The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Avro Lancaster Bomber

Subject: Lancaster video.

A great video of a rare serviceable aircraft

If you have ever wondered what it was like to fly one of these or be the gunner in one of these,

You will know after watching this.

A magnificent video that came from Canada.

This REALLY does make you think that whatever job you do – it doesn’t even compare with the
dangerous environment that was faced by the crews of these aircraft -- night -- after night -- after night
on bombing missions !!

The aircraft is the Canadian Warplane Heritage Mynarski Memorial Lancaster, one of only two of the type left flying in the world ...
and the ONLY one the public has access to.
The other one is still considered ON STRENGTH with the Royal Air Force and flies as the centrepiece of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Now ... imagine 1000 of these flying by night into a blacked-out hostile Occupied Europe from Britain, flown and crewed by men
under 25 yrs of age for the most part. Imagine their courage ... and their fears.

Imagine what would be going through your mind, if one of them was your young son ...

We often speak of The Fallen as heroes.
I believe anyone who went, no matter how large or small their role, earned the title and our enduring gratitude.
Because they did, we will never have to do as they did, on that scale, ever again.

They truly were the Greatest Generation.

Click on below – and / or alternatively send it to someone you know who is an aircraft enthusiast

http://vimeo.com/15498493

Sit back and enjoy

Re: Avro Lancaster Bomber

7 looks already ! my old WM20 sounds better,maybe faster as well.

Very nice.
Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

As fine a bit of 'off topic' as we are likely to see!

In fairness the public do have access to the one at South Kirby, and a very few lucky ones of us have been inside (but not flown) in the RAF one. With a bit of luck the Kirby one will be flying again eventually.

If you enjoyed the above then you will enjoy this of the NZ Mosquito. Select 'view on full screen' for maximum effect.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/North_America_Mosquito_207957-1.html

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

btb
As fine a bit of 'off topic' as we are likely to see!

In fairness the public do have access to the one at South Kirby, and a very few lucky ones of us have been inside (but not flown) in the RAF one. With a bit of luck the Kirby one will be flying again eventually.

If you enjoyed the above then you will enjoy this of the NZ Mosquito. Select 'view on full screen' for maximum effect.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/North_America_Mosquito_207957-1.html
[/
quote] East kirkby.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

My Dad was a Lanc pilot with 195 squadron operating out of Wratting Common , Cambridgeshire from Dec '44 to end of the war in Europe. Flew 34 ops (26 bombing - a third of them at night and a few 1000 bomber raids , 3 food drops to the Dutch , 2 repatriation of POWs , 3 post-mortem bombing evaluations). Shot up a few times , losing an engine on one raid. Just 23 years old when the war ended.

Tomek - if you're reading this , hope the '41 WDM20 you bought from me in Jan is working out OK !

email (option): fanning_james@hotmail.com

James fanning
My Dad was a Lanc pilot with 195 squadron operating out of Wratting Common , Cambridgeshire from Dec '44 to end of the war in Europe. Flew 34 ops (26 bombing - a third of them at night and a few 1000 bomber raids , 3 food drops to the Dutch , 2 repatriation of POWs , 3 post-mortem bombing evaluations). Shot up a few times , losing an engine on one raid. Just 23 years old when the war ended....

Thanks James, I was at the receiving end of those food droppings! Something you'll never forget...
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

50 calibre machine guns in the top turret i alway thought lanc used .303 ammo through the war and is this lanc the one that was caught in a fire some years ago

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

James

4th picture down "Fanny by Searchlight" thats got to be your Father
http://www.wcnhistory.org.uk/tags-gallery-sqn195-10.html

My Grandfather fixed them and his Brother was as Pilot with....195Sqn at Wratting Common! I'm going to email you, but I have a truck load of information, photos and stories. He was also on the food drop missions, Hans was there..

In 26 days time, I get my ride in Just Jane.

http://www.fieldandrurallife.com/magazine/july-10/503-lancaster-bombers-.html

http://www.wcnhistory.org.uk/
(I have a rather lovely copy of the Squadron photo, given to me by my freind Peter Mid-Upper Gunner 195, who has since passed away.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

thanks for bringing this to our attention. a wonderful film. best impression i have ever had of a lancaster flying. thanks peter

Great stuff, Kit, how did you manage to sort a flight in Just Jane?
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Pete Ingram
Great stuff, Kit, how did you manage to sort a flight in Just Jane?
Pete

:-) Pay! You cannot get flights yet, it is restricted to taxi runs and anyone willing to pay the fee can have a seat

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides/taxy-ride-experience-1.htm

Current cost on the website is £260. I assume the funds swell the coffers to help get it back in to the air.

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

Nice video, but WHY do they attach the annoying music??
It's like watching the horrible DUKE motorcycle video's.....

But, as I like WW2 aeroplanes, I would like to share this one too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I have got a tail up taxi ride in early May in the East Kirkby Lancaster.
£260 sounds a lot of money, but it will be a once in lifetime chance tto feel that airframe come alive to the four Rolls Royce Merlines

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

roger
50 calibre machine guns in the top turret i alway thought lanc used .303 ammo through the war and is this lanc the one that was caught in a fire some years ago

Mostly Browning .303 m/guns fitted to Lancs but towards the end of the war a few were kitted out with .50 calibre guns , like the American B17's , etc - more destructive punch.

Another late armament mod to the Lanc was the fitting of a mid-under gun position to cover the sky underneath and protect the vulnerable underbelly of the aircraft. Apart from enemy fighter attacks from below , the Luftwaffe had also developed their famous night fighter "schrage music" (slanting music or jazz music) strategy whereby a cannon mounted vertically though the top of a Messerschmidt 110 would fly undetected under the RAF bomber , matching it's airspeed , then let loose with the cannon at virtually point blank range. A highly dangerous tactic for all concerned as occasionally the entire bomb load would blow up taking the fighter with it.

My Dad's operational records show he flew some ops with a mid-under gunner requiring an 8th crew member.

email (option): fanning_james@hotmail.com

Peter, my lady bought it for me last year for my 40th, no doubt I'll end up shedding a tear or two. I loved that new video clip, my eyes swelled up thinking of my Grandfathers efforts, his stories and what my Uncle went through, infact all those who Flew.

Since I can remember I've loved visiting old airfields, I drove to them when I first learnt to drive and reguarly visit on what ever motorcycle I'm riding. This year I hope to take the BSA up to do a few laps of Wratting.

Its been hugely rewarding finding out about my Grandfathers brother, the family lost all his records as they were all thrown away, the family simply had had enough of war, then over time everyone forgot about the details of what he did, apart from that he was based in Cambridgeshire somewhere, he was shot down once, but came back.(He actually got shot down on the Volwinkle raid around Dec '44, landed in Brussels airport, one of the gunners who was new to the crew that day bailed out, my Uncle said to the guys stay with the aircraft as I'll get us all down OK, which he did for his DFC and they spent a week in Brussels drinking with another crew, his best mate Ken Hamilton who is in the Wratting gallery,flew out to pick them up, but both Lancs got straffed on the ground). At the end of the war they also flew ground crew over Berlin to see the damage, then he, Ken and another crew took 3 Lancs on a jolly to Sydney,Australia on a good will flight and back. My Uncle also instructed Glider Pilots for Arnhem during a rest period, one of whom's son I've spoken to, the Tiger moth he taught in, survived until the 1980's, I have a picture of it and tried to trace it but no joy, apparently it went to Sweden, crashed, sent to the UK for repairs and thats where I lose it..

Its really touched my soul finding out about him, visiting the places he flew from with his boys. When we brought our Daughter home for the first time, the BBMF Lanc flew over the house 3 times at about 500-1000ft and I felt that they were both up there in the cockpit looking down on us. Maybe I get a bit too emotional about this stuff, but I have their names on my M20 tank.

The plan as I understandd it for Just Jane is to try to fly it after a period of refurbishment next year, so no taxi runs for a while. 4 Engines have been aquired and refurbished. We'll also be at the hanger dance to support the fund.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1