Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petseal Removal. May Help you

Hi All, i had a problem with the petseal in the tank breaking up with the ethanol in the fuel.
You may already know how to remove it, so sorry if i have repeated anything thats been on the forum before.
To remove it i bought a 500ml container of Dichloromethane from EBAY. aprox £6.
Added this to the tank, shut the petrol cap and fuel taps and slushed it around.Left it in there for a week, turning the tank daily. This weekend i have emptied out what was left.Out came lumps and flakes of the old petseal.
The dichloromethane evaporates, as soon as the tank was dry cupfuls of flaky petseal came out. Perfect all gone!
The only problem i had was the fuel cap filler gasket fail apart.
No problem with paint on the tank, did not make a single mark.Much better than using nitromore paint stripper.Also no need to flush the tank.
Wear gloves and goggles when using.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Tony

Re: Petseal Removal. May Help you

I have been banging the dichloromethane drum for over a year on various forums but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Its brilliant stuff for petseal removal, but be wary of getting it on paint, it is the basic ingredient of paint stripper.

it'll cleann old paint brushes a treat but in a closed container due to high evaporation rate.

worth while reading up on it on the net though, its throughly nasty stuff, need careful handling,don't breathe the vapours for one thing.

Its also used in the decaffination of tea and coffee

now sit back and wait for lots of alternative more expensive, mostly less effective suggestions.

meanwhile I'll get some more dichloromethane.

I've also posted on this subject several times as I have so far done four tanks. (3 successfully and 1 I had to respray). I bought the solvent from Autocycle engineering and overnight turns your Petseal to bran flakes. I then flushed it out with a hose pipe. I don't know what the chemicle name for the stuff is but it works tremendously well.......Apart from the one time I used bubble wrap instead of newspaper to protect my paintwork. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

all auto-cycle do is buy in bulk and sell it on at premium.

As he said 6 quid a half litre, even cheaper in bulk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dichloromethane-99-5-Pure-500ml-/140574254717?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item20bae0e67d

It is supposed to be highly carcogeninic, so important to take much care indeed. It evaporates rapidly.

Do it outside, plastic apron, rubber gloves etc.

Anything left over give to next doors cat.

[joke]

Nieuwe pagina 1