Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Solid Head Gasket

Dear All,
I hope some of you enjoyed the rather fine biking weather yesterday. I certainly did and the old girl went like a train - until the head gasket went!
Actually evebn then after a quick and careful tighten up of the bolts and a bump start off we went - we just had rather a funny noise going up hill! Ian was absolutely right (wright?) as usual, those 'sandwich' composite gaskets don't last even with care of the head bolts. I now have 2 questions:
1. Where can I get a solid copper head gasket as recommended?
2. Should I get the head skimmed? (there was 10 minutes of driving after it blew so I'm not surte if will have warped or not - thtere was no oil leakage or indication of excessive distortion)
I look forward to you're learned responses...
Kimble

email (option): kimble.west@bridgezoneltd.co.uk

Re: Solid Head Gasket

Hi Kimble

TTJohn had some made, don't know if he has any left? use the search box at the top of the page and you should find his thread.

As to the head skimming, I've blown several head gaskets in the past without distorting the head.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Kimble I have found that those modern composite gaskets can need re-tightening up to five times before they are completely compressed and should be done over very short periods of riding or best just getting the engine hot and allow to go cold. I usually do it over 3-4 days before serious riding. Better by far to use a solid gasket which usually only requires one re-tighten. If TT John has sold out? You can get one quite cheaply from Lani in US http://coppergaskets.us/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Kimble.

I still have solid copper gaskets, I'll drop you an e-mail

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hi Kimble...Check the barrel and head with a straight edge to ensure they are flat. As Rob says they are not particularly prone to warping...A jig is needed to hold the head for skimming so keep your fingers crossed it's flat.(I have the jig if required). Anneal the gasket before fitting to soften it. Heat to a dull red and quench immediately in cold water...No gasket sealant is required. Torque down to 28-30 ft.lbs. following the tightening sequence outlined in the factory worksheets.(also in the Technical Section' of the website)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Guys,
Great advice as always. TTJohn got straight back to me and the new gasket is in the post. Ron I think that's where I could've been a little more diligent - I retightened the bolts only once.
Thanks Ian I'll get my trusty engineers ruler out and check the top with a bright light on the other side.
Should all be done & settled in way before the Easter break when I'll go for a bit of a tour. Anything happening in the SW over Easter?
K

Use grease lightly smeared on both sides of the gasket as well (composite or solid) instead of red hermetite or whatever, I swear by it, never had a prob touch wood.

I've just fitted a solid gasket on mine after I brought a gasket kit and wasn't at all impressed with the quality of the composite version, they really are like chalk and cheese, as Keith advised, used a little grease top and bottom and it should seat perfectly. I have cylinder heads skimmed at my works but I have to say that the quality of these cast Iron heads is impecable and nothing like the modern Ali heads on modern bikes, it would take allot to warp one of these.
 photo P1020430_zpsf2d0daae.jpg

Enjoy your new gasket and good luck.

Julian

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

After having blown several composite ones, solid head gaskets are the way to go, also an idea to use hi-tensile washers, which do not distort over time, under the head bolts.

Thanks Chaps.
I must say I hate using any type of "sealant/gunk" especially on a head gasket but I will bow to greater wisdom and use a touch of grease if you think that's wise.
Solid head gaskets all the way from now then!
K

I always fit mine dry but used to grease them...Either way works equally well in my experience....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I also bought gaskets from TTJohn.

Great communication, fast delivery, top quality !

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1