Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I really don't understand anymore....

A NOS Dunlop tyre pump, with it's box but listed as non functional, has just finished on e bay at a tad over £135..Why?.....'Je ne comprend pas'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: I really don't understand anymore....

A smiths speedo 225 pounds tonight not working

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

hi,or a messershmiitt bubble car (if thats how you spell it)
221205102694 i could have had one of these for £25.00 thirty years ago,mind boggles. on the other hand you can have a Fordson V8 fire-engine for about the same dollar 190811650652 or for the really discerning collector of fire
trucks a project, 251244174067
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

How about a pair of boots, listed as WW2 but not actually available until 1959 , for $7299. US?

And who in their right mind would offer this for auction? 281084781234
A little worn but would clean up OK?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

...Very good Matty...You should try to find the matching chain...that's probably listed somewhere...'some slack but can be adjusted'... ...Ian

Has anyone tried to buy a pair of goggles on ebay recently! They used to be a couple of quid for a nice pair of WW2 goggles, but now the sky's the limit. If you don't believe me, have a look at these post war ones! 290876544689 The box can't add that much value can it?!?!

As Sven said on another posting..anyone can ask any price for a given item. What amazes me are that many of these things are finding buyers...I think some form of collective madness is in effect when it comes to original parts..Does it really matter that much? Before the term 'classic bike' was thought of an obsession with total originality wasn't a factor...quite the reverse in fact.
I think the behaviour displayed by some buyers and their obsession with what is neccessary to make their bike 'correct' clearly indicates what an old bike has come to represent in many peoples minds...and sadly it's a gross distortion of the original concept which was something to ride and enjoy..not a 'sacred cow' to obsess over...At the end of the day the fact you have a different tyre inflator, stainless fasteners or a few other 'faults' doesn't matter a jot as long as the bike looks reasonable and amazingly, it has no effect on the handling, braking or performance...
Of course my view is a personal one and it would seem these days, also a minority one...
I believe people should think again and stop worrying about every little detail and the value of their 'investment'...it really isn't healthy behaviour...Ian

And how long if not already is it before bits get nicked ie pumps speedos headlight glass blackout masks petrol caps all easy pickings but expensive to replace.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Someone tried to pinch my webbing grips when I left the bike outside a cemetery in Normandy...They were firmly glued on though, so they only succeeded in getting the brass fittings off the outer ends...It was very irritating but not a disaster..In fact it was a compliment, as the pattern grips and fittings I had made obviously looked like originals.. ...I soon turned up some new ends when I got home....
Th last time I made Triumph damper knobs I sold one to a guy who had had his pinched at the lunch stop on a VMCC run..He wasn't happy but he had learnt the lesson I soon learned when I started jumbling (and had stock pinched)..This scene isn't exclusively full of 'good old boys' motorcycle enthusiasts....To be honest I'm surprised the type of thefts you highlighted aren't a lot more common already....Ian

Yes it is a sad fact that too many folks these days are willing to steal bits. It is quite some years since I first had a pump nicked from my parked bike, at a stop. The really annoying fact was that knew every single rider who was there! A mate of mine took a stall at Stafford the year before last and had some rare and desirable old Norton stuff on it. Before the show opened word went round that there was somjeone with a stall of desirables and a whole load of 'dealers' descended on him form all directions. Whilst some of them paid, a lot of items vanished in the 'orchestrated distraction' (his words) that some of 'the scum' (his words)indulged in. He reckons it cost him a couple of grand in less than five minutes!

Linking to your other thread Ian - what next- (which I have not re-read recently so maybe you have covered it? how about making brass handlebar end caps?

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

The Isle of Man goverment/TT organizers are currently selling on ebay TT circuit road signs. The current one that is on ebay at the moment is the Ballaugh Bridge sign at £700.00. They are also going to sell the old 1960's Shell TT quick fillers, it will be interesting to see how much that they sell for, anybody like to hazzard a guess ?

email (option): pat.slinn@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1