The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can you identify this emblem?

Hi There
I was wondering if anyone out there can identify this emblem

I think it has something to do with 8th Army in Africa (The forum picture reminded me!), possibly gunnery??
Thanks in advance.

Re: Can you identify this emblem?

On the top of my head it's an ATS Anti aircraft unit, have some ATS uniforms with that badge on it.

Here's me, scratching my head which one to undress first!

The badge stands for Antiaircraft Command, or "Ack Ack Command"

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Wow Thanks for that Lex.
I found it among my late Dads stuff!! I wonder how he managed to get hold of it!!
Many thanks, cracking photo!

According to Howard Cole, it relates to Anti-Aircraft Command. Originally HQ only but from 1943 onwards, all formations of ADGB (Air Defence Great Britain).

Ok, but it was not an all female unit, so your dad could have got it from someone else!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Google WW2 Anti Aircraft Command. Images here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ww2+anti+aircraft+command&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK332&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ewBWUaTSAYja0QX8pIDgCg&ved=0CHUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

The ATS girls where issued the famous Teddybear coat for cold nights on the watch.
Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rik
According to Howard Cole, it relates to Anti-Aircraft Command. Originally HQ only but from 1943 onwards, all formations of ADGB (Air Defence Great Britain).

Thanks for looking this up for me,Rik I knew my Dad was a gunner in the Eighth Army in North Africa but didn't know it was Anti Aircraft.
Regards
Keith H

You're welcome Keith. My reference books are never far out of reach.

Have you thought about applying for your father's service records ? These days, they copy the documents and there is a wealth of information regarding postings etc. It's best done by next of kin.

As I understand it, this badge was only used by units in the UK, not in North Africa. Did he go on to Italy or back to the UK ?

The patch could well have come from a friend in the ATS.

my father was in the home guard on anti aircraft guns during ww2 it was in bromley kent would he have worn this badge thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks Rik
He went through Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and on to Palestine. I don't want to research any history at this time but thanks anyway.

Nieuwe pagina 1