Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pillion Seat

I would like to mount a pillion seat on my bike whilst I'm restoring it, but the only ones I can find are as this ebay link:

I've seen web pictures of other M20's with a pillion seat and they seem to have a second mudguard/plate underneath that attaches between the rear mudguard and the the pannier frame, can I get this plate from anywhere or am I okay to mount the standard pillion seat seen on ebay as above, by bolting this straight onto the rear mudguard?

Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Re: Pillion Seat

Hi Julian...The e bay seat is a 'general fitment' civilian pattern one. The WDM20 has a pillion seat particular to the bike...There is only 'one game in town' for a pillion seat......You need to talk to Jan from Belgium (and this forum) who makes top quality replicas of the M20 pillion seat. Originals are now nearly impossible to find. If you do a search for Jan on the forum search function you'll get him.
You need the late pattern 'short' pillion seat for your bike....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Julian...Jans e mail.. wd.register@gmail.com ...Ian

Hi Julian,

Try to contact the seller of these original items on E-Bay;

You might even have some extra parts for trade......

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I saw this item Sven, but thought it was allot just for the seat, as I have the rest.
Thanks for Jan's contact details, will see if he can help.

Julian

I don't think that was the right seat anyway..it looks like the earlier 'long' type...As you have a late war bike you need the late pattern 'short' seat...Ian

Jan has posted the pillion seat earlier today, but I've since found a problem with my pannier rack and Jan is sending the replacement tube and lugs to fabricate onto my existing rack, off to the shot blasters again to strip all the green off, fab and re-paint.
Some muppit must of cut the pillion seat tube and lugs off for some reason, just can't figure out why?

photo P1030072_zpsb4fc7c92.jpg

All I can say is that my kids better appreciate it as they want to do the hoggin the bridge in October and it's my middle daughters turn to go pillion this year.
I just hope I can get it running by then??????

Julian

Hi Julian.. I mentioned previously that the M20 has a pillion seat paticular to the model. The reason for that is that most pillion seats mount to the mudguard only, but the M20 seat mounts to the mudguard and the (missing on your bike) 'arch and brackets' that are part of the rear carrier...
As the front and rear mounting points for the seat are at different hieghts the seat frame is designed to accomodate this, yet still be level when fitted.
Conversely, if the wrong seat is used it will lie at an angle when fitted.
In the past, in the absence of the correct seat, it was not uncommon for the arch to be cut out of the rear carrier to allow a 'conventional' pillion seat to be mounted to the mudguard....Ian

Thanks Ian,

I was looking at these after market pillion seats and wondering the mounting arrangement and assumed they bolted direct to the mudguard, which is why I asked the questions as the mudguard isn't that strong in my opinion to take the full weight of a body, not sure why their sold as BSA M20 pillion seats. Just a little strange that if someone had cut the tube off to fit one of these conventional pillion seats then why aren't there any mounting holes at the back end where I assume it should of been attached?

When Jan sent me photos of the correct pillion seat arrangement I was a bit mythed how it mounted, considering the arrangemnt of the pannier rack I have. There must of been the correct pillion seat fitted at some point as I have the two holes already drilled in the rear mudguard to fit the nose of the saddle which were blanked with nuts and bolts prior.

At least when I get it finished it should be correct and back to how it probably was originally.

Julian

Nieuwe pagina 1