Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ariel WNG

Mick, as my WNG is still on the bench can you just outline the prewar upspec that would be required to increase performance, I'm wondering if this or some of this may have been carried out, as I suspect my bike was used for trials in the past,Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi Andrew,
I'll email you some details.
Cheers, Mick.

Mick, could you please email me the details as well. Thanks John

On my W/NG (XG 24366) the engine mods were to pop in a pre-war VB (sidevalve) cam and a slightly higher compression piston..........I ditched the standard 275 carburetter for a larger 276.........can't remember if I upped the gearbox or engine sprocket by a tooth or two but one was done ! As for the gearbox, I compared an early post war NG parts book gearbox list with the WD equivalent and simply swapped over the necessary cogs from a pile of Burman parts I had in stock.......this got rid of the awful gap between third gear and top inherent on the standard W/NG........

Mine has been followed by a modern Honda on the straight at a genuine 73 mph............(and I still have the rubber-mounted handlebars !)......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

Well, I am now the proud owner of a basket case WNG Ariel. The fame number is XG 52908 which seems to make it a 44 contract but not delivered until mid 1945. I am a bit disappointed that it is no earlier, however, it is fairly complete and has all the important tool boxes, levers, speedo, correct WD forks. There are £250 of new spares with it and I paid £1,900 for it which seems reasonable to me. It is stripped down but I have photos taken before the previous owner took it apart. It seems to be missing a rear carrier and I am not sure if the aluminium primary case is correct. I will see if I can get Uncle Ron to post some photos for me. If anyone has an original parts list of maintenance manual or any spares please do email me direct. Cheers John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

JT, I have the MOS ledgers that may give more detail....plus parts list and full workshop manual.........

Terry (Roberts) does the rear carriers and pannier brackets, Draganfly have much else (speak to my long term mate Mick Holmes), and Russell's still have many NOS W/NG bits.........

Your W/NG.....contract 294/23/S.6287, cat ref S.6287/18/1.......spares list issued March 1945..........Engine numbers BH 45701 to 49200, Frame numbers XG 51856 to 55355, "C" numbers C 6193966 to 6197465.........Drivers handbook 100/AI.2B and Maintenance Manual 101/AI.3C...........

Steel timing chain cover, late-war engine/gearbox plates, late-war (extended) girders, shorter (drop) front mudguard, (reversion to) Alloy primary chaincases, "universal" saddle, "universal" handlebars (7/8ths) and Amal-pattern non-combined controls, Vokes air-cleaner as standard..........colour was olive drab (not brown or khaki-green No.3)........supplied to the WD (Army).......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

The aluminium primary chaincase appears to be badly warped. Does anyone have any experiance of straightening them. Should I do it cold or heat it up? Thanks John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Heat the aluminum (if you can). In aerospace, we would do that to take machining stresses out and relax the metal. We did a lot of castings of various metals, and used that method for each one. Talk to someone in the heat treat industry though. torch heating at home will do more harm than good.

Good for you for taking on this project!!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1