Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Piston weight?

Can anyone tell me what the weight of a standard M21 piston with pin is?
I have a pattern piston I'd like to compare it with.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Re: Piston weight?

Hi, Matty I have a new old stock + 030 HEPLEX piston for a M21 it weighs 471 grams this for a complete piston with pin, rings,clips..Dave

Thanks Dave that helps.
Anyone with a different size or standard size Heplex piston for a comparison? It looks like I'll need to lighten my pattern piston as it weighs in at 514 grams with pin and rings.

+20 complete with pin and rings 459 gram.
+40 complete with pin and rings 474 gram.
+60 complete with pin and rings 485 gram.

All NOS original BSA M21 pistons.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Recommended maximum difference between 'old' and 'new' pistons at rebore is 1 1/2oz.(42.52 grms)...The BSA pistons average out at a difference of .458 oz.(13 grms)..so well within tolerance...So, at 514 grms the pattern piston is overweight if the current size is std. or +.020" and just inside if the current size is +.040"....Though some weight reduction would be advantageous...I really don't understand why pattern piston manufacturers don't make them the right weight. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

What would be the best way to reduce weight on a piston ?

On the advice of Edd Abbott, when I fitted a heavier piston to my Matchless. I got my engineer to remove 1/4" (6.35mm) from the bottom of the piston. I have heard of poeple milling bits off around the gudgeon pin boss's. But at least what I did, didn't weeken the piston. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Material can often be removed from inside, under the 'crown' of the piston. Crown thickness can be reduced to approx. .175" thick without problems. I have run them down to .150" experimentally.. Many pistons are made from a common 'blank' and still have the additional material inside to accomodate the valve pockets in the top face for OHV applications. Of course you don't need those in a sidevalve, so all of that material can be removed as well. Pattern pistons frequently use heavier gudgeon pins than original (with parallel bores)..Original pins were tapered internally and are lighter, so fitting one of these will usefully save some weight. If the skirt forms a full circle, a chamfer can be machined around the inside edge to form a more or less sharp edge which removes a little more material....Ian

I'd have thought the tapered pins would be heavier Ian? More metal in the middle?

Hi Douglas...Same amount (roughly) in the middle as the parallel pin, but tapering outwards from there to each end and getting progressively thinner..and lighter....Ian

Thanks all for your input. I see a diet in the future for this piston.

Nieuwe pagina 1