Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Service Dress question....

I guess the 1922 pattern Service Dress jacket had completely replaced the 1902 pattern by the outbreak of WW2...but does anyone know if the two ran concurrently and if so for how long.?
Early WW2 pictures frequently show this style of jacket in use (probably the 22 pattern which was 'cut' a little longer I believe)...
Does anyone have any knowledge relating to the use of SD in the early part of the war, in particular, the pattern used?. I've seen pictures taken in early 1941 where it was still being worn. When was it fully superseded by later Battledress?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Service Dress question....

Well I've done a bit more research and it seems SD was never fully replaced, going through various versions between 1902 and 1945 after which it was officially 'reintroduced'!...Obviously though, it was not in general use after the widespread take up of 'Battledress'....
Anymore info. relevant to WW2 SD use and dates appreciated...Ian

If you're talking 'other ranks' then senior Warrant Officers retained a version of SD used when away from the front and so did the Corps of Military Police. Wasn't there even an 'economy' version for them ?

I can't remember seeing photos of SD in general use after early 1941.

Are you going to give it a go ? Do you still have the calves for puttees ?

It actully strikes me as a far more suitable motorcycle jacket than BD.

Hi Rik..I've got an answer to the puttees...Ian photo ISDTNorton.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1