Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
broken kickstart

It is now the second time in a short period of time that my kickstart lever breaks or cracks near/around the hole of the cotter pin.
The lever has however a perfect fit on the shaft.

What caused it ?

Thanks for any help.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: broken kickstart

Have you taken the gearbox cover off to see the condition of the shock absorbing rubber that should help cushion the kickstart quadrant on it's return, when I pulled my box apart this rubber was wasted and would allow the kickstart spring to bring the quadrant up against the ali casing, this would provide allot of shock through the shaft and maybe the cause of the crack?
The rubber costs pennys to buy but may provide many years of happiness.

Julian

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Are these new kickstarts ? If so then it sounds like a quality problem. It should be almost impossible to break a correctly forged one.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

It could be Julian, but the rubber is brand new.

John

Yes Rik, these were new levers.

One from a shop in Holland (got my money back) and the other one from Austria. Because in Holland they were no longer available at the time.
I think this time: NOS !

Next time I will show a photo.

John

You were lucky, one of my customers bought a Matchless splined one and it broke twice! I have heard of one snapping that has resulted in someone having to have stitches in his shin. I would make sure that you send it back with a strong letter of complaint, please don't just put it down to experience, please make sure you send it back and ask for a refund. Most suppliers aren't aware that their products are faulty if no one sends them back if they break, so if you ask for your money back They have to claim the money back from their supplier and in turn the supplier won't order any more from the manufacturer unless they improve their quality.

email (option): Davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi John,

I think I might have a used original one for you.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks Henk, please sent me the details to my PM.

John

Dave Plumb
You were lucky, one of my customers bought a Matchless splined one and it broke twice! I have heard of one snapping that has resulted in someone having to have stitches in his shin. I would make sure that you send it back with a strong letter of complaint, please don't just put it down to experience, please make sure you send it back and ask for a refund. Most suppliers aren't aware that their products are faulty if no one sends them back if they break, so if you ask for your money back They have to claim the money back from their supplier and in turn the supplier won't order any more from the manufacturer unless they improve their quality.

Will do Dave. But I do not get it. It is only 4.9:1 compression .
For years I owned a Harley-Davidson 1200 cc twin, never any trouble

John

My guess is that these are cast components originating in the Indian sub-continent.

If you think about the abuse that the original forged items could take during their service life, it seems evident that there must be a major shortcoming in the part. I would think that a properly forged lever could take a load measured in tonnes rather than kilos.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

In the past I've seen some atrocious methods of starting. They seem intimidated and actually kick the kickstarter rather than put your weight on it and push!

Your compression is just too high !

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Noam Zehavi
Your compression is just too high !

Apparently it is easy to reduce the compression ratio by the simmple method of a series of 1/4" holes drilled through the crown of the piston reducing the high compression ratio down to a more reasonable 1:1, Why they had such high compression on a WM20 is beyond me!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Here we have pics of a kickstart on the brink of breaking. Dangerous as Dave pointed out.
I am now in the process of getting a refund from Vintage Motorcycles Austria.

John

John,
I may have a original used one in my box of M bits, if you still want one mail me direct and i will have a look and send you a pic.

Tim Walker

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Tim W
John,
I may have a original used one in my box of M bits, if you still want one mail me direct and i will have a look and send you a pic.

Tim Walker

Thanks Tim, but Henk will sent me one allready.

John

It's in the mail John and it should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk, I will let you know when I get it in my mailbox.
Furthermore I will be very carefull starting the engine. According the guys in Austria, I have to use the valve lifter otherwise the kickstart lever will break

John

Yes...it's obviously your fault...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well Ian, think I was lucky, 40 years ago, kickstarting my Harley-davidson Duo Glide 1200cc twin and not breaking it, because there was no decompression lever.

John

Hi John...Sounds like the answer might be finding a way to fit a Duo Glide kickstart!... ...(I wish my Sportster had one)...Ian

Actually British Bike Austrias' 'explanation' reminds me of the now retired chap who ran Speedo Repairs..He suggested my expensively overhauled speedo might have gone wrong because I'd ridden the bike in heavy rain.. ..Ian

Dave Plumb
I would make sure that you send it back with a strong letter of complaint, please don't just put it down to experience, please make sure you send it back and ask for a refund. Most suppliers aren't aware that their products are faulty if no one sends them back if they break, so if you ask for your money back.

Dave,
I got a full refund (incl.postage) from Vintage Motorcycles.

John

Nieuwe pagina 1