Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Aussie M20s "in theatre"

Aussie M20s, in main street of Giru, North Queensland, Australia, 1942.
Giru is not far south from Townsville which was the major staging area for allied offensive into South Pacific.
Townsville was bombed 3 times by Japanese in July 1942.(fairly light raids by Emily flying boats)My dad was there at the time.
Shop window appears to have its windows taped as a blast precaution.

Giru photo GiruNQ1942_zpsf2da9acf.jpg

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Re: Aussie M20s "in theatre"

Nice photo Neale

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nice foto, thanks.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Im in Townsville I might have parts from some of theses bikes you never know.

Out of pure idle curiosity I had a look at Giru on Google Earth in an attempt to see if I could find out where the picture was taken.

The first problem was trying to find a main road! Not exactly a booming metropolis, is it?

But seriously - I am curious. Anyone have a gridref, or perhaps know the name of the road?

Just idle curiosity.........

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Bruce
Out of pure idle curiosity I had a look at Giru on Google Earth in an attempt to see if I could find out where the picture was taken.

The first problem was trying to find a main road! Not exactly a booming metropolis, is it?

But seriously - I am curious. Anyone have a gridref, or perhaps know the name of the road?

Just idle curiosity.........

Bruce

I just searched for Giru QLD comes up with the coordinates S 19.30.169 E 147.06.19

Cheers

Ron FTLDU

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

My mate lives in Giru he thinks he knows where this pics was taken he is going to get a pic from the same spot. I will keep you posted. He is away on holidays at the moment.

Hi Terry - I'd appreciate that!

Thanks.

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Nieuwe pagina 1