Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who the hell builds this crap

Here you go another one ebay item no 140930093397 just when you thought you couldnt beat the raleigh wisp combo this thing turns up apparently its a 1909 bristol estimated value £1500 seems a lot for a 50s bicycle frame, atco lawn mower tank and a nice bradbury engine,SR1 magneto.. how the hell would you control it no clutch no brakes death on wheels.

Re: Who the hell builds this crap

I emailed this bloke and told him in my opinion he should describe his...err...device...a bit more honestly and that he must be having a laugh. I suggest anyone who looks at it does the same...These people are just chancers deliberately misleading people either by misdescription or omission... ..and whoever thinks it is a 1909 Bristol and that it is 'quite rare' (if it isn't one of his mates trying to make it sound authentic) must be on day release from a mental home..(in fact all the questions seem a bit fake to me)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'll have to check my big book of motorcycles...I'm not sure 'Bristol' even existed as a manufacturer...Ian

That chain sprocket sticking out next to the footpeg looks a worry

I don't know about a 'Bristol'. More of a 'Knowle West' - Everything's been pinched from somewhere else....

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Bristol made small crawler tractors. looks like its got two front wheels i can't see a rear wheel cog. This thing is what gives e bay a bad name.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

There is no record of Bristol Motorcycles I can find.(not that they would have produced this anyway...or anything like it even if they did exist..)..So the 'information' given by the helpful contributor was probably made up to give it a degree of 'independent' authenticity along with the 'In my opinion it's worth £1500 as it stands'..Oh yes..I see that now....Ian

The spelling mistakes are pretty consistent all the way through. It's an interesting technique as by posting the comments, he can perhaps avoid liability for mis-representation but the impression is clearly being given that it's something with a history.

As an aside, I saw recently that the 'Great War Forum' has now banned any discusssion of items for sale on eBay or anywhere else as they are concerned about legal action from sellers if member's comments cause a lost or reduced sale. This seems to me to be in complete contradiction with the principles of the internet as a free and open resource.

My feeling is that if one posts an item for sale on the net then it must be in the awareness that there can be comment, favourable or otherwise.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

I've got two Blackburne engines just like this one at the back of my workshop. The BSA bicycle sprocket should actually be a big external cast flywheel. I may be wrong, but I think they were used as industrial engines on cement mixers and that sort of thing? Perhaps I should get hold of a couple of old bicycles and some lawn mower petrol tanks and knock up a pair of Bristols over the weekend!! You can't beat a nice pair of Bristols

I may be daft but with that gear ratio, there is a small sprocket on the back, and the engine turning 500 RPM it would be a 100 MPH sprinter.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Stephen .. if you count the spokes in the wheels you will see 40 rear & 32 front so they are correct front & rear old bicycle wheels.
Its painful for us to see this kind of crap being passed off as a motorcycle isn't it.

Ian Wright
I emailed this bloke and told him in my opinion he should describe his...err...device...a bit more honestly and that he must be having a laugh. I suggest anyone who looks at it does the same...These people are just chancers deliberately misleading people either by misdescription or omission... ..and whoever thinks it is a 1909 Bristol and that it is 'quite rare' (if it isn't one of his mates trying to make it sound authentic) must be on day release from a mental home..(in fact all the questions seem a bit fake to me)...Ian

Clearly the engine is a Blackburn lawn Mower type (Ransomes ?)dating would be problematic but the Lucas SR1 industrial engine magneto should give a clue I note he has changed the description taking out the date but it is still misleading I too have Emailed suggesting he remove the item unless he can accurately date and describe it.

The health and safety issues are immense just fancy someone slipped a chain on this and set off down the road with the current gearing no clutch or brakes.

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

hi,check out his feedback,seems he has an endless supply of Marks and Sparks
and other high street gift vouchers for sale.also he is the worlds leading supplier of steam engines and related equipment.i have asked the (probably the worlds best)authority on mopeds and cycle motors for his opinion,hopefully i will post his reply.i think he is the same guy as before with that Raleigh wisp rare vintage special built custom childs BSA.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Have you looked at the one bad feedback this seller has?!?!

At least it won't need a MOT don't think anyone will be taken in by this joker, as Bill says look at his neg feedback and his reply.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Hi,i had a reply from the moped /auto-cycle man,

Obviously someone has built up an old engine into a non-original frame using cycle parts from different eras as a display item.
A barn find is something stored for years in original condition, not this type of crap.
I do not provide an ebay valuation service. The bidding will determine the value.
A rip-off is where something is misrepresented, not where it is over-priced. Rolls Royces are always over-priced, does that make them a rip-off?
It's easy to see what this is, it won't fool anyone. Genuine original items make highest prices.
I find that final auction price usually buys this sort of thing for less money than the amounts publicly discussed for direct purchase in the description.
Doubt if i've told you anything you don't already know .

in reply to Joe Rosson s question,with 28"diameter tyres (26"+1"radially)and
the sprocket arrangement is 52 x 13 = 1:4 ,and your tweeter valve stays closed,
ticking over at 500rpm would give 166.66 mph theoretically.as it has no throttle or clutch you wont be able to rev it,and the clutch wont slip
cheers rick

Surprisingly he replied...'Go Away!'... .....Ian

It's up over £1000 now!!

I reckon Rick is correct in his estimate for the gearing,seems its set up for racing at brooklands.Also was made using blacksmith techniques. Dave

Ian Wright
Surprisingly he replied...'Go Away!'... .....Ian

Told me to get a life

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

Come on then, own up, which one of you bought it? I'll bet it was Ian or Ron?

It wasn't me!...It will probably be back on e bay soon enough if anyone feels they missed out on a bargain...(assuming the bicycle frame doesnt snap before it can be relisted.. )...Ian

Yep can't deny it I just need to get that sprint record before Ian

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Good luck Ron..Most ingenious...I must admit I hadn't really considered a welded up bicycle frame with a tuned Blackburn rotovator engine fitted and no brakes, clutch or gearbox as a possibility...(have you seen the 'Sound Barrier' film?.)..You'd better get in touch with the local bike repair man to see if he has some 120mph rated tyres for a 1950s District Nurse's bicycle... ..Ian

Whoever bought it will need this man..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi,Dave,i didnt realise when i went to youtube that the guy i asked about the
1909 Bristol has a collection of videos of some of his wierd and wonderful
modes of transport to watch.His name is Groovydubber,he sells on ebay once a year
and usually puts 100 various bikes on at once.every bike is researched and its total history explained.he has sold M20s in the past.
heres one to get you there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlkXZ3IjRg&list=UU9QXH6wlWbzuVF7zdqlh7_A
cheers Rick

Nieuwe pagina 1