Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WDM20 petrol taps, one a reserve?

Hi, trying to ascertain if one of the petrol taps on the WDM20 should be a reserve tap with a short tube in the tank or are they both standard taps?
John

Re: WDM20 petrol taps, one a reserve?

Hi John.
Reserve tap on the left as you sit on the bike.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

I always thought either tap could be your reserve, with some fuel trapped on one side of the tunnel? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi John..Civvy M20s had only one tap and a pipe underneath the tank to join the two halves together. This set up is a real pain if you have to remove the tank as first you have to drain it of fuel and then remove the joining pipe...which is still full of fuel...it's messy.
The military specified twin taps and no joining pipe for the WDM20..Whether that was to aid removal of the tank or to provide a reserve is, I think, debatable. Personally I think it's the former....Of course once you have the twin taps you have the option of a reserve...even if that wasn't the intention...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

On old bike`s if I am replacing the taps,I only use two standard one`s, no reserve,the thinking behind this is less space for water etc to build up,when riding I have both tap`s on.If I run out of petrol my problem the bike still does the same distance

I do the same Jeff, but I think you mean you have 2 reserve taps, as the "normal" one has the pipe in it. The reserve goes all the way down to the tank.
I have to remember this when ordering petrol taps

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Correct Horror, two reserve tap`s, to early in the morning

Thanks for the replies, I knew the forum members would know.
Best regards
John

Jeff Dennis
On old bike`s if I am replacing the taps,I only use two standard one`s, no reserve,the thinking behind this is less space for water etc to build up,when riding I have both tap`s on.If I run out of petrol my problem the bike still does the same distance

Fine in the old dart, but it can be a very long way between servos down here.
Which remind me of a funny one.
Shane & I were riding back from the 5th BSA National in Torquay Victoria as we had picked up a shaping machine down there & two non runners which took up all of the space in the van.
Shane was on the A65F with it's original 2 & 1/2 tea cup US tank & My M20 wears an Empire Star 4 gallon tank.
We both filled up at the same place and having miscalculated the distance he went onto reserve about 2 km earlier than I had to.
He got to the next fuel stop. i ran out of fuel 1 & 1/2 km before the stop.
So much for reserve taps.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I am a Aussie,at least you did`nt have to far to go

Nieuwe pagina 1