Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
petrol tank M20

hi guys
can you tell me what size thread the petrol tank tap were and the holddown bolts underneath. I just purchased a tank and want to sand blast it ,so i need to plug the holes

Mark

email (option): markbrob1@hotmail.com

Re: petrol tank M20

Hi Mark...The holding down bolts at the back are 5/16 Cycle thread...Do you still have the tap adapters fitted to the tank or have they been removed?..That will determine which thread you have there..If they have been removed the tank thread is 3/8" BSP...If the adapters are still in place they can be threaded either 1/8" BSP (a fine thread)..or 1/4" BSP (coarser)....If you measure the thread on the tap a 1/4" BSP thread is approx. 1/2" outside diameter...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian
The adaptors are not there, so I will asume that there 3/8 bsp,I just needed to Know so I can tap down the thread for a blank, or I can chop them off and re machine a modern thread and weld in place.Also the 720cc piston u sold me ,I took the barell to get rebored and the guy wasnt happy and concered to take nealy 9mm out.
Mark

Tell him it's not his concern and just to do the job...Or if you want to be more polite tell him not to worry, this conversion is up and running on a number of bikes and everything works fine.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

yes i was polite, anyway the adaptor isnt there and it looks like a fine thread,so should i asume 3/8 bspf,and what are the tank knee pads tank thread
mark

The tank grips are 1/4" BSCycl/BSF (it's the same 26tpi) Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

On my tank,
The knee pad rubber screws are 1/4"W..

Noam.

email (option): Noam10@gmail.com

Don't understand that one Noam?