Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Voltage regulator & rear stand spring

Hello Gentlemen,

After searching the world without success for a Lucas MC1 voltage regulator for my BSA M20, I have purchased a "simular" device from Ebay. I have now come to make a wiring harness and need to know the following. The new regulator has terminals marked A O L, a genuine MCI has terminals marked F A D. can somebody please tell me what A O L is in relation to F A D.

Also. I also purchased a rear stand spring from a reputable parts supplier, I am finding it almost impossible to fit this spring, it is very strong, are their any tricks to fitting it ?

email (option): pat.slinn@btinternet.com

Re: Voltage regulator & rear stand spring

Pat I'm not sure what this regulator is you have acquired. An MCR1 should have FADE on it. Field. Ammeter. Dynamo. Earth. (F&D are on the dynamo).
The rear stand springs are almost impossible to fit without some sort of stretching tool. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A while back, there was an idea on this forum for putting the Matchless rear stand spring on by pushing coins into each of the links until the spring is long enough to fit over the pegs. I don't know if this works on the BSA one, but it certainly did the trick on the Matchless one. Don't forget to take the coins out later!

Regarding the spring: I've always had luck with the penny in the spring method. You take your spring and put it in a vise, and bend the coil over with a pair of channel locks, and put a penny or washer in it. Keep doing this until you have the spring extended long enough to go over the mounting pins. Put the spring on the bike, and pull the pennies out with a pair of vise grips. Voila!

It never worked for me on an M20 spring. I rather borrow Ian's expanding tool.
I think Henk has shown pictures of his home made stretching devise. Ron

Two foot of hard wire with a hook on one end and a loop on the other,
Slip a socket extension through the loop, put the spring on the anchor on the frame and the "tool" in the loop that goes onto the stand. Sit behind the bike, both feet against the rear stand, lean back and the spring will just about jump on.

The trick is to cut the wire just long enough that you are leaning slightly forward so you can get a full back of pull on the spring.

I use a similar tool for putting the deck springs on ride on lawn mowers and some of them are huge.

As for the regulator you are quite mad.
The go is to buy a DVR solid state unit which will fit inside the old regulator case and actually work, faultlessly forever.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

i did roughly the same as trevor but i used a bit of binder twine used by farmers to bale hay (its very strong) just made a loop one end on the spring the other wound round some square bar to take up the slack and use the tyre as the fulcrum worked well

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I asked John Budgen once, How does he fit the Ariel stand springs? He said "It's easy! I give it to Big Dave and leave the building"
Big Dave's method is to use a big greased screwdriver and use the lug on the stand as the fulcrum. It also worked for me at that time.....But bloody frightening!! Ron

I don't know if it will work on an M20, but on my 16H I used a screwdriver with tape wrapped around so it didn't slip and scratch all the paint off, used as shown in the picture. I had a mate hold the spring to stop it slipping off. A bit of tape was left under the spring, but this soon came out with use.

photo 16Hstandspring.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Rear stand spring

Hi, here is how I solved it mixing the tips of Henk and Hans

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/Lukuni11/BSA%20WM20/12122012813_zpsed42f382.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/Lukuni11/BSA%20WM20/12122012814_zps94599467.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b599/Lukuni11/BSA%20WM20/12122012816_zps120c1e77.jpg

Hope it can be of help.

email (option): drossi54@hotmail.it

Re: Rear stand spring

Yes, this is a variation of the tools Henk and I used to solve this problem See Technical Info on the Website
No more struggling with pennies/€cents/$dimes...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Nieuwe pagina 1