Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tell me about these gloves..

Bought these today from a local ad, described as WW2 Dispatch Rider gloves. The seller said they were from an old veteran's estate, stored many years. Look as new, unworn, slightly musty smell. They look OK, but I doubt they are really that old, no military markings , snaps are Newey and have Oakleaf English Make on the top of the snaps (plastic snap cover) Nice gloves, I happily paid $60 Cdn which would be about 40 GBP, about what similar worn out ones sell for on e-bay, or similar modern gloves.
What should I use to treat, preserve them so I can use them? Comments, suggestions?

email (option): vinver-at-ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Tell me about these gloves..

I used to use Dubbin on my old leather jackets in the sixties. It was used to polish (1960's) football boots and saddles for horses.

All of the DR gauntlets I've seen are not fur lined or sheep Skin. They are normally plain split skin or hog skin and stamped inside with date and size etc. AM gauntlets are also usually stamped. I'd say these are a civilian product. Nice though, I just bought a newly made pair just like them. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

minl oil will soften and to some extent waterproof them.

try a stableware supplier who will have lots of choice, but on no account use Neatsfoot oil it will rot the stitches hgas i have found ouut to my cost.

as to date they are certainly not wartime issue.
nice gloves though, just dont put them on after roadside maintenance.

Neatsfoot oil will soften them up and is the best thing to use I have found...Nice gloves and they look the part..
The 'DR' type gloves were still used until recently in the armed forces (and maybe still are)...I had two brand new pairs given to me by a friend in the Royal Navy. (well unissued, they were 80s dated)..Gun loaders use(d) them I believe...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Either of these are good products that preserve, waterproof, don't seriously change the original colour or rot the stitching.

http://www.flexalan.com/

Ko-Cho-Line - get it on ebay.

Hi,
Even if you can still get it do not use dubbin - this will rot the stitches. Any modern leather treatment product is much better.
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1