system...
Nevertheless, it is a good 'insurance policy' and skirts round having a lorry full of spares and a team of mechanics following on behind (like Ewan and Charlie did.. )....Ian

Best starting point for a "spares back-up system" is to look at failures from earlier years.......

Ariel W/NG stripping the clutch basket splines (George !!!).......though incredibly he managed to make a repair "in the field" that got him around Normandy and all the way back to the UK.....

Ariel W/NG (again) shooting the primary chain through the front of the alloy chaincase (Chris Brindle !!!!).........

Loadsa punctures (John T !!!!).......

Fuel pipes coming apart (Kevin Forster !!!! - G3L)......

I could go on........

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

If a rear wheel bearing on a CO fails, you just phone Hitchcocks and they send a replacement by Fedex within 24 hours. Bearing costs £4.95+VAT. Fedex costs £85.

How do I know Ron

Looks like I went on holiday at the perfect time, I've missed my chance to officially volunteer. Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob..Good job you volunteered unofficially.... ...Ian

I am hoping to come to Normandy in 2014 and would be happy to volunteer for something, not sure what though as I have never been before.

Ian, I will always muck in and be allocated a job but not washing up, peeling potatoes.or guard duty, lol, if you want I can organise a tour around the Falaise pocket and arrange camping in or around My old farm house (had it for 25 years) with clean accommodation,floor sleeping only, with hot shower lots of water flush toilet ect, at my house nr Vire camping for hundreds as there is three acres the house was used as a first aid dressing station and was liberated on my birthday 17th august,and remains as was in 1944 pp me off line if you want but off to France with no access to pooter, on the fourth aug, for a while to mow the grass with my tratter Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi Ian. My son and I should be there with a wd/co and a g3l and would be delighted to help both before and during with whatever you need.
My knowledge of Normandy is fair having been attending anniversaries since 1974 but I've only had limited experience of convoy and traffic control work although I think I'm reasonably intelligent and quick to learn.
Give us a job and we will sort it I'm sure.
Regards.
Paul Holmes

email (option): paul@holmesfamily.ws

Hi Ian, obviously really looking forward to going over next year even though I can't apply for that weeks holiday until our company give's us our annual leave intitlement in October. Also, I have'nt been able to book any accommodation as my daughter is desperate to come as she did on the 65th but has her final exams in June so not sure whether it will be, whole week, part week, family or just me. We have some friends staying in Hermanville which can accommodate if need be. So I feel embarrassed I can't commit myself at this moment in time rather than say yes and let you down at the last minute. Its a lot of hard work organising and running something on this scale so its great to see people coming forward to help out , if I can help at all when I'm there, I certainly will. Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Ian Hince's post has prompted me to add:- I have booked a large field at our usual camp-site (between Port en Bessin and Bayeux) for the 70th event. You can bring a tent, camper, van or caravan. Full camp site facilities are available. Proper toilets, washing and showers, shop, restaurant, Bar, swimming pool, some electric hook up( but bring an extension lead!) Can Can girls.
Also Guinness world records have accepted my application for us to attempt to beat the record set in 09.
Ian W is preparing the entry forms, but a duff computer and falling down the loft ladder is not helping him much

Ron

Hi ian
I will call you to discuss how i can help for 2014

My skills are elsewhere other than traffic control - not a strong area for me

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John O'Brien
Hi ian

My skills are elsewhere other than traffic control - Jo'b

'Quality Control' on the bar sales, eh John ?

Only when off duty sir :-D

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Ron Pier
Ian Hince's post has prompted me to add:- I have booked a large field at our usual camp-site (between Port en Bessin and Bayeux) for the 70th event. You can bring a tent, camper, van or caravan. Full camp site facilities are available. Proper toilets, washing and showers, shop, restaurant, Bar, swimming pool, some electric hook up( but bring an extension lead!) Can Can girls.
Also Guinness world records have accepted my application for us to attempt to beat the record set in 09.
Ian W is preparing the entry forms, but a duff computer and falling down the loft ladder is not helping him much

Ron

Superb Ron, have made a note of that, Can Can girls, we'll see who's on the boat on way over Oh eck, hope you're ok Ian

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Ron Pier
...- I have booked a large field at our usual camp-site (between Port en Bessin and Bayeux) for the 70th event.
Ron

Is that the field behind the camping site at Etreham ?
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Exactly so Hans. Same as the 65th.

Ron

Has it been a bit improved: more electrical outlets (otherwise late comers will need 100m extension cables....), toilets? (my bladder wants to know....)

There are proper toilet facilities within easy walk. Obviously not as easy as having your Chalet Hans. Electric hook up is available at the edge of the field. It's why I said "bring a lead"

Ron

Hi Ian,

My son (Jason) and I will be booking up for the full tour next year on our M20's as soon as the register opens. Although neither of us has any real knowledge of the area or experience marshalling we would be happy to assist in any way we can.

I was on the 65th tour and we both did the Guernsey liberation tour the following year where we assisted a couple of times marshalling the heavier kit.

Both events still bring a smile to my face.

Regards

Roy

email (option): fierybrew@yahoo.com

Afternoon

I have not been to a Normandy commemoration for a few years (20 yrs I think)and am looking to take my WM20 over next year - would you be able to include me as part of your group. I am a willing workhorse even if it is only making the tea!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Andy

Thanks to all who have volunteered so far....

Would Ian Murrel and Andy Tizzard please mail me off forum with contact details.....

Also...More volunteers with Normandy experience are still needed...Come on, don't just leave it to others...... 'Hands off cocks, on with socks' as they say in the Army......Ian

There is little chance that I can attend the 70th; all the cabins at Etreham seem to be booked, and at 80 my bones object to the pleasures of a tent
Perhaps I can hire a caravan, and in that case I hope there is a charitable soul who offers me a ride in his Big4 . I that case I will be happy to provide translators assistance; marshalling I leave for the younger.
As I have said before, my M20 will be at the disposal of any Canadian who can’t bring his own mount, and provided always my bike is up and running. And that one of my friends from Holland will take care of the transport

Hi Hans..I will be going to Normandy later this year to finalise some of the arrangements for 2014...Do you want me to see if I can find some suitable accommodation?.....It would be great if you could make it...Let me know...Ian

Hans WDM20 58764
There is little chance that I can attend the 70th; all the cabins at Etreham seem to be booked, and at 80 my bones object to the pleasures of a tent
Perhaps I can hire a caravan, and in that case I hope there is a charitable soul who offers me a ride in his Big4 . I that case I will be happy to provide translators assistance; marshalling I leave for the younger.
As I have said before, my M20 will be at the disposal of any Canadian who can’t bring his own mount, and provided always my bike is up and running. And that one of my friends from Holland will take care of the transport

Hello Hans, One of the drawbacks of living on this side of "the Pond" would be shipping my bike over at considerable expense. Your offer of a loaner bike is most generous, and it makes me take a serious look at participating. It would be an honor to attend this event, and I'll be in touch if I can arrange the details from Canada , and would love to meet some of the members of this forum,not to mention to thank you in person for the fuel tap corks you sent me a while ago. Cheers to all,
Vincent V, Nova Scotia Canada!

Hi Vincent,
About the corks:did they work?
Hans

hi ian, sent you a pm off forum.
chris

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Added information to avoid any disappointment. I have just booked my ferry ticket on line with Brittany Ferries. So that I had freedom of choice for dates. They take £25 deposit and the balance goes on your card about a month before sailing. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1