Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bolt action Enfield

John,, depending on condition Expect to pay £two to three GBP for a 2001 deact, Not worth a light without a deact cert , so make sure it has one, and it matches the deact mark on rifle,Good luck, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

at a recent auction ( jan ) an mk4 enfield early spec deac with no accessories made £225 ...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

I got a good condition Mk4 no 1 with sling and breech cover for £325 post free. It seemed a good price from dealers. I went on http://www.mydeactivatedguns.co.uk/shops.php to compare prices. They also list companies that sell inert (unfired) rounds to go with your gun.

Wow, it costs more for de-activated rifle over there than a working one over here.

True Sam. A Canadian chap purchased a 'Smoke Grenade Launcher' from somewhere in Pennsylvania for my Universal Carrier. He mater of factly offered to send me a working 303 action to go with it????????.......Like I want to go to prison
Ron

photo Carrier010_zps9af75155.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Looks terrific Ron! What's the going rate for a good old spec deactivated Bren nowadays?

Gawd knows Bill. I've had my MK1 for a long time and haven't kept up with values? Ron

Thats interesting Ron, I once spoke to a gun dealer in Pennsylvania who had some of those launcher cups for sale, they came with what appeared to be a brass motorcycle valve lifter lever and cable which hooked up to the trigger so the thing could be mounted outside the carrier and fired from inside. The cut off action in Canada was I was told "In a gray area" Not really a problem here in Maine.

Ron Pier
Gawd knows Bill. I've had my MK1 for a long time and haven't kept up with values? Ron

MK1s seem to go for about £425 and MK2s seem to be about £350 I got given a MK2 for making a set of handlebars for a chopper which in real terms was about £60 worth of work

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

That must be the same place Sam! The launcher you refer to with the trigger and cable is for the MK1 carrier. Mine is a MK2 (Canadian). The location for the launcher is inside. In fact there are a host of differences between the MK1's -2's.

Dave I noticed a glut of MK2 Brens in their box's some years ago at W&P. I think they came from SA or somewhere and all the dealers were trying to underprice each other at down to about £150. I don't know what the situation is nowadays. Ron

It seems that although cheaper, the MK2s are actually in short supply you rarely see them anymore, nearly all the ones on milweb are MK1s . It appears that after the initial glut of the ones you mentioned was taken up there have been no more to replace them, maybe India is giving up their MK1s more gradually?

I've got a tool roll and Magazine box for a Bren, so it would be nice to get one to go with them? The only problem then is that once I've got the Bren, I'll need a Carrier like Rons to go with it!

Bill you could just settle for a Norton Big 4 outfit. Ron

Jumping on the back of this, I've got a few Bren magazines, I heard that the Mk1's are worth a few quid - how do you tell, but if anyone needs some I'm happy to part with a couple..just email me.

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Now there's a thought! I like the way you think Ron.

Kit I'm probably wrong. But I wasn't aware of any real differences in the mags I thought 303 Bren mags fitted any MK of gun. Some Brens might have been re calibered to 7.62mm however. Ron

No its true Mk1 Bren mag's are rare and apparently allegedly supposedly worth £150 each, someone tried to explain the difference to me but it went in one ear and out of the other.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

If you are thinking of buying a deact for
using on a vehicle or as part of a re-enactment group, then buy it as soon as possible. Because of the new style of deactivation (every moving part is welded up, so no field stripping, inert ammo loading/cycling etc.) creating wallhangers, anything with an old style deactivation is increasing in value as stocks are depleted. As an example, you can purchase a Chinese built AK47 with new deact style for around £150-200, whereas an old style is now anywhere from £450-600. I can't understand why we need to be treated like children, it's probably easier to buy a gun than to reactivate a deact.....

My thoughts entirely, if you have the skills to re-activate a gun, you would find it easier to make one!

When I went looking for a deativated Lee Enfield I had a particular one in mind to match the M20.

Rob

photo lee1_zps84c62fba.jpg

photo lee2_zps0e5aa65b.jpg

Update on the LE Enfield, It went for £500 but the buyer had to pay 15% auction fee plus 20%VAT so the buyer had to pay about £690 in total, too much on my pension.

TTJohn

thats far too much,andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

It must have been a really good one!!

It would have been cheaper to buy one from a dealer....

I have about 16 Enfields in my collection. All work as I am on this side of the pond. I just found a WWI Enfield that was converted during WWII into a .22 for training. I have been looking for over 20 years for a nice one, and found this one just down the road from where I live. I also have the enfield that was converted over to fire the 410 shotgun shells.
The Enfield is a very nice rifle.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

At school we had a few converted to shoot .22, a long time ago down the ranges I knew of a mate who had a Bren that fired shot gun shells semi auto. Used to really enjoy firing a Bren. Sten guns were all over the place, 9mm Browning was fun and the Enfields were great weapon, we had several, but were getting tired, the accurate ones were lovley. My favorite was the British SLR. Still, a long time ago now as the gun laws in the UK are very tight. In many ways I'm glad they still are as clearly only very few people should have access to these. I'd quite like to have some select deacats..

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Rob Miller
When I went looking for a deativated Lee Enfield I had a particular one in mind to match the M20.

Rob

photo lee1_zps84c62fba.jpg

photo lee2_zps0e5aa65b.jpg

Hi Rob,
Interested in some close ups of the bracketry for carrying a rifle on the bike. Looks like you have one made? Can you post more photos? Thanks.

Go into smiths and buy this months gun mart the back half is full of dealers .A word of warning in my opinion they are not worth the trouble of taking to shows you cannot leave them for a second .And you will get locked up if you take one abroad ie france holland .

Vincent V

Hi Rob,
Interested in some close ups of the bracketry for carrying a rifle on the bike. Looks like you have one made? Can you post more photos? Thanks.

There are some pictures on this earlier thread.

Rob.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1241258&cmd=show

I feel sorry for you chaps over there. I build a 1918 BSA No.1 MkIII up from an action I got at an estate sale. Paid $10.00 for it, barrel bore like a mirror! Matching bolt too.

I have about 15 Enfields from Savage (US PROPERTY marked), to a long Branch.

Bad thing is, the Mil Surp ammo has dried up.

I'm actually looking for a 1944 BSA for my bike.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb, I guess we're still lucky in Canada too, seems like it used to be a right of passage for every man to own an Enfield 303, still lots of sporterized ones around but prices seem to be climbing rapidly. Here's my No 4 Mk 1 M47C (BSA)Shirley ) that I restored from a sporter. Now has full stock and well bedded, I also have a Long Branch and a US Property 1942 Savage No 4 Mk 1 (NOT the 1*- it is a very early 1C series!) waiting re-stocking to military spec! Still a bit of MilSurp ammo around, I bought 144 Rounds Ball ammo at the last local gun show, all in sealed boxes, dated 1943 and 1944!!

It started as a sporterized one like almost every grandfather has in his basement, too bad that generation isn't passing them on to the next, so many being turned in to police at every gun "amnesty". Last local one the Police held attracted quite a bit of attention when a FULLY active Bren was turned in. Current regs in Canada don't allow such restricted firearms to be passed on, you need a "grandfathered" licence which can't be issued anymore, so the guns are slowly disappearing.

Nieuwe pagina 1