Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magneto gear/shaft play

Hi all

I'm in the process of getting my m20 on the road for the first time. I bought it as a non runner and with your help got it up and running but the forks needed attention and its sat in bits since. I've started putting it back together now and I've noticed a fair bit of play in the gear that drives the magneto, I think I've got that right but correct me if I'm wrong on the terminology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGDaoD4eZg&feature=youtu.be

I've uploaded a short video of the play on youtube so please have a look if you have time. I would like to know if this is normal wear and can it cause any damage if not rectified. If it will require fixing then how to go about this and are any special tools required.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Re: Magneto gear/shaft play

Hi Tony...The 'drive end' mag bearing is shot and HAS to be rectified...and possibly the one at the points end as well. There should be no perceptible play here.
The bearing outers are insulated from the body and require a special tool to extract them correctly. Also, a special tool is required to get the inner bearing(s) off the armature as well.
Frankly, unless you know exactly what you are doing I would entrust this to a professional....That's just my opinion though...
Also, if the bike has been standing for years I would 'bite the bullet' and get the magneto fully overhauled..It is so fundamental to the proper operation of the bike and such a pain when not functioning correctly that it just isn't worth making a saving on...
Personally I wouldn't consider for a minute overhauling a bike without doing the mag, particularly so if its history is unknown and it has a major fault, as yours has.....
I have a full rebuild coming up on my own M20...The bike is running well at the moment but the mag has been on there some time. Consequently, I already have a reconditioned unit on the shelf to fit during the rebuild....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian

I understand your point of view. I do need the reliability and if the bearings are in that condition then it can't have been looked at for a while. I'm in the UK, any ideas of reputable company to overhaul it?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony...I'm reputable (so I hear) and can do it for you....And I should mention my comments weren't made to get the job!...Mail me off line if you need more info...and feel free to shop around first...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1