Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield

Looking over a RE with number M22180 on frame. No engine nor gearbox.

Wanted to find out how to tell whether it is a WWII model. Has girder and pillion seat. Photobucket down so can't send photo for now. Paint scheme is OD flat.

Thanks for your comments as always.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Royal Enfield

The last military Flea (#11129) left the Enfield factory on November 1st 1945. #22180 is definitely post war.

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

When Henri says RE. Does he just mean Royal Enfield? My own WD/CO is frame number M18659 from RAF contract S14219. Henri's frame would come from the next contract S1546. Some of these frames seem to be prefixed with 'M'. Perhaps Jan can remind us about that. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have two WD/CO frames beginning M23xxx which are both C/1546 - November 44 contract - Jan can confirm.

Pretty sure that an "M" prefix indicates a WD machine.......

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

RE correct Royal Enfield, It is being sold in France for 1,500 Euros.

Errare humanum est...

Of course, Henri wasn't referring to a WD/RE... Indeed, from August 1943 onwards (last motorcycles from contract C/13870, last motorcycles from contract C/S14219, “all” C/12425, S/1546 and S/3357 motorcycles, with some exceptions...) a letter “M” prefix was used for the WD/CO frame numbers.

I can tell you that 22180 is a contract S/1546 number, from October 1944. As so many bikes from this contract, it was probably never used by the British Army, but after the war it went to France, to be used in the French Army until the 1950's.

The headlamp on this one is a local (French) unit, the rest of the bike looks quite original. But you will of course need an engine and a gearbox... (easy to find...).

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

photo RoyalEnfield350WDCO1_zpscbf206f5.jpg photo RoyalEnfield350WDCO5_zps1818e6e6.jpg photo RoyalEnfield350WDCO4_zpsf213502a.jpg photo RoyalEnfield350WDCO6_zpsead959f0.jpg photo RoyalEnfield350WDCO10_zpsc3c76686.jpg

Wow Henri - looks good!

As Jan says, engines and gearboxes are plentiful. So slot them in, wipe her over with an oily rag, pump the tyres and off you go! Fifteen minute job!

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Think I will drive the 928 instead and tear up the road!

Nieuwe pagina 1