Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol tank

Just cleaned out the 3/8" BSP Threads from powder coat and can see quite a bit of rust in the petrol tank, is there any product I could use to clean the tank out with, prior to putting petrol in it?
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Re: Petrol tank

It would have been a good idea to clean to tank out before powder coating, but depending how bad the rust is you could use some small nuts and bolts and roll them round with some paraffin (count them first). If it's worse than that you may have to use some chemical rust eater to neutralise it. Personally I wouldn't use tank sealer unless it was leaking very badly and then make sure it's ethanol proof. It would be a good idea to have a filter gauze on your petrol tap. I've just put one on a tap that I got off a broken tap, they are easily soldered on. Heat up the tap not the gauze. Any flame on the gauze and it will burn a hole in it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Petrol tank

Thanks Horror,

Nuts and bolts with parrafin is ideal as it aint that bad as the tank was sand blasted before powder coating, it's just that it's been sitting in the garage for 6 months after powder coating, totally dry but in a humid garage, so the inside is a little brownish.
Great tip and will definately be counting the nuts and bolts prior.

Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1