Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ebay prices again

Well done to the seller, but all I can say is why is is going for so much...?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230951477524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Ebay prices again

Yes, I saw that as well. But the price has now dropped back, so I guess there must have either been an idiot playing games with him or some other issue. My jaw dropped too when it reached £255+ !

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

It's currently on £46..a lot nearer to the 'correct' price (if there is such a thing)..I still think I could buy one of these for about £65-75 pounds if I wanted another one...right or wrong?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

You can see that the previous highest bidder removed his bid of 2001 pounds and that means that the highest bidder now has a maximum bid of around 250 pounds. Clever trick to see what the maximum bid is of the highest bidder, the seller might make somebody bid 225 pounds in the last seconds and up the price goes.

Beware of bid removals when you are the highest bidder with a high maximum.

Don't ask me how I know.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Ah yes, the same as happened to the BSA gearbox at over £500, then droped to about £90 at the last minute.
The problem also when you get out bid then someone retracts there higher bid is you might have thought you've lost the item so bid on another, only to find you've now won both items.
I see the price has gone back up to £206 so w***n sussed what the next max bid is and bid just under it. This is why I don't ever put a bid on until the end of an auction. All it does is push the price up if you do win it.

I do my bidding in the last 7 seconds and usually with a sniper bid.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Sniper bidding has always worked with me and stops all the crazyness, if you put in snipper what your happy to pay, then if you win it's a result and if you don't then I can never look back and will just look elsewhere.

I do look at bid activity of the winning bid when I shipe an item and anytyhing above 20% activity with that seller then you have to be suspicious of shill bidding.

Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

I put in a low bid and then make what I am prepared to pay my maximum bid...Then I just leave it to run, win or lose..That stops me having a 'red mist' attack and over bidding beyond what I really think it's worth..If someone outbids me, even by a pound, that's more than the maximum I wanted to pay anyway....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

First rule of auctions ;_ Never bid on an item that you desparately need.

Like Ian, a small bid to start with then auto cid up to what I think the item is worth then walk away and nevr go back till after the auction is over.

Thus all you will ever buy will be a bargan.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I see that the person who was winning this helmet retracted there bid as well, maybe as a result of this thread. Meaning that the one who deliberately pushed it up ended up winning it.

Aha.......

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/World-War-2-British-Dispatch-Riders-Helmet-BMB-1945-Size-7-New-BSA-M20-Norton-/370791558586?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item5654e62dba

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I think this proves the fact the seller was bidding on his own item...
Buyer beware..!

Hi All,
I was not bidding on my own item.
The problem occured beacuse of the idiot who put in a £2010.00 bid then at a very late point removed his bid and re put in the £201 he claimed he meant to put in the 1st place. This of course rather upset the then high bidder (for obvious reasons) so he removed his bids. Then, when original idiot found he had won the item obviously decided he had paid way over the odds for it and claimed all sorts of foul play so rather than get into a punch up I blocked him and re-listed the helmet.
I thought I would comment on this as I am an honest person and do not like peaple casting nasturtiums, geraniums or any other floral attack on mygood character.
Regards
Clive Andrews

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Didn't we come to the conclusion with the earlier expensive parts that there seems to be more of a problem with buyers cohorting to scare off the competition then pulling the high bids in the hope of picking something up cheaply ?

I believe I mentioned before that GWF have banned all discussion of items for sale and auctions as it too often leads to problems. It's a shame but this example shows how easy it is to get the wrong end of the stick.

I don't really understand why eBay allow bids to be pulled with so little explanation. They talk about a legal contract but presumably it's not enforceable ?

Hi Rik,
It is 'enforcable' if you take them to court.
But nobody is going to bother and as in this case the high bidder was in Oz it was all a complete waste of time - as indeed this person was.
Regards
Clive

Clive, I'm trying to compare the eBay procedure with a 'proper' auction. In that case, surely any action against a registered non-paying bidder would be the responsibility of the auctioneer, not of the seller of the items.

It should be eBay who strips them them of 'feedback' and bans them if there is evidence of cheating.

Mind you, it's difficult with Australians. They've already been transported and if that hasn't taught them a lesson...

Had a idiot once who won a 53/AJS18s I had on ebay,only to email back next day to say his wife hit the roof so he could`nt buy it [no balls].This can make the next highest bidder suspect to the bidding and refuse to buy it,luckly this did`nt happen as I spoke to him on the phone before the bidding ended and said I had my doubt`s about the highest bidder as he had`nt phoned to ask anything about the bike

Sometimes you just have to suck it upand put it down to experience, but I did want to put my side of the tale of woe!
Regards
Clive

Rik
Clive, I'm trying to compare the eBay procedure with a 'proper' auction. In that case, surely any action against a registered non-paying bidder would be the responsibility of the auctioneer, not of the seller of the items.

It should be eBay who strips them them of 'feedback' and bans them if there is evidence of cheating.

Mind you, it's difficult with Australians. They've already been transported and if that hasn't taught them a lesson...

Rik I must remind you that it was the POMS that were transported to Australia not Australians

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Apologies Clive, for coming to that conclusion and sorry you've having troubles with ebay buyers. There are so many scams on ebay and it's good that some of them have been highlighted on this forum.

The BSA gearbox auction is still the best (worst), but that was 2 buyers bumping up the auction to over £500, then retracting there bids so it sold for about £90. There history of bid retractions showed this was a regular thing. Everyone who was interested gave up when it reached silly money, so there was no more bidders interested when the auction ended.

If you bid early on an item you are open to abuse. It isn't unusual for buyers to get a friend to bid a very high amount after, just to see what the max bid is, then retract the bid and bid just under it. It's best to bid as late as possible with the max amount you'll pay for that item. Then you don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy and pay too much.
It really is "Buyer Beware"

i thought you couldnt retract your bid once made

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Yes you can, as long as it's 12 hours before the auction ends I think.

It really is also seller beware.
I sell my excess parts /spares on ebay (cant use them all and need the space /money for other projects)and I like Clive have had a few listings wrecked by bidders.I now check feedback for all my bidders and if I dont like the look of there past history I cancel their bids and block them regardless of the amount they have bid.I have had international buyers fill in their own p&p costs on my invoices as they think its what it should cost.Also idiots threatining bad feedback for a better deal when they know the total cost before they buy.Buyers who dont know what they have want and buy the wrong part then blame me for their stupidity.I would prefer not to sell on ebay but cant be bothered to haul all my hoard around autojumbles anymore just to have it nicked . Dave

The trouble is you can't leave negative feedback for buyers any more so all of them have 100%

Nieuwe pagina 1