Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel Alignment Query

The primary drive chain was slack so have adjusted it.

However, the final drive chain seems to go tight then slack when I rotate the rear wheel. The play on the chain varies hugely!

Have I not aligned the wheel correctly?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated as I am going to the Isle of Wight on Friday.

Kind regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Wheel Alignment Query

Hi Pat,

I don't think wheel alignment has much influence on the chaintension but think your problem has to be found in uneven worn sprockets or an uneven worn chain. Or maybe the brakedrum has distorted a bit?

Goodluck, Michiel

I've never owned a bike that didn't have a "tightest point" when trying different positions of the wheel when adjusting the rear chain but if its a worrying amount then some new parts will help as mentioned.
I had a drum once that had gone oval that caused excessive tight/Slack chain but that also showed when applying rear brake.

Even repair manual for (relatively) modern Suzuki I had said that chain tension should be checked at its tightest point or something like this.

Patrick Meagher
The primary drive chain was slack so have adjusted it.

However, the final drive chain seems to go tight then slack when I rotate the rear wheel. The play on the chain varies hugely!

Have I not aligned the wheel correctly?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated as I am going to the Isle of Wight on Friday.

Kind regards

Pat

Are all three "QD" wheel bolts tight?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Good point Rob, but even if they weren't tight, it wouldn't make a difference to the sprocket....Just the wheel would wobble Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If you adjust the primary chain you also have to adjust the rear chain for obvious reasons.

Nieuwe pagina 1