Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battery carrier front info needed

Hi all,

Have a look at this battery carrier front.
Does anyone know whether the nailed connection can be period dated?
Is it even original or not? So far, no date has been found on the inside

IMG_1918
IMG_1919 (1)

Any info is appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Re: Battery carrier front info needed

It was on my 1942 WDM20 when I got it in 1992, so a bit too early to be pattern
PS: do you join us Sunday 7 April for the Don Fife Memorial at Holten? We'll meet at about 11h !
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

PM sent Hans!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

1940 and earlier covers had a loose cross-bar which was not used when the wider Ni-Fe battery was fitted. It was retained simply by the pressure of the clamp. The indented centre section did have the effect of providing lateral location for the Lead-Acid battery.

At some stage, after Lead-Acids had been standardised, the bar became fixed. Rivetting seems expensive and slow as part of a production process that already involved welding. I'd suspect that yours is an earlier one that has been rivetted in place. The question then is whether this was a standard workshop modification.

Sven,

I agree with Rik, seems an early battery carrier that has been rivetted afterwards.
Are there any markings in the bottom front? Have a look at my battery carrier...

photo IMG_2393_zps49ee3b69.jpg

It's stamped "JOSEPH LUCAS LTD - BIRMINGHAM - ENGLAND - MADE IN ENGLAND", has its cross bar loose (like yours) and no date stamps but the bike is dated August 1940.

Also noticed that your bottom part is rivetted (unlike mine) and in fact placed reversed! You should find the above stamp on the inside....

Cheers,

Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Sven
Further to Rick's comments my battery carrier looks identical to Kostas's photos including the writing and I cant see any date stamp. It has not got a cross bar and there are no indications in the paint that it ever had one. My bike came out of the factory in Feb 1942 its fairly original (matching engine and frame numbers and has contract plate – it doesn't look like its ever had much done to it - I have owned it since the mid 60s.
Regards to all.
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

I have had a few battery carriers over the years but non had the writing and no dating as far as I know, might have missed that to be honest as the dating is small and on the inside.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1